Old Slide Collection.

I recently found an old collection of slides given to me some years ago. How can I convert them to a more uptodate medium such as cd/dvd?

How large a collection are you looking at? If it runs into 100s you may be best to buy a film scanner and scan them yourself, although this is very time consuming.

Have you been able to view the slides on a lightbox, projector or viewer? Are they worth the time and effort to digitise?

No more than 100 I would estimate. Yes they are good quality phtographs.

I realise this is an old thread but I am in a similar situation to the OP.

I have a collection of slides that my late father put together 40 years+ ago - they are still in good nick and are of great sentimental value.

There may be about 100 that I would like making into prints.

I am a technophobe and have no experience of scanning or digitising things!

Can any of you photography experts advise me as to where I could have this done or offer any advice about this project.

ANY help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

I realise this is an old thread but I am in a similar situation to the OP.

I have a collection of slides that my late father put together 40 years+ ago - they are still in good nick and are of great sentimental value.

There may be about 100 that I would like making into prints.

I am a technophobe and have no experience of scanning or digitising things!

Can any of you photography experts advise me as to where I could have this done or offer any advice about this project.

ANY help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

I scanned my wifes slides on the scanner of ours and they came out very good.I would offer to do them for you if you could wait another 5 weeks.Free.

Slide scanners are available for around $100 US They are simple and give decent results.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/cartography/slides.html

From the website

"With this scanner we are able to offer a batch scanning service for 35mm slides and negatives at the cost of £2.00 per slide/frame. For this we will scan your slides at 4,000ppi (with dust and scratch removal), re-orientate, remove borders and save in both TIFF and JPEG formats, so you can add them to your digital collections just like any other digital photo. We return your slides together with a CD or data DVD of the digital images saved at three resolutions suitable for most uses (low resolution JPEG - screen/PowerPoint, medium-res JPEG - general use, high-res TIFF - printing and large reproduction), together with a zipped archive of the original scanner TIFF files. We can also take work from customers outside the University - but sadly, we then have to charge VAT."

Edited by terrorfirma

I did some by making or buying a light box,I made a slide holder and fastened to the light box so that slides could easily be added or removed.Set my camera up on a tripod,a bit of trial and error(digital) and soon got into a rhythm .here's a sample.I t was taken in Singapore in the 1960's and copied a couple of years back.The original I think was taken with a Exacta vx 1000,Singapore is not a very good place for storing images due to humidity,so not too bad.

CKTang.jpg

I scanned my wifes slides on the scanner of ours and they came out very good.I would offer to do them for you if you could wait another 5 weeks.Free.

Thanks for your kind offer Kidorry.

My OH is considering investing in a scanner but I may need your expertise in the future.

Many thanks again.

Thanks for your kind offer Kidorry.

My OH is considering investing in a scanner but I may need your expertise in the future.

Many thanks again.

Not a problem.

I have just had some slides converted and they have come out ok, this was with a 4000dpi scanner,you need to get the best quality you can from a scan. If any slides have faded i would give them a miss