View Full Version : Wagon Wheels - Have they shrunk?

Lickszz
20-02-2003, 15:13
I find this kind of thing totally laughable. Has anyone noticed the size of Wagon Wheels these days? Is it me of have they seem to have shrunk? Back in the day they used to be the size of my hand, these days they are nothing more than a little biscuit. The best thing about it is that on the packaging they have the cheek to put "Original Wagon Wheel". Are they trying to take the p*** or what?

halevan
20-02-2003, 20:28
Daren't eat them, too fat already, getting fatter by the hour, never look for them, nice but naughty, never stop, walk straight on. You should do the same, use willpower, keep your money in your pocket. :D

Lickszz
21-02-2003, 11:12
Originally posted by "halevan"

Daren't eat them, too fat already, getting fatter by the hour, never look for them, nice but naughty, never stop, walk straight on. You should do the same, use willpower, keep your money in your pocket. :D

Oh, I don't eat them anymore....but getting fat is not the reason. I just don't like getting ripped off. :)

RPG
21-02-2003, 11:45
do you not think that when you were younger your hands were smaller :lol:

there is proof WagonWheels havent changed size, as they measured one back "in the day" as you say, and they are the same size, its just a brain trick.

Mars Bars on the other hand...

Lickszz
21-02-2003, 12:06
Originally posted by "RPG"

do you not think that when you were younger your hands were smaller :lol:

there is proof WagonWheels havent changed size, as they measured one back "in the day" as you say, and they are the same size, its just a brain trick.

No, I meant the size of my hand now. Where is this proof? I know it's alot smaller. Just the same as Walkers crisps only fill half the bag as a pose to a full bag back in the day.

halevan
22-02-2003, 11:26
Come, Come, now if you don't eat them why buy them, are you being economical with the truth? OOHH, you are awfull but I like you. :lol: :lol:

Lickszz
22-02-2003, 12:44
Originally posted by "halevan"

Come, Come, now if you don't eat them why buy them, are you being economical with the truth? OOHH, you are awfull but I like you. :lol: :lol:hey, I don't buy them honest! but perhaps I do take a good look at them pretty often. Like I say I did buy them in my youth but not now.

Michael_W
22-02-2003, 18:09

I too thought that but it must be said everything has got smaller and the packaging bigger. I think the original Mars bars were somewhere between the current size and the 'King Size' version. Now what about the chocolate on the Club biscuits, is it me or has the chocolate layer got thinner ?

zeke
28-02-2003, 01:01
Who said wagon wheels were always the same size, come on own up.
It's a lie.
I ate them when I was a nipper... I ate them when I was a teenager.
They have shrunk.
As for Mars bars check out my website on the 'nostalgia' page.
http://www.geocities.com/miseryguts2002/

Sidla
28-02-2003, 17:21
Originally posted by "Lickszz"

No, I meant the size of my hand now. Where is this proof? I know it's alot smaller. Just the same as Walkers crisps only fill half the bag as a pose to a full bag back in the day.
Walkers actually have more crisps nowadays. There used to be only 30g but now there's 34.5g. I remember when they used to be 20p though, you'd struggle to find them for less than 30p now.

RPG
28-02-2003, 18:38
yup, walkers put more crisps in now, and they make the bag bigger to make it look like you have more crisps

Lickszz
11-06-2003, 02:28
What about Curly Wurly's am I wrong or did they used to be much bigger at one time?

spook
11-06-2003, 07:46
You've missed the most important thing that Wagon Wheels are now chocolate flavour :shock:

Foxxx
14-06-2003, 23:59
Originally posted by "Sidla"

Walkers actually have more crisps nowadays. There used to be only 30g but now there's 34.5g. I remember when they used to be 20p though, you'd struggle to find them for less than 30p now.

Has that not got something to do with the fact that there are more crisps in them now, and inflation!! :D Things don't stay the same price forever!
Companies have either got to keep the price the same but make the product smaller so we don't complain the price has gone up, or they keep it the same size and increase the price! Just a thought!

Neo
15-06-2003, 16:02
:lol: My mum often points the size thing out to me..
Same with the chocolate flavour thing, the last time I had one I thought it was disgusting.. I remember them being MUCH better.

The fact is that if companies find a way to make more money from spending less, then they will do it.. :?

RPG
15-06-2003, 16:13
lol, yeah its more like chocolate flavour plastic ;)

Lickszz
22-06-2003, 17:11
Originally posted by Foxxx

Has that not got something to do with the fact that there are more crisps in them now, and inflation!! :D Things don't stay the same price forever!
Companies have either got to keep the price the same but make the product smaller so we don't complain the price has gone up, or they keep it the same size and increase the price! Just a thought!

What about when the price goes up and the product reduces in size as well? I think this is the case with Wagon Wheels.

halevan
25-06-2003, 19:32
everything is a rip off!

Foxxx
25-06-2003, 20:22
I don't care anymore because I don't eat chocolate or crisps!!!!
So they can put the price up if they want! :)

pitsmoorlad
27-04-2005, 08:26
Need to get people's opinions on this, it's been the subject of more discussion than the election, football and what the Beckhams are up to.
Are Wagon Wheels smaller now than they used to be, (the chocolate biscuits, before some bright spark goes on about historical forms of travel)
A friend claims to have witnessed an interview with the originator who claims they've always been the same size, but they seem to have shrunk to me with the passing of the years, as many things do. Someone out there must have the answer..

docmel
27-04-2005, 08:30
I'm with you on this one mate.

I know in a small pudgy kids hand the things could seem quite large compared to the shovels I got now, but am convinced they are smaller.

Same with walnut whips I think - though not seen those for ages do they still make them? or has my passion for Yorkie bars blind me to all other confectionary?

Dj_Shadowman
27-04-2005, 08:53
They are certainly smaller than I remember...

Fantomas
27-04-2005, 08:55
This is from one of the comments on the nice cup of tea and a sit down (http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/) website:

The 'has it got smaller' debate over the size of a Wagon Wheel is a perennial favourite, and gets picked up by the press every year or so in a slow news week. Interest probably peaked in the mid 90's, when French & Saunders did a sketch with Dawn dressed as a schoolgirl cramming a huge Wagon Wheel into her mouth.Burton's stock answer is 'no they haven't', and the apparent shrinkage is due to an adult's fond childhood memories of eating a Wagon Wheel held in a much smaller hand. However, this is not strictly true. The product was originally made in the Weston's factory at Slough. This closed in the early 80's, and production was transferred to a more modern plant at Llantarnam in South Wales. The old plant produced biscuits with a crinkled edge, but the new more efficient roller (sorry to get a bit geeky) did away with these in favour of a smooth circumference. This meant that the overall diameter of the biscuit was reduced by the thickness of the previous scalloped edge. Not much, probably only 5mm in total, but enough to make them just slightly smaller. So in a sense both arguments are true. The current product is slightly smaller, but not as much as those fond childhood memories will fool you into thinking. There's probably no-one left at Burton's who would remember this, but I have it on good authority from the Manufacturing Manager who supervised the transfer of production.

little malc
27-04-2005, 11:13
I actually had one of these the other day as a sudden flush of nostalgia came over me, was a little disapointed as I thought the quality of the chocolate coating was not what it used to be, but as for size, it certainly seemed smaller than remembered.

bellis
27-04-2005, 11:18
Originally posted by docmel

I know in a small pudgy kids hand the things could seem quite large compared to the shovels I got now, but am convinced they are smaller.

Same with walnut whips I think - though not seen those for ages do they still make them? or has my passion for Yorkie bars blind me to all other confectionary?

i dont no if wagon wheels are smaller but i know rowntrees dont do coffee walnut wips anymore but i heard a rumour they do export them:o

poppins
27-04-2005, 11:23
Originally posted by panda79
i dont no if wagon wheels are smaller but i know rowntrees dont do coffee walnut wips anymore but i heard a rumour they do export them:o

EXPORT THEM !!!!!!!!! Please let me know if you have any inside infomation as to WHERE they export them to !!!!!

Fantomas
27-04-2005, 11:31
Originally posted by little malc
I actually had one of these the other day as a sudden flush of nostalgia came over me, was a little disapointed as I thought the quality of the chocolate coating was not what it used to be, but as for size, it certainly seemed smaller than remembered.

Wagon Wheels have actually recently started using real chocolate, they used to have 'chocolate flavour coating'. So the quality is actually higher but obviously the taste is different!

poppins
27-04-2005, 11:45
I think eventually all biscuits ect get smaller in size, this way they keep the price the same so we can say, Oh! imagine that, the price is STILL the same after all these years.

viking
27-04-2005, 11:49
Originally posted by docmel

How do you explain then that your "Todger" got bigger with age.

(well mine did anyway)

Mo
27-04-2005, 12:06
Originally posted by Fantomas
Wagon Wheels have actually recently started using real chocolate, they used to have 'chocolate flavour coating'. So the quality is actually higher but obviously the taste is different!

Yes they did. It was awful. :gag:
They also do jam ones now. :clap:

Bad_Hair_Day
27-04-2005, 12:23
Most things you have as a kid seem smaller when you have them as an adult - maybe it's down to our hands getting bigger???

investigator
27-04-2005, 12:28
They've def got smaller - I have to eat 2 now. Monster Munch are smaller too.

fergal
27-04-2005, 12:38
totally straying off the topic (sorry) can anyone remember in the 70s when twix bars was just one single bar?. longer in length than a twix as we know it today but just the one bar.

back on topic wagon wheels are much smaller than they used to be. why does everything seem to get smaller in size and never bigger (in confectionery terms anyway)!!

peterdo
28-04-2005, 00:56
yes I agree they are much smaller than they used to be.
in oz they now slice the bread thicker so that you don't as many sandwiches per loaf. :smile:

owdlad
28-04-2005, 07:05
Originally posted by viking
How do you explain then that your "Todger" got bigger with age.

(well mine did anyway)

We will only believe that if pictures are included :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

viking
28-04-2005, 07:12
Originally posted by owdlad
We will only believe that if pictures are included :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

This is me with my big **** Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/viking99/forums/vikingschicken.jpg)

This is our lass with her big puss Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/viking99/forums/brothercat.jpg)

This is me playing with my todger Cheeky face (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/viking99/forums/unitedite.jpg)

owdlad
28-04-2005, 07:40
Originally posted by viking
This is me with my big **** Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/viking99/forums/vikingschicken.jpg)

This is our lass with her big puss Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/viking99/forums/brothercat.jpg)

This is me playing with my todger Cheeky face (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/viking99/forums/unitedite.jpg)

You want to get off to the Doc's that **** is off colour :gag:

Timbuck
28-04-2005, 09:48
Anyway "back to Wagon Wheels"...When I was 15 years old in 1954 Wagon Wheels were a new thing..I was an office Boy in a Rate Fixing department..and an Engineer measured the biscuit and anounced it was 3 1/2 inch dia: it also cost 3 1/2 d....he bet that the size would diminish as time went by....Did it ??? what do they measure now??.

Lickszz
28-04-2005, 21:18
Threads merged.

LordSnooty
29-04-2005, 22:02
Originally posted by Lickszz
as a pose

Good grief, what some people will do in the name of fashion!

BoroughGal
30-04-2005, 00:42
Talking of hands,

Jeremy Beadle has a big willy,
on the other hand, it's quite small.

Sorry, I'll get me coat...

peterdo
30-04-2005, 00:47
Should think so to :clap: what's up? carn't sleep? :smile:

BoroughGal
30-04-2005, 01:36
Working mate!! I'm in a bit of a cheeky mood tonight though!

So Peterdo, before we get done for not PM'ing, do you think Wagon Wheels have shrunk??

:thumbsup:

Kristian
30-04-2005, 02:02
Originally posted by fergal
totally straying off the topic (sorry) can anyone remember in the 70s when twix bars was just one single bar?. longer in length than a twix as we know it today but just the one bar.

back on topic wagon wheels are much smaller than they used to be. why does everything seem to get smaller in size and never bigger (in confectionery terms anyway)!!

I didn't think there was that much chocolate around in 1870s? :huh: :D

BoroughGal
30-04-2005, 04:33
Originally posted by Kristian
I didn't think there was that much chocolate around in 1870s? :huh: :D

Was that message meant for feArgal, rather than fergal?

Heheheheheh!! :hihi:

missb
30-04-2005, 11:12
Back in the 70's Wagon Wheels really were the size of wagon wheels:D Seriously, they have shrunk I seem to remember them as being as big as a CD is today.

Lickszz
30-04-2005, 13:59
Originally posted by LordSnooty
Good grief, what some people will do in the name of fashion!
......and you sir, are a dedicated rascal..... ;)

Kristian
30-04-2005, 19:28
Originally posted by BoroughGal
Was that message meant for feArgal, rather than fergal?

Heheheheheh!! :hihi:

Apologies! :blush: That is going to get confusing....

feargal
01-05-2005, 07:58
I don't care, so long as the insults meant for me are all re-directed. ;)

Besides, it's very comforting to know that both BoroughGal and Kristian are much older than me.

oldwest1875
02-01-2007, 11:37
Hi now i dont claim to know about how this blogging thing works y'all but i remeber in the 1870s wagon wheels had a purpose they were neccersary for moving around from place to place and they certainly werent some kind of namby pamby biscuit and they were as tall as a man and as wide as a similar wheel (not used for wagons) and they taste powerful awful like licking a tree so any kinda chocolate would have been a marked improvement on long trails though dusty days and night and JAM well shoot me and call me ernie jam was pretty much currency back then i killed 17 men for a spoonful of jam one winter night dam mother fu**er:hihi: :hihi:
the newest dam horse fu**ing blogger in the new west
the colonel (not kfc dam mother fu**ers)

tonytiger64
21-03-2009, 20:29
think about it this way. when i last went to infants school ( the same one I went to) to see my sons nativity play I saw the toilets where I used to go as a kid. The toilet bowls seemed so high to get on. now they are really tiny by comparison. lol :hihi:

shane39
21-03-2009, 20:40
I used to think my winkle looked big when i was a wee kid.
Now i'm all grown up it looks small.

Reaches for noose.

fitbird
21-03-2009, 22:32
All the chocolate and sweets have changed since I was young. They are smaller (and thats not just cos my hands are bigger) They done even taste the same. It seems to have gone all european especially Nestle. I had a walnut whip the other day and I was bitterly disappointed.

VideoPro
22-03-2009, 00:51
It seems to have gone all european especially Nestle.

Well, they are a Swiss company. Not surprising really.

Conker2
22-03-2009, 08:26
This thread was started in 2003. I wonder how much further wagon wheels have shrunk in the six years since this question was asked.

watchcoll
22-03-2009, 08:57
many things ahev gotten smaller recently, because of the current state of finances - they call it 'short sizing' ie putting a bit less in the packet but still charging the same price, as long as the weight stated on pack is correct they can do it legally.

most recent example is walkers sensatons crisps - jazzed up new packet now has 160g instead of 175g for the same price.....

thibk some jaffa cakes have gone from 12 to 10 cakes in a pack as well?

lyndix
22-03-2009, 09:21
I used to think my winkle looked big when i was a wee kid.
Now i'm all grown up it looks small.

Reaches for noose.

Maybe it is!:suspect:

Agent Orange
22-03-2009, 09:33
They are pretty small, as is most other things these days. I am not sure if it's a case of they have remained the same size and it's just that I've got bigger or the fact that the companies are becoming tight wads :suspect:

lyndix
22-03-2009, 11:43
They are pretty small, as is most other things these days. I am not sure if it's a case of they have remained the same size and it's just that I've got bigger or the fact that the companies are becoming tight wads :suspect:

Are you talking about winkles or wagon wheels?:suspect:

fitbird
27-03-2009, 23:38
Well, they are a Swiss company. Not surprising really.

True, very true. Its hard to find anything truly British (as in 'good old fashioned bulldog British' these day. :|

LukeD
28-03-2009, 00:34
omg!! Yeah. i think you'll find that everything has ****ing shrunk. I bought some Breakaways the other day. Guess what? They'd shrunk. Then i bougt some tescos Bakewell tarts. They'd shrunk too. BUT the packaging is still the same size. Innit. GRR

James3670
08-07-2012, 18:18
I love this forum, I have never joined one before, and am not from Sheffield. I joined because I was having the very same argument about the alleged shrinking Wagon Wheel, I am firmly in the perception camp, ie. we have smaller hands, further research from the manufacturers, and now this discussion. My mother, however, refuses to believe this, and (with no proof or logic) still claims they were bigger.

Congrats on this cheery forum.

Oh, on the subject of confectionary getting smaller...
Why then, paradoxically, are arses getting bigger?

stopgo
09-07-2012, 19:24

Your wrong about Walkers they used weigh 28g 20 years they now weigh 35g

poppet2
10-07-2012, 10:25
The taste of Lucozade has changed completely and used to be drunk for medicinal purposes only. To drink that was the only joy of being ill.

Agent Orange
10-07-2012, 11:51
The taste of Lucozade has changed completely and used to be drunk for medicinal purposes only. To drink that was the only joy of being ill.

It still tastes the same, unless you are drinking the orange and the berry flavoured drink.

DeathAxe
10-07-2012, 13:54
Actually it does taste different since they changed to plastic bottles. Plastic taints the taste of any drinks.

Same with oasis. Cola tastes better in glass bottles too.