View Full Version : Which is best, branded petrol or Supermarket Petrol?

d71146
06-09-2007, 21:38
I have been having a little trouble with a slight 'pinking' on my Rover car could anyone give any thoughts on which brand of petrol could be could be best quality and whether Supermarket fuel is as good as say one of the big brands as I have heard that using certain brands could induce engine 'pinking'.

Thanks.

Mantaspook
06-09-2007, 22:08
Generally speaking, the lower the octane, the more likely your car is liable to Ďpinkí

The best petrol, in my opinion, is the Shell optimax, I can see a distinct improvement in response & performance when thatís in my car, for instance, one day I have 'ordinary' petrol, a heavy load & whilst going uphill experience slight pinking. Two days later, identical situation except Iíve using optimax and the car flies up the hill, no problem.

BP ultimate has a slightly lower octane number than optimax, a mechanic friend is of the opinion that the octane is a bit variable possibly due to the powerful detergents used in the BP product.

Supermarket petrol seems OK for general pootling around but the car seems a little more sluggish, the octane number seems to be a little lower.

If the optimax doesnít cure the pinking it may be worth having your engine tuned to ensure the ignition is performing correctly, your Rover may need the ignition cycle to be retarded a little to match the octane of the petrol you use the most.

Old_Bloke
06-09-2007, 22:25
The only difference between the various brands of petrol is any additive that they choose to put in. So Optimax or whatever will have a little bottle of some chemical mixture added to each tanker load. The petrol itself all comes from the nearest refinery irrespective of which oil company owns it so it's basically the same.

Of course, super unleaded is higher octane so it should be a little better but any slight differences will only really be noticeable in high performance cars.

trainzfast
06-09-2007, 23:10
use supermarket petrol lower prices more incentives too llike morrisons miles vouchers. save them up and buy all your xmas sweets or beer

trainzfast
06-09-2007, 23:12
I have been having a little trouble with a slight 'pinking' on my Rover car could anyone give any thoughts on which brand of petrol could be could be best quality and whether Supermarket fuel is as good as say one of the big brands as I have heard that using certain brands could induce engine 'pinking'.

Thanks.

you could try using something like redex this could solve your pinking problems it also cleans your engine etc

Taximark
07-09-2007, 01:07
use supermarket petrol lower prices more incentives too llike morrisons miles vouchers. save them up and buy all your xmas sweets or beer

Yes i will!! thats £250 worth of free booze :hihi:

Stormy
07-09-2007, 02:11
Tesco unleaded is good, and cheap for the octane level

classicfan
07-09-2007, 07:29
The supermarkets just buy on the spot market at the lowest negotiable price, so you may get any brand being sold. The bulk they buy in means they command a lot of clout!
I agree with the comments about having the ignition timing checked out as it will pink if it's retarded. Try Paul Ross, Rotherham Autotune if you are in Rotherham area.

neeeeeeeeeek
07-09-2007, 07:38
I don't use supermarket petrol and if your car is pinking try sticking Shell petrol in it for a bit.

Guderian
07-09-2007, 07:53
I think Shell Optimax is now called V Power, in case you are confused.
Also, try Redex as an earlier poster suggested.
You could even splash out and but Redex "Advanced"!!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 6171_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varien t__categoryId_58758_crumb_33958-31345-58755_parentcategoryrn_58758

yorkiepudd
07-09-2007, 16:23
As an earlier poster stated, the supermarkets buy from anyone who will supply at the right price - and who can supply them in their particular location.

The additives will be different from, say, BP Ultimate or whatever, but will be identical to most branded standard fuels (the costs of producing a different lower grade fuel would be prohibitive and would not actually be cheaper!).

Chipmunk
07-09-2007, 21:02
Errr, what's pinking?

handypandy
07-09-2007, 21:10
d71146's Rover:cool:

ShinyPurple
07-09-2007, 21:14
It all tastes the same to me :hihi:

dccjb
07-09-2007, 22:09
Shells V power everytime

father ted
08-09-2007, 07:19
Of course, super unleaded is higher octane so it should be a little better but any slight differences will only really be noticeable in high performance cars.

I'm afraid I disagree. The vast majority of modern fuel injected cars incorporate a knock sensor into the engine management system. This sensor can detect the onset of knock (or 'detonation' or 'pinking') and alter the ignition timing dynamically to suit. This means that when using petrol with a higher octane, the ignition timing will be able to run more advanced, as the higher octane in the petrol will resist knock for a greater range of ignition timing. This directly leads to a performance gain in any car so equipped, which is 99% of everything made from the late 90's onwards.

father ted
08-09-2007, 07:21
checked out as it will pink if it's retarded.

I think you mean it will pink if NOT retarded, or, it will pink if its too advanced.

If its too retarded the engine will tend to run very hot. :)