Miraculous change in buildings

Have you noticed the number of buildings that were unaccessible because their owners said it was impossible as it was listed building are now miraculously accessible since the act came in. So many places I went with my family but had to sit outside while they went in are now ramped, with lifts etc.. I wish I'd kept all those letters and leaflets to show them now what hypocrites they were.

I know what you mean! I worked at the City Council for years and we tried to get The Old Town Hall to made accesible.... we kept hitting against the old chestnut, of listed buildings, etc... Now look! It's beautiful (from the outside, not been inside) and they've done a great job. It's such a shame it's taken this long.

The inside of the town hall has had some improvements although obviously having a Lord mayor who was in a wheelchair probably helped a bit.

Listed buildings though can be a real pain to adapt as you can't just start interfering with the actual structure such as widening doorways or putting in large lift shafts. If any improvements though are done well like the town hall exterior ramping then I don't see a problem

A lot of the buildings I've been refused access to have been large Buildings such as the York Museum. They have wide doorways already and often a lift which is a freight life but could have been adapted also there are wheelchair lifts that go up steps without altering the structure drastically. But there was always excuses. Now the ramps and lifts are in, wheelchair lifts etc.. City Hall has improved its access with the refit but it didn't alter the building drastically. I've been to a National trust place on Sunday that five years ago had virtually no access but now with a few wooden ramps and some wheelchair llifts I got round. It just took a little imagination.

Shame this miraculous change hasnt extended to other types of disabilities.

People do seem to focus on wheelchair users. I think one of the most neglected groups are people with partial sight. I had a friend with partial sight and I was on the Universities building committee and it was extremely hard to get them to realise that partial sighted people have different needs from those who are blind.

People do seem to focus on wheelchair users. I think one of the most neglected groups are people with partial sight. I had a friend with partial sight and I was on the Universities building committee and it was extremely hard to get them to realise that partial sighted people have different needs from those who are blind.

And the same could also be said for people with learning difficulties and/or communications disorders be this chronic stammering & stuttering or whatever.

Yes but that doesn't require a physical change in buildings. It requires more patience and understanding from people and is harder to legislate for.

Yes but that doesn't require a physical change in buildings. It requires more patience and understanding from people and is harder to legislate for.

Think this could be a serious error of judgment. Have you given any thought to all the security entry phones which require people to speak and announce who they are before being allowed entry in to the building just as one example.

Well yes this is a problem at my sons former primary school. To gain entrance you have to buzz for entry. The box is brown so cannot be seen by partially sighted, a difficult height for wheelchair users, and obviously a severe problem if you have hearing or speech difficulties and the gate is too heavy to open on your own if in wheelchair and coming out the button to open the gate is too high for anyone under 5ft or in a wheelchair. This was pointed out to them and they said they would do something (this was when my son joined Nursery). Now 7 years later absolutely nothing has been done, not even a repaint of the box. I was thinking more of large historic public buildings which are listed. I wasn't aware of any having entry phones. I'm sorry if you think I am ignoring your problems, I didn't mean to.

There is a group that works to inform and help the city council on disabled issues and access it is called the Access Liason group and as several of the members are disabled they can speak on a variety of issues with first hand experience. Although this group does sterling work it has been commented on that although there are plenty of disabled people in the city there are not many who are prepared to be more active and involve themselves with such groups.

The City Hall refurbishment had to alter several things after a guided tour was organised for the ALG and the new hotel St Paul's also was examine for example The group is involved in the on-going refurbishment and development of many public buildings and council run places and things do happen if some-times slowly.

What group is this? Where were they when I was looking for someone to allow me access to my childrens school and parents evenings? I've had 8 years of discussion with LEA school governors, local councillors, disabillity minister, and disabled rights organisations. Only when the act came in did I not have to remind the schools that I needed access even though we had established my rights several years before.