Is Yoga Unchristian?

This tale amused me:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=478755&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments

A 'yummy mummy' has been barred from holding yoga classes for toddlers in two church halls in Taunton because apparently Yoga is Unchristian.

Now while part of me cheers because I'm beginning to get fed up with all this trendy Yoga and yoghurt knitting stuff shoved at mums, I'm also a bit annoyed at these vicars and their bizarre old fashioned attitude. Isn't Yoga these days just another form of exercise? I could understand is they were doing classes in Transcendental Meditation but it's just Yoga for kids. And what exercise would be Christian? Self-flagellation classes? Advanced genuflexion? ;)

The comments from readers are also funny - some of them sound like they live in the US Bible belt, not the UK ;)

After I picked myself up off the floor laughing, I have to say it just confirms my views of the Christian church.

Yoga is based on a different philosophy, so obviously it is bad - most monotheistic religions claim you'll be damned if you don't believe in their particular god.

Narrow minded doesn't even come close :) I wonder if they also think she should be at home looking after her kids and be seen and not heard :hihi:

I like your alternative ideas, Mathom

It certainly made me swear in a rather un-Christianlike fashion when I tried it!

Always thought the 'war on terror' was a Christian plot to eliminate Yoga. My worst fears confirmed! :o

Would have made a better photo if she had shaved under her arms properly :gag:

I once read an article about some Buddhist monk who did a marathon every day as a religious act, I wonder if this Minister was aware of that if he'd conclude that long distance running is 'unchristian'?

Just because yoga is used by many branches of the dharmic religion that doesn't mean that it's inherently religious.

I don't understand - wasn't Yoga a character in Star Wars?

:hihi: Yoda

I don't understand - wasn't Yoga a character in Star Wars?

That was of course Yoda, though he does bear an uncanny wrinkled resemblance to Yoga fan Madonna these days ;)

I wonder if these churches also chuck out the Christmas tree, Holly, Santa and other trankelments round Christmas time, being that they are 'sinister' Pagan influences?

I wonder if these churches also chuck out the Christmas tree, Holly, Santa and other trankelments round Christmas time, being that they are 'sinister' Pagan influences?

The more serious ones do try, but they're fighting a losing battle and have been for two thousand years.

The condemnation of vicars such as these, is always founded on the assumption that they're wrong, and that faith in Jesus is not the only way to a better life. Since they believe that it is, they must, necessarily, refuse to condone any actions that go against that philosophy.

Anyone who is truly a Christian, would refuse to have anything whatsoever to do with Yoga; but most people who claim to be Christians don't take it remotely that seriously.