Sign in to follow this  

Should the government have abolished Dole for Job Seekers Allowance?

Should the government have abolished the dole for the Jobseekers Allowance?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should the government have abolished the dole for the Jobseekers Allowance?

• No
    • Yes
    • They did what!
    • Hang on and I'll ask my butler.

I was made unemployed just before Christmas by redundancy. Has anynoe had any luck with the various job agencies in the city, or is anyone aware of companies who wish to employ an extrmely bright Mathematics graduate with 3 months in Web Development ? :D .

At the moment I'm struggling to get my dole .. ahem ... "Jobseekers Allowance." Apparently, because my girlfriend is a student, and because we live together she has to claim the benfit as well, and then be made exempt from the claim, and then the claim has to be sent to a decision maker who will then say if I can get £40/wk. I've allready spent 5 hrs filling in forms and waiting for meetings, but I'll have to do another hour and a half on Tuesday, with my girlfriend, who really should be studying for her exams at that time. They really do get their pund of flesh. It will probably cost £40 to pay for the timeof all the people I will have spoken with by the end of the quest!

I just got a job on Thursday. I was applying for IT jobs all over the country, but nothing. I started looking at agencies and registered with quite a few (one thing sheffield has got it plenty of agencies). However, I didn't have any luck, wednesday morning the phone rang with a choice of 2 jobs, one perminent £13,000 :-(. And a temp to possible perm one that sounded much more interesting. So I took that. The next day I was in a shirt and tie and sat in my new office!

Don't let the agencies bully you in to a ****ty £5 ph job, have a little patiance and it will happen. Just get out there and shove that C.V under everybodies nose!!!

Good luck mate. Keep positive and keep looking.

One way to get your dole easy is to be.

1)Drug user

2)Male prostitute

3)Criminal or

4)Assylum seeker.

Or if you have never put anything into the system such as never done a days work in your life also helps.

Sorry to say but us genuine guys get nothing.

It is very difficult these days with all the red tape and legislation which comes from downing street. The people at the jobcentre hate it as much as you do Richard, but they have rules to stick to.

It's usually easier to get your benefit (even though it's not the right way round) to just say you're living on your own. That way there are no other complications.

If you are looking for work to tide you over for the mean time, you could pop into your jobcentre and asked to be put on the clerical register. You my end up being a civil servant but it's money till you find something more 'you'!

Don't be picky is my advice. It is much easier to get a job when you can fill in the bit that says current job/salary. There is a bit of prejudice in our society against people who are un-employed, you've only got to read some of the posts on this forum.

Try anything.

I,d disagree with that.

Why should he try anything, someone with his qualifications should have a right to do a job that fits his qualitys.

Stick it out and try to find something that suits your ability, though as Dabouncer says there is a register for temp clericalwork within the Civil Service and if you a degree then you usually find that you can move in on a higher grade.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

I,d disagree with that.

Why should he try anything, someone with his qualifications should have a right to do a job that fits his qualitys.

Stick it out and try to find something that suits your ability, though as Dabouncer says there is a register for temp clericalwork within the Civil Service and if you a degree then you usually find that you can move in on a higher grade.

I don't get this. You're encouraging people to sit at home taking tax payers' money when they could be gainfully employed? This doesn't gell with your earlier post about people not putting anything into the system.

I agree with the sentiment about sticking out for a career which is more suited to your qualifications. What if you had a PhD in Klingon, which is available in America? Would you condone sitting around hoping that they'll land?

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

I,d disagree with that.

Gotta disagree too CR I'm afraid. I'd also suggestion he takes any job that pays him money to live, while still looking for another job.

This is our tax we're talking about. If everyone sat at home till the right job came along that fits your own qualifications... this country would be worse off than it already is.

Take something for now... and press on finding the job you really want!

Originally posted by maxt

I don't get this. You're encouraging people to sit at home taking tax payers' money when they could be gainfully employed? This doesn't gell with your earlier post about people not putting anything into the system.

I agree with the sentiment about sticking out for a career which is more suited to your qualifications. What if you had a PhD in Klingon, which is available in America? Would you condone sitting around hoping that they'll land?

Not exactly encouraging him to stop at home at all maxt.

I am just pointing out that if he took a job that is below his qualification he may get stuck in it and trying to find altrernative employment is difficult when your already doing a full time job.

Some people work so hard at school and further education to get the results they have and finish up doing a job that under values there results.

I take your point about taking Tax payers money but Richard has already contributed to the system unlike many of the others i mention, and he is a willing party to take on employment again unlike to others i mentioned.

My advice is to, work out which companies you would like to work for, and then take any job you can in one of these organisations, once you get established there will be opportunities for movement sideways or upwards.

Extreme Eg you wanna work for Microsoft, get a job as a data inputter, then in you spare time, knock up a bit of code, befriend a top programmer and show im what you have done.

I quit my job (Multimedia Author) 2 years ago, before my son was born. I spent a while at home and then got a data entry job through Kelly's in town. Worked at the Environment agency in Rotherham processing hazmat consignment notes.

It kept me going. As someone pointed out, an application form looks a lot better if if you can state your current salary, rather than admit to living on benefit.

And you can usually get a job within a week.

The pay isn't good, but it's a lot more than JSA. When you go to an agency, make it clear that you are prepared to do boring work, and that you won't just walk oyt after afew days. Many agencies in Sheff seem to have a problem with graduates taking jobs that are too dull for their 'finely honed minds'.

Kelly's were really surprised that I stuck it out for 6 months, and I only left because I landed a job that paid a little more than double what I was getting at the time.

Also, it enforces a routine that will come in handy for when you land the job you're actually looking for - which I'm certain you will.