Photography at Sheffield College what a joke

Enrolment for the NCFE 1-2 in Digital photography was 2pm until 7pm. I arrived at 2:10pm to be told the digital course was full. In 10 minutes :loopy: They said they had a big queues so there started a bit early. I can't see the point of a course that only a very few have any chance of getting on. I then looked at introduction to photography but that was at Hillsborough and if Norton where already full after 10 mins i didn't think i had much chance. I phoned them and they said it wasn't intro to photography anymore they had changed it :rant: Its now a GCSE. They couldn't tell me much but said it should cover everything the NCFE covered. My problem is i have very little interest in darkroom stuff. I'm more interested in basic photography and digital work. I've signed up but i hope it covers what i wanted and isn't too stuffy and exam driven.

Sheffield college are crap. Anyone else had problems? Will the GCSE cover what i want to do?

i was at in the same queue, i think 14 registered (4 rolled over from last year which made the 18 limit) and i was 17th in line. i "let" the lady after me go on the waiting list for the digi, and i enrolled in the traditional course ( i've still got a canon film slr).

in fairness i arrived @ 1.20 and was behind a shed load of others who all wanted the same course.

it was a nightmare.

if you want basic/practical advice, visit http://www.goingdigital.co.uk , Jan runs small courses which are very good.

There is a similar course on the Open University (Code T189) This is a 10 week course that is all online.

It's 15 years since I did my GCSE photography so it will probably have changed a lot since then. A digital photograph was more likely to be a picture of a casio "calculator and watch" :)

But back then it was very darkroom-orientated.

I attended GCSE Photography at Hillsborough. I really enjoyed the course. Enrollment was a bit of a nightmare.

Enrolment for the NCFE 1-2 in Digital photography was 2pm until 7pm. I arrived at 2:10pm to be told the digital course was full. In 10 minutes :loopy: They said they had a big queues so there started a bit early. I can't see the point of a course that only a very few have any chance of getting on. I then looked at introduction to photography but that was at Hillsborough and if Norton where already full after 10 mins i didn't think i had much chance. I phoned them and they said it wasn't intro to photography anymore they had changed it :rant: Its now a GCSE. They couldn't tell me much but said it should cover everything the NCFE covered. My problem is i have very little interest in darkroom stuff. I'm more interested in basic photography and digital work. I've signed up but i hope it covers what i wanted and isn't too stuffy and exam driven.

Sheffield college are crap. Anyone else had problems? Will the GCSE cover what i want to do?

I can't see the point of a course that only a very few have any chance of getting on.
A course with a lot more people on will simply mean the tutor will not be able to spend as much time on each student. So if more people had been allowed on, I'm sure you'd be complaining about the amount of students on course instead.

What are you royalty calm down!:hihi: If the sheff college course does'nt meet your "expectations" then look elsewhere!

Has anyone noticed when this thread was started! i did'nt till just now whats that all about!