Sign in to follow this  

Coming to Study Sheffield/University

Hi-

I'm a doctoral student coming to do some research at the University of Sheffield, and I'm interested in what people on this chat forum think about the University's relationship with the city, and about the council's regeneration projects in general. Of course, any other comments, and suggestions would be immensely helpful. Please feel free to respond to me directly at kmgrinnell@wisc.edu

Cheers,

Max

Hi Max - welcome to the forums :)

You might want to browse the site - there is lots of information about moving to Sheffield already here. Otherwise you can just wait and I'm sure someone will share their views with you.

Geoff

Have learnt alot about the councils part in so called regeneration of the city. The Universities part in all of it from what I can tell, is to offer the council large sums of money for large chunks of the city. Thta's what seems to happen from my point of view. It may be beneficial for the council to earn this money from thier assests and may well help regenerate scruffy run down areas, but it does rather stop smaller worthwhile projects, OK, like mine (!!!) getting a look in.

Most of the money for regeneration come from European grants and various agencies like Yorkshire Forward etc. This money is very much targeted at providing new and better services for the communities it is granted to. You may be interested in finding out about the Upperthorpe and Netherthorpe Community Allience. They have information about all the SRB 5 funding that is going into the area. It's really good to see such posotive changes at last but I don't think the city council have a full grasp on the wider picture of the other ways in with an area can be regenerated. As you will find alot of in this forum, they can be quite shortsighted sometimes.

Guest Guest

Thanks for your help. I'm always looking for input into this subject, so if you are interested in talking further about this, please drop me a line at kmgrinnell@wisc.edu. Basically my study is to examine the approaches adopted by British and American universities in urban regeneration, in part by looking at the University of Sheffield, Oxford, and several other institutions.