Perseid Meteor Shower - 12 and 13 August

Just before dawn on the 12 and 13 August is very favorable for viewing of the Perseids meteor shower. I've seen this before on Salisbury Plain with something in the region of 1 shooting star per minute and it's a very impressive show.

If the sky is clear I was thinking of driving out somewhere with low light pollution and a good view of the Eastern sky about an hour before dawn. Can anyone recommend a suitable viewing place where I can safely park up nearby. I'm not planning on walking far as there is no moon and want to have a safe viewing place.

If anyone is interested in joining me to watch this please PM me and we can arrange transport.

Also any hints on how I might capture some of this on my camera would be welcome.

Just be out to see what photos, if anything, we could get of the Perseids meteor shower, we did better than expected.

Sadly light pollution was a nightmare, even in the wilds of Lincolnshire... tractors ploughing, police cars with blue lights flashing & the clouds reflecting street light glare from Lincoln, some 20+ miles away.

Our best results seems to have been archieved using ISO 3200 f4 for 20 seconds... longer exposures resulted in too much light pollution or stars had moved so they looked blurred.

Out of the 49 frames I took I managed to get 3 frames which included meteors, though nothing spectacular.

On Saturday night we saw one particularly spectacular meteor, but we didn't have the camera set-up at the time.

The peak of activity is between now and 2AM so still time to get that tripod out.

Will post an image or two later today.

This sounds quite interesting. I might put my camera and tripod out tonight and have a go. Thanks for the tips!

Just be out to see what photos, if anything, we could get of the Perseids meteor shower, we did better than expected.

Sadly light pollution was a nightmare, even in the wilds of Lincolnshire... tractors ploughing, police cars with blue lights flashing & the clouds reflecting street light glare from Lincoln, some 20+ miles away.

Our best results seems to have been archieved using ISO 3200 f4 for 20 seconds... longer exposures resulted in too much light pollution or stars had moved so they looked blurred.

Out of the 49 frames I took I managed to get 3 frames which included meteors, though nothing spectacular.

On Saturday night we saw one particularly spectacular meteor, but we didn't have the camera set-up at the time.

The peak of activity is between now and 2AM so still time to get that tripod out.

Will post an image or two later today.

Any joy with getting anymore pictures?

Looking forward to seeing these. However good the quality.