View Full Version : Packman Lane - Ghost Related

Pages : [1] 2

ladyovmanor
19-01-2005, 20:31
Anyone ever been there I went oh about 9 years ago I was just wondering if it old news or do people still go there.

For those who are like what is she on about here is the story.....
After you have had a day full of rain you go to Pac man lane and you see ghosts....
we went up as I say 9 years ago I was only 16 and went with a load of mate in a car and it was scary was it the age and the tension or is it true ???????????

LBoogie
19-01-2005, 20:49
Pac Man Lane...what a name.

roger
19-01-2005, 21:24
yes ive been there and seen it is actually pacman lane at kiveton

bostonaire
19-01-2005, 21:30
we went on a ghost hunt there a few weeks ago....

ANGELUS
19-01-2005, 22:02
Yep, I have been and seen the highwayman.
I used to live in Kiveton Park until a year ago.

What people dont seem to have heard about Packman Lane is that its not only the highwayman that haunts the dip part of the lane but near the farmhouses further up the lane, there is a spectral woman who runs out into the road in front of your car and into the hedge.

For all you ghosthunters- you NEED to be in a car PERIOD for the ghosts to appear and also its gotta be nightime.

Try it.

bivvy
19-01-2005, 22:22
I have seen it, for those who have not it is similar to the movie "Predator" where the alien blends itself in with the jungle background. Best to see when it is wet doing about 40mph then it shoots straight across the road and into the hedge. Packman Lane at night is quite scary in itself reminds me of the Jeepers Creepers" countryside.

Kristian
20-01-2005, 05:33
Is this for real? :confused:

I've never heard of it, but if it's worth a visit I'll go :thumbsup:

K x

LBoogie
20-01-2005, 05:49
Yeah...ghosts are real :roll:

Kristian
20-01-2005, 06:58
Okay, I'll go tonight, I love stuff like this! :clap:

If any of you decide to watch out for me to make sure I DO see something, I'll be the sh*t scared looking one in the Corsa...

K x

_Ren
20-01-2005, 08:13
yeah i went once didn't see the lady in the road but on the hillside near the farmhouses i saw something that lookedlike fire (not ordinary fire) like rings of fire or something very strange.
has anyone seen anything and got out of the car?

tom_common
20-01-2005, 11:36
not sure about the ghosts yet, I feel some scary stuff sometimes but yet to see one properly.

But where my gran used to live, there was a dip in the road that was haunted as well. It's down in hertfordshire where the narrow roads are hemmed in by hedges on each side. One wet day, late at night, she was travelling along the road, and realised where she was. As she looked up, she saw a ghost move in front of her, across the road.

Now obviously she crapped them. Later that week she drove along the same road with my mother in the car, and the same thing happened. My grandmother being a resilient and practical school teacher, was a little skeptic this time. She backed the car up, and drove forward again; and there was the same ghost.

It was just the reflection from the puddle in the dip, moving across the other side.

I'm suspicious that the same thing is happening here; you have to be in your car, it has to be night, it's often raining.

I might be wrong though. Cue scary twilight zone music.

bivvy
20-01-2005, 11:46
Originally posted by tom_common

It was just the reflection from the puddle in the dip, moving across the other side.

I'm suspicious that the same thing is happening here; you have to be in your car, it has to be night, it's often raining.

Same thing here, it is an optical illusion, but still it is very scary.

ladyovmanor
20-01-2005, 12:21
Originally posted by tom_common
not sure about the ghosts yet, I feel some scary stuff sometimes but yet to see one properly.

But where my gran used to live, there was a dip in the road that was haunted as well. It's down in hertfordshire where the narrow roads are hemmed in by hedges on each side. One wet day, late at night, she was travelling along the road, and realised where she was. As she looked up, she saw a ghost move in front of her, across the road.

Now obviously she crapped them. Later that week she drove along the same road with my mother in the car, and the same thing happened. My grandmother being a resilient and practical school teacher, was a little skeptic this time. She backed the car up, and drove forward again; and there was the same ghost.

my mum saw a ghost when we lived in hemel hartfordshire it was not near hemel hempsted school music part

Ghosthunter
20-01-2005, 15:28
My girlfriend lives just off Pacman Lane........been up it loads of times and not seen anything..........still waiting for a invitation from Angelus!

alchresearch
20-01-2005, 18:45
Originally posted by bivvy
Same thing here, it is an optical illusion, but still it is very scary.

A similar thing happens on the road that starts by the woods and goes up past Loscar Quarry towards Hartill, but they look more like flat discs of light coming at you.

The road's been mended a couple of times though and the effects aren't half as good as they used to be back in 1997-98.

PENGUIN
20-01-2005, 19:35
Where is this ? Multimap has a dew results for Pacman lane in the area.

alchresearch
20-01-2005, 20:19
Originally posted by PENGUIN
Where is this ? Multimap has a dew results for Pacman lane in the area.

Go to www.streetmap.co.uk and do a search for 'Kiveton Park Station'.

Packman Lane runs directly south from there. The haunted section is in the dip just south of Loscar Wood.

Bikertec
20-01-2005, 23:56
You really need to get Ants opinion on Packman Lane he was the expert on it when when YPS was around.:)

Ant
22-01-2005, 18:00
Hardly an expert, but thankyou anyway Mick. (Missed the Hallam Fm interview btw - don't suppose you're posting it on the site or anything?)

If anyone fancies a trip to Packman Lane, there seems enough interest for us to meet and check it out. Call it a Sheffield Forum ghost field trip.

Also, if you do a search for "Packman Lane" on the forum, I've posted a map link highlighting the location.

Bikertec
22-01-2005, 19:34
Originally posted by Ant
Hardly an expert, but thankyou anyway Mick. (Missed the Hallam Fm interview btw - don't suppose you're posting it on the site or anything?)

If anyone fancies a trip to Packman Lane, there seems enough interest for us to meet and check it out. Call it a Sheffield Forum ghost field trip.

Also, if you do a search for "Packman Lane" on the forum, I've posted a map link highlighting the location. to be honest I wouldn't know how to put a 2 hour Audio up and also I think it would be copyright to Hallam FM.:confused:

bobsyouruncle
22-01-2005, 19:46
i wouldnt mind going on the sheffield forum ghost hunt to pacman lane, only trouble is i have no means of transport :(

Ghosthunter
22-01-2005, 19:52
Well I'm up for it......

we could meet at the Station Hotel Pub, so you can get a train straight from sheffield to Kiveton.......and take it from there.

bobsyouruncle
22-01-2005, 19:58
well. im up for it :thumbsup:

ANGELUS
22-01-2005, 20:40
I keep hearing people saying that it is an optical illusion.
Have you ever been down there and seen something?

Nope-

Its a ****ing horse trotting across the road in front of your car- optical illusion my ass- I know a horse when I see one.

And I also have seen it many times.

At night - coming out of the dip - no rain, no fog!
Explain it for me please.

ANGELUS
22-01-2005, 20:41
I wouldnt mind going down to Pacman Lane if anyone is going.
Will have to sort some travel arrangements out to get there though!

bobsyouruncle
22-01-2005, 21:32
i'll come with you angelus, or maybe a group of us can meet in town or somewhere........?

Carborundum
22-01-2005, 21:36
Cant those reckless bloody ghosts not be more careful when trotting or dancing or floating across the road in on-coming traffic - have they not heard of arm bands or warning lights - surely the police can do somehting about it as they are a nuisance to traffic ...

Lestat
22-01-2005, 21:53
Does anyone have a picture/s of pacman lane?

Ant
22-01-2005, 22:07
I keep hearing people saying that it is an optical illusion.
Have you ever been down there and seen something?
Nope-
Its a ****ing horse trotting across the road in front of your car- optical illusion my ass- I know a horse when I see one.
And I also have seen it many times
At night - coming out of the dip - no rain, no fog!
Explain it for me please.

I've never come across anyone seeing anything more substantial than the usual ill-defined mist shape as yet, so I'd be interested in hearing your account Angelus.

Each time I've witnessed it it's been perfectly dry, so the puddle theory doesn't really account for it.

I still think the layered fog bank is the most likely explanation, and I can back it up to a certain extent, but it only explains the usual apparition that's observed there, not the phantom horse etc. I also took an odd photograph at Packman lane in the early days of the Yorkshire Paranormal Society that I still can't explain.

As for transport, I can do a local pick-up only and I'll be in a big unwieldy transit van - not exactly ideal, but it's a set of wheels.

Will you be joining, Biker? It'd be nice to say hello.

Ant
22-01-2005, 22:12
Does anyone have a picture/s of pacman lane?

More than you could shake a stick at. I've just slit the throat of my old site with dozens of photos on there, so i'd have to email them to you if you pm me.

Bikertec
23-01-2005, 12:52
Originally posted by Ant
I've never come across anyone seeing anything more substantial than the usual ill-defined mist shape as yet, so I'd be interested in hearing your account Angelus.

Each time I've witnessed it it's been perfectly dry, so the puddle theory doesn't really account for it.

I still think the layered fog bank is the most likely explanation, and I can back it up to a certain extent, but it only explains the usual apparition that's observed there, not the phantom horse etc. I also took an odd photograph at Packman lane in the early days of the Yorkshire Paranormal Society that I still can't explain.

As for transport, I can do a local pick-up only and I'll be in a big unwieldy transit van - not exactly ideal, but it's a set of wheels.

Will you be joining, Biker? It'd be nice to say hello. Depends on the night but if we have no investigations that night, then yes me and Brenda would love to.:thumbsup:

Ghosthunter
23-01-2005, 17:18
I'm up for it too...........have to arrange a night and meet at the Station Hotel.........its 5 minutes from Packman Lane.

bobsyouruncle
23-01-2005, 17:29
I'm up for it too, just keep me posted plz

Tony
23-01-2005, 21:05
I drove down it earlier today. Just to get it straight, is it the dip as you go towards Kiveton Park from the Thopre Salvin crossroads? :confused:

Lestat
23-01-2005, 21:17
Originally posted by Ant
More than you could shake a stick at. I've just slit the throat of my old site with dozens of photos on there, so i'd have to email them to you if you pm me.

Could you not just post a couple on here?:confused:

ANGELUS
23-01-2005, 21:19
Originally posted by Tony
I drove down it earlier today. Just to get it straight, is it the dip as you go towards Kiveton Park from the Thopre Salvin crossroads? :confused:

Thats the one mate!
But reverse it..

Its from the kiveton park station going towards Thorpe Salvin that you see the ghost.

Bikertec
23-01-2005, 21:26
Originally posted by Lestat
Could you not just post a couple on here?:confused: Question is what format would you use MP3 or is there something smaller I could use because a wav file is quite large.:confused:

marillionuk
24-01-2005, 13:08
So, did anyone decide on which night to go? I'm up for a trip and will take the video-camera too - just in case.

Right then, when are we meeting at the Kiverton Park boozer?

Ghosthunter
24-01-2005, 15:50
I'm good for this saturday.

bobsyouruncle
24-01-2005, 16:46
me too, but will need to meet in town no transport, dont know how to get ther, :sad: unless theres anyone in hillsboro goin......:bigsmile: willing to give me a lift... :wink:

Ghosthunter
24-01-2005, 17:28
If you can get to the railway station there is a train straight to kiveton park, right outside the pub.

bobsyouruncle
24-01-2005, 17:51
kewl, what time do we meet at the kiveton boozer, how long from sheffield midland station to kiveton, if anyone else is planning to go via this method, maybe we could meet up at the train station in sheffield city centre.........

plodder
25-01-2005, 22:06
Originally posted by nitelife40
we went on a ghost hunt there a few weeks ago....
Nite life 40 I really want to get in on ghost hunting is there anyway u can help me start or who to contact to do this...

Ant
26-01-2005, 13:41
Could you not just post a couple on here?

How? Don't you have to link to an external source for linking to images on here? My site is now offline.

Btw, here (http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&x=451213&y=379688&scale=5000&width=500&height=310) is the Multimap link for Packman Lane.

Lindseyw
26-01-2005, 16:46
I live up here..... well nearby, I must have been up & down this road 1000's of times, day, eve, night. Wind, rain, snow & I have NEVER seen anything at all !!

Packman Lane , so am i going from the Harthill end at the x roads or from the level crossing end to see this....??

I am going to go tonight !!

Ant
27-01-2005, 10:32
Either end, though I've seen it heading south on the slight majority of occassions.

Ant
04-02-2005, 11:29
I don't know if any of you went up there last weekend, but here (http://photobucket.com/albums/v631/Antsphotos/Packman%20Lane/) are a few pictures of the location I've managed to get online.

(Click to enlarge).

ClaireLoo
27-02-2005, 10:09
Hi guys

Did you actually go on your ghosthunt and see anything??

This is what happened to me, although its a little different:

About September last year i was driving home with my dad to Harthill down Hard Lane about dusk and was looking over across the fields towards the hills where Packman Lane is...and right on the brow of the hill in that area i saw a horse standing on the hill mounted with what looked like some sort of soldier or warrier. I say this because of the hat that he was wearing. I thought it looked really strange and weird. It was just stood there, not moving at all. I have never seen anything like it since or even thought about it, until last night when i mentioned it to my fiancÚ who told me one of his friends had seen someting similar a few years ago and told me it was haunted by a roman soldier on horseback. This really freaked me out as i have never seen a ghost before or even considered it to be a ghost. So, i did a search this morning and came across this forum about there being a phantom horse or a headless horseman.

Do any of you know about this horse ghost that apparently i saw? I'm really intrigued now!!!!

~Claire

rip_dime
27-04-2005, 18:10
Hi everyone, Iv just been looking on past threads and, packman lane keeps popping up. as anyone seen anything strange around that area because theres conflicting reports on what people actually see. i ain't seen anything but i heard something when walking down it today. that entire road to me doesn't feel right.

Jon
27-04-2005, 18:15
You need to chat with our Packman Lane expert Ant ;) Myself and Roth Ghost of this forum both saw a ball of light in a field on Packman Lane.

rip_dime
27-04-2005, 18:21
cheers mate, il do that, looking on previous post, some people tthink its the weather its dry today so might nip up after nite fall

Jon
27-04-2005, 18:23
:thumbsup: good luck and BTW welcome to the forum

rip_dime
27-04-2005, 18:29
Thanks, i hear your the expert on Packman Lane Jon. where is the location of the ghost as i said before i heard something wierd earlyier in the daytime

Jon
27-04-2005, 18:39
Picture 1 was the field i saw that light in Packman Lane (http://photobucket.com/albums/v631/Antsphotos/Packman%20Lane/) picture 3 is me :P

spiffymonkey
27-04-2005, 20:59
There are ghosts of various colours that chase you around. If you find the magic pill at one end, they will run away from you or you can eat them.

Oh, wait... wrong packman ;)

ANGELUS
27-04-2005, 22:25
Having lived in Kiveton for over 20 years.. I have seen and heard a lot of things around Packman Lane.

The highwayman who haunts the lane has been there for ages now and it has been delighting and scaring the crap out of teenagers and residents alike for years now.

We used to go down in a car convoy just to see the highwayman put in a nightly appearance- it always seems to appear on top of the dip as your car is going up it and your headlights will hit it.

Try it... just keep looking to the left of your windscreen.

Jon
27-04-2005, 22:29
I've seen the mist that goes across Packman lane. Its got to be something to do with how cold it is up there and the moisture in the air.

rip_dime
04-05-2005, 18:27
Ive been up there and no joy not seen a thing. can anyone tell me the exact location, where th highway man is supposed to be?

Ant
04-05-2005, 21:00
Do a search on this forum for "Packman Lane". There's a previous thread that will give you all the information you need. You should be posting on the end of this (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26725&highlight=packman+lane) thread. :thumbsup:

EDIT: (The thread was merged, so this post makes no sense!)

nearenuff
04-05-2005, 21:38
what an absolute load of twaddle,lived in the area all my life,played up there walked up there camped out as kids round that area never seen or heard anything dont know anyone else in the village who has.bet you hear the breathing noises coming out of the cave in the quarry near the station aswell that was a big thing in the early seventies loads of people used to go there at night.
that turned out to be a load of twaddle aswell,or you could even try the site of the raf plane crash in the early 50s which happend in the area where danby road is now im sure you will find something going on there if that fails just go to the saxon and have a pint with happy brian (LANDLORD)

Ant
04-05-2005, 21:51
You are wrong.

I have a sceptical attitude towards most aspects of the paranormal, but have witnessed a light anomaly darting across a certain point in the road on dozens of occassions. It was a resident of the village that actually introduced me to the site. The phenomenon does exist, and can be very impressive at its best, the question is whether it has a paranormal origin, which I personally doubt.

You also lose your bet. I've never been to the cave in the quarry by the station. How much do you owe me? I don't like welchers.

nearenuff
04-05-2005, 22:05
hello ant
go on then prove me wrong take me and show me,will meet you there any night you want will spend as much time as you want there will even show you the cave and where the plane crashed killing the raf crew.
i never said that i did not belive in the paranormal got loads of pictures of orbs ,taken in my home and projects i have developed including a 16th century building that is reported to be haunted,and i church in maltby that i am working on will send you some if you want to take a look.
all i said was pacman lane was a load of twaddle,but as i said prove me wrong

Ant
04-05-2005, 22:21
Ah, well, now. That's the whole trouble with the wonderful world of the paranormal: it doesn't happen on demand - if it did, there'd be a damned site more funding for the few scientific bodies left investigating it.

I've abandoned any real interest in investigating the paranormal, so I'll decline your offer. I've spent too many long nights above empty pubs fiddling with my equipment with very little results to know that it's very probably a futile method of investigation.

I can give you a MultiMap link to the spot, show you a photograph of the precise point, and leave you to it. But twaddle it most certainly is not. As I say, I've pretty much drifted across to the sceptic's camp, but there's something impressive to be seen at the dip in Packman Lane if you catch it on the right night.

And as for orbs, it's just dust and water vapour. Now I can show you how to take lovely orb and mist photographs on demand, that's easy. (Jon from the forum discovered how "Graveyard Mists" are formed. Pm him for the tale).

ANGELUS
04-05-2005, 22:42
Originally posted by ClaireLoo
Hi guys

Did you actually go on your ghosthunt and see anything??

This is what happened to me, although its a little different:

About September last year i was driving home with my dad to Harthill down Hard Lane about dusk and was looking over across the fields towards the hills where Packman Lane is...and right on the brow of the hill in that area i saw a horse standing on the hill mounted with what looked like some sort of soldier or warrier. I say this because of the hat that he was wearing. I thought it looked really strange and weird. It was just stood there, not moving at all. I have never seen anything like it since or even thought about it, until last night when i mentioned it to my fiancÚ who told me one of his friends had seen someting similar a few years ago and told me it was haunted by a roman soldier on horseback. This really freaked me out as i have never seen a ghost before or even considered it to be a ghost. So, i did a search this morning and came across this forum about there being a phantom horse or a headless horseman.

Do any of you know about this horse ghost that apparently i saw? I'm really intrigued now!!!!

~Claire

I have just seen this thread again- thankyou claire for that!
At last someone who can back up my horseman claim.
Thankyou for that.

Anyone else want to go and check it out - go by CAR not on foot. Going by foot does nothing.

ANGELUS
04-05-2005, 22:47
Originally posted by nearenuff
what an absolute load of twaddle,lived in the area all my life,played up there walked up there camped out as kids round that area never seen or heard anything dont know anyone else in the village who has.bet you hear the breathing noises coming out of the cave in the quarry near the station aswell that was a big thing in the early seventies loads of people used to go there at night.
that turned out to be a load of twaddle aswell,or you could even try the site of the raf plane crash in the early 50s which happend in the area where danby road is now im sure you will find something going on there if that fails just go to the saxon and have a pint with happy brian (LANDLORD)

I've lived in the area too mate for 25 years and I can guarantee you anything on earth that if you visit Packman Lane in a CAR in the dark with full beams on- you will see it.
No ****! Its been there for many many years and is well known throughout the community apart from Hartill/Thorpe Salvin folk do not wish for every ghosthunter around the world to come pouring in to their quiet little villages to have a look.

Im interested to hear of this cave though- have not heard anything about the quarry.

Please go and have a look at Packman Lane.. its all the proof you need.

ANGELUS
04-05-2005, 22:51
Originally posted by Ant
Ah, well, now. That's the whole trouble with the wonderful world of the paranormal: it doesn't happen on demand - if it did, there'd be a damned site more funding for the few scientific bodies left investigating it.

Trust me on this- I can confirm TWO spots on Packman Lane where you will see something in a CAR only and they are 1. The Dip and 2. Near the farmhouse on the corner.

No more - no less.

If anyone wants to arrange a forum ghosthunt to the lane, Im in, I'll show you the real spots you want to be at, because I want to clear this disbelieving matter up once and for all for all the people dissing the lane.

Jon
04-05-2005, 22:59
Myself and Ant one very early morning after spending the night in a so called haunted pub in Wentworth decided to investigate the local grave yard up there :suspect: within minutes of investigating we was getting strange mist formations on our digital cameras just like the ones you see in 1000's of American websites, mists of ghosts coming from the graves....it was a very cold and frosty morning no one was about except us...for a few seconds myself and Ant was getting carried away with the thought of finding 100% evidence of paranormal activity only to discover the mists were being formed not by the paranormal but simple by us breathing out into the cold misty morning. Another myth broken.

Ant
04-05-2005, 23:01
The trouble is, Angelus, it doesn't show every time you drive past (not for me, anyway), which means you could be left with egg on your face when you claim that I want to clear this disbelieving matter up once and for all for all the people dissing the lane. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, and it varies in intensity so much so that when it's at it's weakest, it's easily missed. I took a group of investigators out there on quite a few occassions only to find the site frustratingly inactive.

Having said that, the very first time I went to Packman Lane (back in the early 80's), it was very noticeable, and observed every time we did a drive-by (at least a dozen times). This was the dip in the road, by the way. I've never noticed anything unusual on driving past the farm. Having said that, we tended to turn the car around by the tree just before the farm, so it's not like we drove past it at speed very often.

We came close to arranging a party of interested forumers last year, as I remember. I pulled out at the last minute as I lost use of the vehicle I had (which I have still yet to replace). I presume the meet-up never took place.

nearenuff
05-05-2005, 05:26
go on then pick a date and time lets see how many turn up,i will be there

nearenuff
05-05-2005, 05:27
will even pick ant up as he does'nt have transport .

nearenuff
06-05-2005, 03:41
what nobody wants to go,not scared of ghosties are we

rip_dime
08-05-2005, 13:59
well if anyone is up for goin up there Im in. As if someone wants to sort some details and that out and let me no.

Ant
08-05-2005, 14:03
Not for a month or so for me. Tied up for a while.

Jon
21-06-2005, 23:22
Originally posted by nearenuff
hello ant
go on then prove me wrong take me and show me,will meet you there any night you want will spend as much time as you want there will even show you the cave and where the plane crashed killing the raf crew.
i never said that i did not belive in the paranormal got loads of pictures of orbs ,taken in my home and projects i have developed including a 16th century building that is reported to be haunted,and i church in maltby that i am working on will send you some if you want to take a look.
all i said was pacman lane was a load of twaddle,but as i said prove me wrong even show you the cave and where the plane crashed killing the raf crew. First i heard of this ,so where abouts on Packman are we talking, i've been up and down Packman Lane and i've never seen anywhere a cave could be?

msbehavin
03-07-2005, 22:35
Well - we got to the Station pub late at around 9.30pm as we could not find the place too easily. A group of friendly locals told us you had been there and for us to head off and look for a grey Astra - so we did!

We drove up and down Packman Lane until 10.pm when it started getting dark. Myself and youngest daughter were well keen and eager to stay as long as it needed to see something (anything!), but cowardly elder daughter sat in back seat of car buried under a blanket cussing and whingeing till eventually we took pity on her and left there. We have just got back. Unfortunately we saw nothing.

We did park at the brow of the hill near the tree, left cowardly daughter in car and walked along the lane to the tree in the hope that we might feel/see something. We looked over the hedges near the tree, sat on a bank near the tree, and generally enjoyed the peace and solitude. It did appear to get a little colder in air temperature as we neared the dip in the road. but I put that down to it getting late and darker.

The kids were very unnerved by the shrine to the dead boy at the end of the road however. We called back at the pub later and chatted to the same locals we had seen earlier. They told us that a 15 year old boy had been killed at the crossroads at the end of Packman Lane only 2-3 months previous by a car driver. That bit made us shiver, though not for supernatural reasons.

We had a great laugh with the people at the pub and have been invited back to the Harthill/Kiveton Carnival next weekend, lol. At least something good came out of the evening!

Lindseyw
04-07-2005, 08:41
Glad u liked the area !!

Kiveton Carnival has already happened, but Harthill is on Saturday :)

The flowers you saw were actually for a boy who died 6 months ago, in December.

sureflows
04-07-2005, 09:08
anyone know of any other haunted places in sheffield?

MTheo
04-07-2005, 12:47
Originally posted by sureflows
anyone know of any other haunted places in sheffield?

i used to live in dronfield and apparantly the library was meant to be haunted by some lady...

but i dont belive such things :)

tara06
21-06-2006, 22:08
hi ive been to pacman lane ghost huntin. dint realy see ne thin but people have told me they have seen things. sum 1 said something about a man digging duno if ne 1 elce has seen it or heard bout it. if u have let me no xx

ANGELUS
21-06-2006, 22:52
Hi everyone :thumbsup:

I'm glad this thread has been brought back up into the public eye again- there are too many people saying something is at packman lane for it to go away!

There are two ghosts, both of which I've seen-

The first one as you go up the dip is the highwayman, crossing from right to left on horse- you will see the back end of the horse complete with rider and you can make out stirrups, cloak, tricorn but its very quick- so dont blink while you are going up the dip of you will miss it.

It does not work going the other way by the way - it only works going up the dip.

The other ghost- is if you go up the dip, past the highwayman spot- keep going towards the corner near the farmhouse, a figure runs from right to left across the road on the corner of the farmhouse, be careful you dont crash though because it happens right at the last minute.

I think we need to have a packman lane meetup peeps!

And I want to be at this one as I keep thinking people have been going to the wrong spot to see this thing.

What I would like to do- is bring my video camera, and I'd like to film footage going from the start- near the station pub across the lines and going up to pacman lane.. to see if I can catch anything.

sheffmale
22-06-2006, 05:42
as far as ghosts go on pacman lane,i reckon someones taking the mick.remember the ghosts on the game pacman??

NEILS
22-06-2006, 06:30
i have lived in the area all my life and have been down that road many times and never seen nothing,but hey who am i too judge.i think if you are going to have a ghost meet you should meet up in the saxon pub on the crossroads and ask the locals about the ghost in there .he is called jasper and years ago had regular coverage on local radio and press.people used to spend all night in there trying to see him he used to mess around in the pub moving things ect,ect.
if you dont fancy that there is always the cave in the quarry near the station pub in the 70s there were reports of breathing being heard from inside and again this got lots of media coverage even film crews from local tv watching it at night.
then there is the old dennifs office block which is now a housing estate as you drop into the village from todwick on your right.my granny worked there in the canteen which was a very old stone building .they would get to work in the mornings and find all the tin foil tops off the milk on the floor making patterns ect,things used to get moved round at night.
they say that there was a tunnel that ran from there to the saxon and the ghost was the same one that visited both places and he was a monk.
its a very old area and has alot of history incuding a mention in ivanhoe,try looking up keeton hall for some clues

ANGELUS
22-06-2006, 08:11
i have lived in the area all my life and have been down that road many times and never seen nothing,but hey who am i too judge.i think if you are going to have a ghost meet you should meet up in the saxon pub on the crossroads and ask the locals about the ghost in there .he is called jasper and years ago had regular coverage on local radio and press.people used to spend all night in there trying to see him he used to mess around in the pub moving things ect,ect.
if you dont fancy that there is always the cave in the quarry near the station pub in the 70s there were reports of breathing being heard from inside and again this got lots of media coverage even film crews from local tv watching it at night.
then there is the old dennifs office block which is now a housing estate as you drop into the village from todwick on your right.my granny worked there in the canteen which was a very old stone building .they would get to work in the mornings and find all the tin foil tops off the milk on the floor making patterns ect,things used to get moved round at night.
they say that there was a tunnel that ran from there to the saxon and the ghost was the same one that visited both places and he was a monk.
its a very old area and has alot of history incuding a mention in ivanhoe,try looking up keeton hall for some clues

If you supposedly have lived in the area for all your life- you should have heard of the goings on at Packman Lane then.. or rather you live near the road and are one of the people trying to hush it up- as I've heard people round the thorpe salvin area dont want the necessary intrusions into looking into the road.

The Saxon Pub- I found this comment quite funny.

You wont have anything to do with packman lane and the multitude of people backing the sightings up, yet you will accept jasper the old monk who hides in the basement and whistles.

Newsflash for you- it was made up by the pub owners, my nanna used to work in the saxon- she went down into the basement many a time, heard and felt nothing.

Cave in the quarry- another no go I'm affraid!

The dennifs office block- another laughable one, as I used to work for the company that was there before the housing building.. it was called Active.
We never heard anything of the sort, so this debunks this theory I find :thumbsup:

Anyway- back to the proper sightings, Packman Lane.
I think it needs the skeptics among us to tag along if another meetup comes along!

sally7706
22-06-2006, 08:50
isnt there another plc like that in norton called lovers lane or somethin like that?

NEKRO138
22-06-2006, 09:02
It is an optical illusion. If you reverse, it goes back the other way. But it is excellent and I recommend you do it! Like others have said, it needs to be wet and dark, and you need to be in a car, goin quick.

ANGELUS
22-06-2006, 09:04
It is an optical illusion. If you reverse, it goes back the other way.

Packman Lane does not- been there, done it, tried it!
It only works when you go down the dip and start climbing it again.

Also- its the same for the farmhouse at the end.. its as if the spirit runs out from the farmhouse into the road in front of the car- it does not seem to trigger it from the other end going back down the lane.

alchresearch
22-06-2006, 12:18
Packman Lane does not- been there, done it, tried it!
It only works when you go down the dip and start climbing it again.

Also- its the same for the farmhouse at the end.. its as if the spirit runs out from the farmhouse into the road in front of the car- it does not seem to trigger it from the other end going back down the lane.

It all depends on your car and where it's headlights are situated on it. The last time I went down I had a Metro and the 'ghost' was quite poor, but my mate's Uno's headlights gave a fantastic effect.

ianbrownfan
22-06-2006, 12:21
Anyone ever been there I went oh about 9 years ago I was just wondering if it old news or do people still go there.

For those who are like what is she on about here is the story.....
After you have had a day full of rain you go to Pac man lane and you see ghosts....
we went up as I say 9 years ago I was only 16 and went with a load of mate in a car and it was scary was it the age and the tension or is it true ???????????

im from Kiveton...and have seen the "ghost" on pacman lane. Although it does look good, it is simply the car headlights onthe road and mist there. The road goes down then up quite sharpish and so has this affect. We proved it by doing it a few times. Still...it does look quite good. Just looks like a figure running across the road in front of the car

NEILS
22-06-2006, 15:18
in reply to your reply
i have lived down near the saxon all my life and have heard about pacman lane but i have never seen anything,as for the gohst at denniffs i worked there for 5 years did my apprentaship as a fitter in the workshop so do know the stories about the monk

Tipex
27-07-2006, 22:26
I heard a few of u talk about it but just the other day a m8 told me he saw a child on a bike going across the cross rds, is this true if anyone has seen it?

I've never been but im taking a trip just because im curious.

themagicwand
27-07-2006, 22:28
Is this a ghosty type thing? :o

angle20
27-07-2006, 22:31
Yes, there's reputedly a Roman soldier as well. More:

here (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26725&highlight=packman)

littlebasher
27-07-2006, 22:37
Is this a ghosty type thing? :o

Packman lane, ghosts.....

The child wasnt yellow and round was he?...Was he trying to eat the ghosts?

themagicwand
27-07-2006, 22:47
Packman lane, ghosts.....

The child wasnt yellow and round was he?...Was he trying to eat the ghosts?
Don't mock the spirits of the dearly departed lest they return to wreak a terrible revenge upon you! :D

I remember as a kid watching "Carry On Screaming" with my mum & dad. They were laughing away at it all, but I was terrified in case any ghosts or bogey men were listening in and got offended. I didn't realise that "Carry On Screaming" was a comedy. I thought it was more like a documentary and my parents were being terribly insensitive.

"Carry On Screaming" is now probably my favourite film of all time along with "Abbott & Costello Meet the Werewolf" (or is it ...Meet the Monster? I can never remember).

ANGELUS
28-07-2006, 00:18
Used to live in kiveton park mate so we know all about that place very well.

Looks like there has been another addition to the spirits that are found there already then, there is already the highwayman, the spirit who runs out into the road in front of the farmhouse, and if I heard correctly on the grapevine- someone was killed on that very road a while back (RIP) so it would not surprise me at all considering that place.

Well worth a trip down there

Tipex
28-07-2006, 02:21
Used to live in kiveton park mate so we know all about that place very well.

Looks like there has been another addition to the spirits that are found there already then, there is already the highwayman, the spirit who runs out into the road in front of the farmhouse, and if I heard correctly on the grapevine- someone was killed on that very road a while back (RIP) so it would not surprise me at all considering that place.

Well worth a trip down there

I shall watch but not judge everything as a ghost, if i see somet and report it here, then you'll know 4 real there is something because im not a great believer.

NEKRO138
28-07-2006, 08:03
Yeah, it's a highwayman, I spend a lot of time in kivvo.

Tipex
28-07-2006, 11:44
Yeah, it's a highwayman, I spend a lot of time in kivvo.

Anyone care to share its history with me or know where i can look it up?

ANGELUS
28-07-2006, 11:55
Anyone care to share its history with me or know where i can look it up?

Its in quite a few books mate- the most specific one I can think of is the Pit Ghosts & Padfeet series from WH Smiths (the black books) but I will dig up the sites on the internet for you to have a look through.

It does exist though mate- I've also seen it myself!

EDIT: Just found some links for thee..
http://www.rotherham-ghosts.com/sheffieldsightings.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/sense_of_place/ghost_stories/index.shtml
http://crystallinevault.tripod.com/id12.html

ANGELUS
28-07-2006, 12:09
Yes, there's reputedly a Roman soldier as well. More:

here (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26725&highlight=packman)

Its a roman legion that walks down the old roman road mate :thumbsup:
Not seen that yet though but it has been reported a few times :hihi:

Rich
28-07-2006, 12:23
Probably by people coming out of the Kiveton pubs at chuck out time.

Kristian
28-07-2006, 13:32
Mod Note: Threads Merged. Please remember to search before posting a new thread.

Ta. :)

Tipex
01-08-2006, 02:43
I went to packman lane tonight, got to the cross rd's and saw flowers laid out.

What was the cause of the death and was i in the right position to see these so called ghost?

alchresearch
01-08-2006, 11:40

What was the cause of the death and was i in the right position to see these so called ghost?

No, you need to carry on past the crossroads (coming away from Kiveton). Go up the hill past the wood on your left, it then levels out and then drops into a dip, that's where the 'ghost' is.

Tipex
02-08-2006, 02:09
No, you need to carry on past the crossroads (coming away from Kiveton). Go up the hill past the wood on your left, it then levels out and then drops into a dip, that's where the 'ghost' is.

This was a reflection from the meadows that is worked out at a certain angle.
The local farmer told me that hes never seen a thing either.

bladesufc1
02-08-2006, 11:35
wouldn't bother!!

the road goes down in o a dip on a wet evening the reflection of your lights makes it look like there's a ghost, but only sometimes does this happen

Okay, I'll go tonight, I love stuff like this! :clap:

If any of you decide to watch out for me to make sure I DO see something, I'll be the sh*t scared looking one in the Corsa...

K x

deputy
02-08-2006, 16:06
Newsflash for you- it was made up by the pub owners, my nanna used to work in the saxon- she went down into the basement many a time, heard and felt nothing.

What, so if your nan hasn't seen it then it cant possibly be true?

andrews701
02-08-2006, 18:07
Have not been there myself but ihave read some where that Most haunted are filming there in a few weeks

LittleMissMe
04-08-2006, 13:35
me n my bf went last night but didnt see anything, wasnt sure how far to go though we went as far as the golf club then turned back. We also went to stocksbridge bypass but wasnt quite sure where to look there either lol

AmDaMan
03-09-2006, 19:56
does anyone wanna go up to see if it's there?

Lindseyw
18-12-2006, 20:46
OK guys & Gals it is time this was revived.

Who is up for the ghost trip down Packman lane ????

snooze
18-12-2006, 21:41
me me me, i love a good ghost story/hunt.

Ghosthunter
19-12-2006, 13:04
Yep I'm up for it.....been down that road loads of times and not seen a thing!

But with my love of the paranormal, I would love to be proved wrong.

Lindseyw
02-01-2007, 15:30
Come on then - who's up for it ???

bobsyouruncle
02-01-2007, 20:44
Now that I have a car, I would love to go up there.

andrews701
05-01-2007, 16:03
old one this topic had it at least 6 months ago and its just a reflection from the headlights in the rain:huh:

Lestat
05-01-2007, 20:29
Did the ghost-hunting SF squad actually go in the end.... I remember there were several wash-outs. :hihi:

dlee
05-01-2007, 20:42
yep we would be up for it we have been a few times

dlee
02-08-2007, 19:19
We have been up packman lane so many times now and have NEVER seen the highwayman or the other spook near the farm house. ( very disappointed)

BUT....

Over the last few nights we have been up still saw nothing untill at the point where you go past the crossroads carry down the lane till you get to a right turn, entrance to woods opposite.

We were coming back from the farmhouse end towards the junction. At the point specified which i used as a turning point on the corner of the field to the left as we turned stood a black shaped figure.My partner saw it i didn't. At first i didn't believe her but she reminded me of an incident a couple of weeks back when we went and took the same turn, one of the kids shouted "Someone is stood there" this is in the same place.

Just wondered if anyone elkse had had a similar experience at this particular spot?

Be visiting again tonight!

BeetBay
02-08-2007, 19:50

Hi I live in a village very close by to packman lane... the flowers that you saw are completely seperate it is a really sad story a young lad (16) who by all accounts was a very nice popular lad got knocked off his moped by a car full of joyriders and the sick ba**ards drove off and left him to die, this happened a couple of years ago just before christmas. on the bright side at least some of those responsible did get lockedf up.

As for the ghosts... I am very open minded but the lady in the road is not the real thing... it only happens when it is going dark and your lights are on its your lights bouncing back from the dip altho its quite scary first time it happens. It happens a bit after the cross roads as its all fields you cant really give any things to look out for its just a dip in the road.
Never heard of the highwayman but heard of one around the area so not that surprised. there is also supposed to be a group of romans marching down packman lane at some point of the year.

ash1
02-08-2007, 22:07
Packman Lane is on rotherhamghosts.com as a haunted location I drive down there often (well actually i'm a passenger) what most people see is a reflection from their headlights in a dip in the road but one night me and a friend were driving on Packman Lane and something big, about 6 foot tall, ran across the road in front of us we don't know what it was but it wasn't a person and that's the truth

Ant
02-08-2007, 22:59
Packman Lane is on rotherhamghosts.com as a haunted location I drive down there often (well actually i'm a passenger) what most people see is a reflection from their headlights in a dip in the road but one night me and a friend were driving on Packman Lane and something big, about 6 foot tall, ran across the road in front of us we don't know what it was but it wasn't a person and that's the truth

Packman Lane is listed on many sites as a haunted location, including many American ones. It doesn't, of course, mean that it's actually haunted.

I've experienced a similar phenomenon myself on Packman Lane. My "apparition" wasn't a person either, but neither was it paranormal. It's a commonly observed phenomenon when the conditions are right, taking the form of either a light formless shape, or a dark shadow streaking across the road. The cause of it is pretty much accepted now as being due to the result of headlights illuminating low-lying mist at varying elevations in the dip.

I'm pretty sure that what you observed is no different from the usual sightings, but you have perhaps misinterpereted what you observed, giving the sighting false subjective meaning by ascribing to the effect loaded humanoid descriptives: "about six foot tall" and "ran across the road".

I'm sure you'll fall back on the standard "I know what I saw" defence, but applying Occam's Razor, I'm happy to label your sighting as a misinterpreted shadow.

Tipex
02-08-2007, 23:07
Yeah been and got boring after awhile. The owner of the cottages who lives near by said its aload of b*****ks.

Bunts
03-08-2007, 13:44
We used to go to Packman Lane back in the mid 90's thinking we were seeing ghosts, but as people on here have verified - it's a trick of the headlights in wet conditions, when it's dry you don't see a thing.
The spooky thing though was that to prove a point of the place not being haunted, i got out of the car in the dip on Packman Lane and started taking the mick a bit in the middle of the road.
No word of a lie, as i was dancing about a strong gust or something whistled past me (on a still night) from asbolutely nowhere - to this day i have no idea what it was but it was far too strong for it to be a bird, about as strong as a car flying past you at 50 mph. I completely **** myself and got back in the car quicker than you can say Scooby Doo !!; maybe there is something and it didn't take too kindly to my mocking of it???

loopylulu
03-08-2007, 14:34
Yep, I have been and seen the highwayman.
I used to live in Kiveton Park until a year ago.

What people dont seem to have heard about Packman Lane is that its not only the highwayman that haunts the dip part of the lane but near the farmhouses further up the lane, there is a spectral woman who runs out into the road in front of your car and into the hedge.

For all you ghosthunters- you NEED to be in a car PERIOD for the ghosts to appear and also its gotta be nightime.

Try it.

Yeah ive seen this woman, but also it looked as if she had some kind of small child with her as well. I havent been for years - will have to go again soon I think.

loopylulu
03-08-2007, 14:37
We used to go to Packman Lane back in the mid 90's thinking we were seeing ghosts, but as people on here have verified - it's a trick of the headlights in wet conditions, when it's dry you don't see a thing.
The spooky thing though was that to prove a point of the place not being haunted, i got out of the car in the dip on Packman Lane and started taking the mick a bit in the middle of the road.
No word of a lie, as i was dancing about a strong gust or something whistled past me (on a still night) from asbolutely nowhere - to this day i have no idea what it was but it was far too strong for it to be a bird, about as strong as a car flying past you at 50 mph. I completely **** myself and got back in the car quicker than you can say Scooby Doo !!; maybe there is something and it didn't take too kindly to my mocking of it???

Yeah this is true, it is only seen in wet conditions. We once went up and covered the puddle on the left hand side (depending which way you are facing) with a bin bag, we then continued to drive up and down the dip and did not see anything. When my mate got out to move the bin bag it got wrapped round his hand really quickly - it really freaked him out!!

Also, when you see the figure on the dip, slow down and the figure slows down, reverse and the figure goes backwards!!

Ant
03-08-2007, 20:40
No word of a lie, as i was dancing about a strong gust or something whistled past me (on a still night) from asbolutely nowhere - to this day i have no idea what it was...

It sounds to me like a strong gust of wind.

ash1
03-08-2007, 20:41
Packman Lane is listed on many sites as a haunted location, including many American ones. It doesn't, of course, mean that it's actually haunted.

I've experienced a similar phenomenon myself on Packman Lane. My "apparition" wasn't a person either, but neither was it paranormal. It's a commonly observed phenomenon when the conditions are right, taking the form of either a light formless shape, or a dark shadow streaking across the road. The cause of it is pretty much accepted now as being due to the result of headlights illuminating low-lying mist at varying elevations in the dip.

I'm pretty sure that what you observed is no different from the usual sightings, but you have perhaps misinterpereted what you observed, giving the sighting false subjective meaning by ascribing to the effect loaded humanoid descriptives: "about six foot tall" and "ran across the road".

I'm sure you'll fall back on the standard "I know what I saw" defence, but applying Occam's Razor, I'm happy to label your sighting as a misinterpreted shadow.
i've driven up there hundreds of times and i've seen the mist on the road and the shadows caused by headlights and this was different but when people drive up and have heard the stories they're looking for something and imaganation could play with their heads or maybe we are seeing something there who knows?

RiffRaff
03-08-2007, 20:50
Oh, not the Packman Lane thing again!
My sister has lived in Thorpe Salvin for nearly 40 years, and takes the Packman Lane route at least 10 times a week.
I've travelled the same lane for close on 30 years, first on a pushbike when a teenager, then by car when old enough to drive.
Neither of us has ever seen a thing.
Next time you're in the area, stop anyone you see in Thorpe, Kivo or Anston and ask 'em about the Lane - most won't have even heard the story, the rest will confirm that it's total crap.

RiffRaff
03-08-2007, 21:47

The display is always there.
It's absolutely nothing to do with a road fatality.

ash1
03-08-2007, 21:48
when people talk about seeing things in the dip its just the light reflecting from the headlights thats what i've seen anyway but the thing i think i saw (ant is making me a sceptic) was before the dip

loopylulu
03-08-2007, 21:50
when people talk about seeing things in the dip its just the light reflecting from the headlights thats what i've seen anyway but the thing i think i saw (ant is making me a sceptic) was before the dip

You can start to see the shadow just as you go down the dip - I have never seen anything before the dip. What was it you saw again?

ash1
03-08-2007, 21:53
The flowers and the solar lights at the side of the road are there because a young boy was run over and killed by joy riders, it made front page headlines

loopylulu
03-08-2007, 21:54
The flowers and the solar lights at the side of the road are there because a young boy was run over and killed by joy riders, it made front page headlines

Thats so sad, poor lad. How long ago did that happen?

ash1
03-08-2007, 22:00
somthing dark and tall couldnt see it that well it was dark but it s**t me and my mate up (and we thought we were manly)

ash1
03-08-2007, 22:05
it wasn't that long ago 2 years at the most

Lindseyw
03-08-2007, 22:07

I suspect the friends & relatives of the boy killed there would dissagree, as do I. He was an exceptional boy & it what happened that night was a real tragedy.

3 years in December.

Lindseyw
03-08-2007, 22:33
Merged as requested.

Lindseyw
03-08-2007, 23:38
So back to the original question........ what about a trip up there ? I live fairly close by so would be well up for it !

dlee
04-08-2007, 04:37
count us in :D

alchresearch
04-08-2007, 21:27
I've travelled the same lane for close on 30 years, first on a pushbike when a teenager, then by car when old enough to drive.
Neither of us has ever seen a thing.

It depends very much on your car. I remember back in the early 90's and it wouldn't appear in my Metro but was as clear as anything in my mate's Fiat Uno.

lady_l
04-08-2007, 22:17
I used to keep horses up there and that was a daily part of the ride...we never saw anything but the horses always let us know they really wern't happy about being there!!a favorite spot for rearin n usually resulting in me getting thrown!!
it wasn't until a few years later i read about these stories....so we actually went back up in a car....we never saw anything then either but think that due to us being that scared we had our eye's closed!!! haha

I would love to come on a ghost hunt if there is one happening ;o)

The Manager
05-08-2007, 15:11
pacman lane oh that rings a bell!! one nite stand i had there once , now was she real or was she a ghost !!! it could have been miss pacman!!! lol:hihi::hihi:

Carborundum
05-08-2007, 16:03
It depends very much on your car. I remember back in the early 90's and it wouldn't appear in my Metro but was as clear as anything in my mate's Fiat Uno.

So are ghosts very fussy then about the car they will appear in?

natonstan
05-08-2007, 17:34
It only occurs in certain cars, because the headlights have to be in a certain possition apparently.

alchresearch
05-08-2007, 20:15
So are ghosts very fussy then about the car they will appear in?

No, the point is there are no ghosts.

Try going on the road from Loscar Wood to Harthill after rain and you'll see the same kind of phenomenon but it looks like white discs are flying at you.

Lindseyw
06-08-2007, 09:19
OK So a date needs to be set for a meeting of Ghost Hunting.
I'd suggest a midweek would probably be better.
Say a Thursday night ?

natonstan
06-08-2007, 13:38
How about this Thursday, 8:00pm at the Station Hotel Pub?

Anyone up for it?

Lindseyw
06-08-2007, 13:52
Dont you think 8 is a little early ? Wont be dark until sometime after ?

natonstan
06-08-2007, 13:57
Ah good point, what about 11:30?