About Johnny Tempest . . . .

Johnny and I used to work for the same printing company as apprentices (ok, I know . . . it was a long time ago). We both took-up playing guitar at the same time and for a while we "knocked-around" together. I used to play in his first band for a while too, we rehearsed in the "scout hut" on the Frecheville (and at work) and played a few gigs at youth clubs - and anywhere else we could get bookings

I moved away from the area (also a long time ago) and lost touch with most of my old pals from that era (did I mention I'm "careless!"). In recent years I'd often wondered what happened to Johnny, then someone told me he'd passed-away, but couldn't tell me how, where, why, etc. I'd be grateful if someone out there could tell me more

The last time I spoke to Johnny he told me he'd married a dancer and was very happy . . . . Where did all the years go!

Tony

sadly johny commited suicide,i loved going to see him and the cadillacs at the dial house club, they changed there name to the knives and forks, and made a record called being with you.

i was one of the few people to buy it and i still have it.

one of the group called malc townroe was playing with a group called past masters. who are also very good, also johny is mentioned quite a bit in peter stringfellows autobiograghy.

Thank for this roughy101. I had no idea he'd commited suicide. That's really sad isn't it. Do you know approximately when he died?

I knew Johnny from well-before the start of his stage career - and long-before he came-up with the name of his first group: "Johnny Tempest and The Mariners"

I liked John and we had some good times together on- and off-stage, as well as at work too! In fact we played at our own "Works do" before he adopted his stage name. He was John Greaves then

Tony

i cant remember exactly when he died, but he made the record in 1964 so i think it might have been late sixties early seventies. they made the record when they were called the texans. they changed there name a couple of times but i cant remember if they were the knives and forks before or after the texans.you are welcome to the record if you would like it.but if you are around sheffield anytime pick up a clubland paper called the mercury, look where past masters are playing and they would probably be able to tell you where the rest of them are.they are all members of ex big clubland bands.

tony goon google,put in johnny tempest adillacs and there is a guy called chris stainton written about johny and the cadillacs

I'd certainly love to have the record you mention - just so long as you feel you can part with it . . . . if not then maybe a hearing could be arranged? I live in the North East now but will be in Sheffield for a friend's daughter's wedding next month. I'll send you a PM just as soon as this forum allows to firm-up some arrangements (I need more posts before I can send PM's!) - and thanks a lot for this

I still have some friends and relatives in the area so maybe I can prevail upon them to send me a copy of the Mercury, and I'll follow the Google search idea too

Again: Many Thanks,

Tony

I just did the Google search you advised and found the webpage you mentioned - very interesting!

I can't help thinking that the group changed names to "The Cutlers" and that they had a dancing "knife and fork" logo - rather than the name itself being "The Knives and Forks"

In fact in my mind's eye I can "almost see" John painting the poster now (he used to paint them at work) . . . . but then again, my memory is notoriously bad and I could very easily have remembered incorrectly

Tony

Originally posted by roughy101

tony goon google,put in johnny tempest adillacs and there is a guy called chris stainton written about johny and the cadillacs

Chris Stainton..Bass player with Joe Cocker for many years..He did "Woodstock" with Joe.

hi there,

I know its a long while since you wrote this message, but I am the daughter of one of the first cadillacs, who played with Johnny. My dad's name is Brian Bruce and he was an amazing guitarist. He was in the Knives and Forks and the Texans too we have all the old newspaper cuttings. Sadly my dad died only 61 in April of cancer, after having it for a year. I was looking up things about Johnny and the cadillacs to reminisce.... By the way, the word was that it wasnt suicide for Johnny but that he had had a row with his wife and went to sleep in the car, leaving the engine on... very sad. My dad was heartbroken when he died. He was a great bloke and I saw them play together when i was young. We had a copy of the record, but sadly my brother broke it when he was young, do you know where I can get another copy?

The Last time I met and talked to Johnny was some years ago after he had left his backing groups and he had become a "solo artiste" on the clubs..I was in a trio at the time called the "Don Moor Trio" and we shared the bill one night at "Shiregreen club"....I remember him as a very jolly type of lad and we had a great night...I remember he actualy wore a pink fairy dress that night with a pair of large military boots..and he sung a great version of "These Boots were Made for Walking"...Great Stuff.

Hi there,

My dad Brian Bruce was in the cadillacs and also in The Knives and Forks and The Texans. We had the record but my brother broke it when he was younger. Sadly my dad died in April this year, only 61 of cancer. He was heartbroken when Johnny died, he was a great bloke. The rumour was that he had had a row with his wife and went to sleep in the car and fell asleep with the engine running in the garage.. very sad... Anyway, The record Being with you- any ideas where i can get another copy?

cheers

Chris Stainton's dad, Tommy Eyre worked with me at Fence Workshops in the 60's and 70's while he was still with JC. Fence also had Malc Hooley, (Johnny Calendar Band and Frank White). Malc was the first person I was set to work with in 1966 when I started there. It also had Terry Adair, (Alan B. Curtis and the Tumblers, then Jade) and Graham Davies (Jade) followed by Neil Ward (Mystic and then Jade). Incidentally, after being attacked and having his arm damaged, Graham who played Bass was unable to work, and the talented Frank White stood in for him at no notice, even though he hadn't played bass before. He also harmonised and sang the odd song in the set for a couple of weeks. I saw him at Brinsworth and it was though he had been there all his life. Amazing