What happens when I reach pension age?

Anyone know what happens when I get to pension age? I am 53 at present and in receipt of benefits including mobility component. I did work a few years on and off in my youth but have been on incapacity benefit without a break for about 25 years. My husband is in permanent employment though not completely fulltime for the last 6 years (though we've been told we can top that up) but he is also 11 years younger than me.

If you mean that you currently get Disability Living Allowance this will continue past retirement age.

Your incapacity benifit will stop and you will recive a state pension which is currently roughly £60 a week.

The rest depends on the number of hours that your husband works and the amount he earns as well as the amount of savings you have and any old work pensions that will kick in at retirement.

You will neeed to apply for Pension Credit, Pension savings credit and working tax credit (for your husband).

i don't know if you rent your home or not but you may also be entitled to some housing and council tax benifit.

When you've been told that you can "top that up" in regards your husbands wage you probibly mean applying for working tax credit now. That would be a good thing to do.

If you are a parent you also need to apply for child tax credit.This also is paid still after pension age if children are young enough.

When I say top up. My husband has been working for 18 years but his occupational pension has him down as 14 years because some of it was part time as he cut his days to help me when the children were young. We're hoping to get him back into the full 5 days but it has proved difficult as he is a senior teacher and therefore expensive to employ. However his school hopes when their funding has gone up to employ him fulltime. Meanwhile he is doing 3-4 days a week. So I gather to get him to full pension on retirement we will have to top it up. My youngest child will probably be going to University by the time I am 60 so not really covered by family tax credits by then.

Have you asked for a pension forecast? It might help you know what pension you will be entitled to when you reach retirement age. I got a booklet a while ago from somewhere and it gave a number to ring for a pension forecast, but you can do it online.

Your mobility component of DLA will only continue for as long as the award exists. If it's a life award, then don't worry, that will continue for life.

If it's a fixed term award, (such as takes it past 65 years old), it would become a reclaim for Attendance Allowance at the time the award ends.

At that point, the mobility component wouldn't be applicable though.

Thanks I'll check what it says on my mobility award. Who do I get the booklet from on pensions?

The number for the pension forecast is 0845 3000 168.

Thanks happyhippy I'll follow that up.