How do I get over my missing cat?

Hi, im finding it really hard at times to get over my cat Angel, who went missing last october, i think about him all the time and wonder if he is still alive somewhere after getting lost maybe or if he is dead, i find myself bursting into tears when i think about him, my bf got me another cat for valentines day, it wasnt to replace Angel but i think more to take my mind off not knowing what happened to him. I love smudge to pieces, he is a wonderful cat, i adore him, but i just cant get over Angel. Any thoughts would be appreciated please.

Have a hug from me for starters!

I'm really sorry about your cat going missing. I guess you might not know where he is but you never know he may be alive and well. One of our cats came to us, we think as she's so friendly (and has tried with the postman etc) she got into a van or something and when they stopped in the village she got out. We rang CPL, RPSCA etc to see if anyone claimed her and no one did....but she could have come from anywhere. I think about her previous owners and wish that they could see that she's happy her and is health and is loved lots. It probably isn't of much comfort to think he is with someone else but better than other things. If you want a chat PM me. love g x

Time is a great healer lubylou :( but it takes too long.

I can't offer any advice, as a child my rabbit escaped and I never saw her again - it was heartbreaking, I cried for so long but I was a child and children bounce back easier (especially as I believed my dad when he said she'd gone to live with the bunnies in the park).

I still think about her now, how wonderful she was and how much I missed her, but I can look back and smile.

It will always hurt, especially as you don't know what happened to him but I hope it's not too long before you're able to think back to memories of him and smile.

Hi I know exactly how you are feeling at this moment - my cat Bandit has been missing a fortnight nearly, obviously not as long as your beloved cat but I am heartbroke. Keep thinking things like u r. Have posted out leaflets round all the streets and rang sheffield cat shelter and cleansing department. He is micro chipped and did have a collar on with our name and address on it but seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth!

Not been picked up by cleansing dept so know he hasnt been run over. I have kept thinking bad things but after speaking with a nice chap at the cat shelter try to block those thoughts out and just think what he said about that 9 out of10 cats have lost their bearings and then found someone else to feed them and give them a hug. I just try to think that he has found some old lady who treats him like a prince and he would rather stay with her than come home to three kids who always want to hug and love him and play with him constantly. They make me want to run away from home sometimes! Try thinking about nice things he may be doing. Love Sue x

Oh its so sad when you don't have definate answers.

I just want to put a positive into it all and say don't give up hope, my mums friends cat disappeared for almost a year and they assumed the worst, one day the daughter was out with her friends when Taz came strolling over, he was very skinny and tatty but made up to go home with his owner.

I hope Angel is being well looked after and comes home soon.

i think thats the problem i had my cat put to sleep last year ant although i will never forget her i found it easier to cope because i knew what happened, its hard not knowing and very hard to move on without knowiing for definate, keep an open mind if at all possible cats are inteligent animals if angel is out there he will either be having the most wonderful adventure, or is looking over you! i hope you find the answers your looking for xx

Losing a pet is awful, but not knowing what has happened makes it worse. A number of years ago we had our lovely Alsatian dog stolen from our garden. She was playing in the front garden one minute, and the next she was bungled into a car and driven off. A neighbour saw it all happen and it was very upsetting. We tried so hard to get her back, but never heard a thing. We just had to hope that whoever took her really wanted her and looked after her well. At least we didn't have to worry whether she had been in an accident or wandered off. In time I am sure you will feel better, but losing a pet in that way is very upsetting.

One of my cats went missing years ago, she was microchipped, no sight or sound of her for four years, then one day out of the blue I had a phone call from the vets saying she had been handed in injured. Had a poorly toe, otherwise absolutely perfect condition. She went missing three days after I started letting her out after I had moved home. I think someone thought she was a stray?? as they had never seen her before and as she was a very friendly, pretty girl they took her in. Was a huge surprise, it just goes to show it is well worth chipping your animals and also try not to give up hope. Your cat may be being kept indoors by someone in your area.

Aw that's a lovely story freebie...

Our cat went missing for months, however we did see her from time to time (we'd got another cat and she took offence). We wouldn't see her for weeks and then she'd pop back after so much time - turned out a girl down the road had been keeping her in (despite her wearing a collar :rolleyes: )

big hugs, know how you feel.

We had our cat go missing and it was awful not knowing what happened to her, i cried for days. Unfortunately for me, i was in 2 weeks later when a man knocked on my door and he'd found her dead and had got my address off her collar, i was distraught, had to get my dad to leave work and come up with a box, turned out she was only a few metres up the road, down a genal that i'd checked every day.

That was just as bad as then i kept wondering if she was trying to get home to me etc...

Still think about her, did get another cat as it wasn't the same without 2 but won't forget her.

R.I.P marble.x.

Thanks for all the replies guys, i do like to think he has been taken in by someone else and is been well looked after, like some of you have said though, its the not knowing. But i have my smudge to cuddle up too now, he does help a lot, as he is lovely and snuggly.

Well, with my beloved puddy-cats that left me nearly 15 years ago :sad:, I put all their things in a box and wrote a letter about them, what I loved about them and what I missed. I told them goodbye in the letter and sealed it up. I still think about them today. Writing everything I felt really helped and sealing it all up gave some closure.