Camera - Special Needs

I know there is a thread similar but I wanted to start a new one as I have particular requirements.

Budget - Up to £150

I need a REALLY good Zoom.

I need a REALLY good Click - by this I mean somethng tht when I press the button, it takes the picture - not 5 seconds after :rolleyes:

I need a good size screen for viewing - 2.5 ish.

Want a good video capability.

I have been looking at the Fuji A800 but would really appreciate some expert advice.

Thanks Guys

I don't know much about compacts I'm afraid. But I would point you at dpreview.com - loads of camera info/reviews etc. there.

On a general point, AFAIK all compacts suffer a slight lag between button press and the camera 'going-off'.

I don't know much about compacts I'm afraid. But I would point you at dpreview.com - loads of camera info/reviews etc. there.

On a general point, AFAIK all compacts suffer a slight lag between button press and the camera 'going-off'.

Compacts ??? Wassat ? What do I buy instead then ?

For the best "click" as you describe it (least shutter lag as you might see it referred to in reviews) you'd be looking at an SLR type thing. Although some of the higher-end compacts may have a short lag as a selling point.

Compacts ??? Wassat ? What do I buy instead then ?

Compact vs SLR (changable lenses).

I assumed you wanted a compact (1 lens built in, possibly zoomable).

SLRs tend to cost a little more than the budget you mentioned (or try ebay?) but they don't have (noticable) shutter lag. SLRs wont do video.

For the best "click" as you describe it (least shutter lag as you might see it referred to in reviews) you'd be looking at an SLR type thing. Although some of the higher-end compacts may have a short lag as a selling point.

Are they still digital or film ?

Are they still digital or film ?

You can get either.

I expect you are not looking for one though.

There are other cameras often called "bridge cameras" or "prosumer cameras" depending on where you look that fit in the market half-way between an SLR and your average compact that may offer the performance you want whilst still allowing video and not requiring you to fuss with lenses.

I expect you are not looking for one though.

What does that mean ? Any ideas on the FF A800 then ?

What does that mean ?

I guess he means you don't really need the xtras an SLR might bring and that you will be able to find a compact/bridge camera to meet your needs.

I guess he means you don't really need the xtras an SLR might bring and that you will be able to find a compact/bridge camera to meet your needs.

Yep. That and because the SLR system is typically somewhat more of a cash investment, especially compared to say an A800.

Ok so can anyone recomend a camera to me then ?

Any ideas on the FF A800 then ?

Try this - DPreview comments on it.