Shami Chakrabarti - Nusiance or public menace?

Over a considerable amount of time I have noticed that Shami Chakrabarti, Director of the lobbyist group Liberty popping up to offer an impassioned but woefully biased opinion on whichever subject even grazes the 'Human Rights' issue.

IMO this ruddy woman is wheeled out to spout her groups views on TV, radio and print, but which only has 90,000 members, She gets her head of steam and then just fires off a series of ill thought out statements criticising what she seemingly does not understand or is qualified to comment upon.

This woman is indicative of the minority groups who overplay their importance but keep trying to push their Grauniad reading, lentil eating ways upon the rest of us.

So what say you? Menace of society or spokeswoman of the opressed?

Couldn't agree with you more SV.

IMMSMC, her sister (Reeta) is a news reporter on ITV.:suspect:

I have quite a bit of time for her: she generally plays a straight bat on civil liberties issues.

A better target for your attack would be someone like Yasmin Alibhai-Brown.

90,000 members seems quite a lot actually. They certainly have more right to have their voice heard than the shadowy corporate lobbyists who have lots more influence over the government than the electorate does.

This government is intent on telling us what we can and can't do in just about every sphere of our lives, whilst quietly stripping away any rights we have to protest about it. Good on Liberty, I say, cos the future is looking a bit like Orwell's "boot stamping on a human face".

Over a considerable amount of time I have noticed that Shami Chakrabarti, Director of the lobbyist group Liberty popping up to offer an impassioned but woefully biased opinion on whichever subject even grazes the 'Human Rights' issue.

IMO this ruddy woman is wheeled out to spout her groups views on TV, radio and print, but which only has 90,000 members, She gets her head of steam and then just fires off a series of ill thought out statements criticising what she seemingly does not understand or is qualified to comment upon.

This woman is indicative of the minority groups who overplay their importance but keep trying to push their Grauniad reading, lentil eating ways upon the rest of us.

So what say you? Menace of society or spokeswoman of the opressed?

Do you get these 'talking points' directly from the BNP website, or do they just provide general themes for you to riff on?

Do you get these 'talking points' directly from the BNP website, or do they just provide general themes for you to riff on?

Would you like to point out any inference in SV's post that indicates a suggestion of racism - as your 'BNP' reference infers?

No, I thought you couldn't

She's a pain in the backside in my opinion, spouting about the 'rights' of criminals, scum and generally being a nuisance.

Can you not get to grips with the notion that people are capable of forming their own opinions, and just because it's something you don't agree with doesn't automatically mean they're just mindlessly regurgitating the party line of the BNP or the Daily Mail or whatever.

If other people are that brainwashed by certain media outlets, then it would be fair to say you are just as brainwashed by the Guardian, would it not? It works both ways or neither.

The rubbish she spouts gets up my nose, but you can't deny that the woman is a brilliant media performer.

Have you ever seen her on "Question Time"? No matter what logical, well thought-out objection anybody makes to her latest statement of hyper-PC twaddle, it is impossible to throw the woman off-track for even a second. She has an answer for everything.

Hmm, 90k members isn't really that small int he grand scheme of things.

Hmm, 90k members isn't really that small int he grand scheme of things.

I'm curious who these 90,000 are, and how they are recruited. Is it by invitation only?

I've never seen a subscription form in a newspaper, or been approached by anyone saying "Excuse me, could I interest you in becoming a member of Liberty?"

Can you not get to grips with the notion that people are capable of forming their own opinions, and just because it's something you don't agree with doesn't automatically mean they're just mindlessly regurgitating the party line of the BNP or the Daily Mail or whatever.

If other people are that brainwashed by certain media outlets, then it would be fair to say you are just as brainwashed by the Guardian, would it not? It works both ways or neither.

Purdyamos, I've only been on SF for a few weeks, but I always find your posts beacons of common-sense and well-reasoned argument.

You so often say what I'm thinking, even tho' I hadn't realised I was thinking it until you said it (if that makes sense!)