Sign in to follow this  

Need more help on Sheffield areas!

Hi All,

I have read nearly all the threads on moving to Sheffield and am still seeking a decent area near Sheffield to settle in that feels right.

We moved to Kiveton Park late June, yeah I know not the best area but as we are not city people we wanted a place outside of Sheffield but not too far. We are only renting for now so it is serving it's purpose.

Can anyone give me some feedback on the following areas:

Worksop

Carlton-in-Lindrick

Ecclesfield

Chapelton

Stocksbridge

Hoyland

Any info in terms of facilities for a family with a 3yr old and general shopping, housing and crime.

At the moment we are favouring Worksop & Ecclesfield and do prefer newer housing.

If anyone can think of other towns/villages outside but close to Sheffield please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Belinda

I have just moved to sheffield city centre having lived in worksop for two years. It was two years too long in my opinion, although there are probably worse places, it's definetly not somewhere i'd want to live again. Carlton-in-Lindrick seems nicer and the rest of the places I have no idea. :)

Isn't Hoyland in/near Barnsley? Can't say I recommend any of the mentioned areas. Whats your price range?

Hi,

I did have a budget of about £90K which I am now stretching to £130K but this kind of defeats the fact that the north is supposed to be cheaper.

I could get a similar property back in Shropshire and be close to family so I am thinking Sheffield is maybe not for us.

Probably too fussy, being originally from Australia, lived in West Sussex for 3 years and most recently in Shropshire I am struggling to find the right place for the right price and I know I am comparing to old places we have lived.

Anyway any comments very welcome although not that encouraging when you say you can't recommend any of my mentioned places, can you recommend any others?

BTW- Hoyland in just south of Barnsley.

I know all the great Sheffield places but I don't want to live in or on the outskirts of Sheffield.

Cheers,

Belinda

Will, what is so bad about Worksop. I personally don't mind the town and the new homes appear good value.

Can you elaborate on whats bad?

Thanks

Belinda

Would we be crazy to consider Mansfield and surrounding towns like Mansfield Woodhouse, Sutton in Ashfield & Huthwaite? Is this too far for commuting to Sheffield?

Ok I know it's the Sheffield Forum but does anyone have any insight into these towns?

Thanks

Belinda

Why not try Crystal Peaks, Sothall, Mosborough areas?

I was under the impression that Mosborough was a bit average but will to follow any recs. So you would recommend all towns under S20?

Do you know of any new housing developments in these areas?

Thanks

Belinda

I live in Sothall and would highly recommend it. Mosborough is lovely although I would aviod WESTFIELD like the plague.

Waterthorpe is nice, and i hear Owlthorpe too is a nice area.

Beighton is recommended, but I love Sothall as its quiet, close to Rothervalley Country Park and Crystal Peaks Shopping Centre.

Hope this helps. Come for a visit, you'd like it. Trust me!

MissyB, I didn't like Worksop because I found there was a distinct lack of decent shops, nightlife and things to do. There also seems to be a bad drugs problem there and lots of poverty, even McDonalds have left the town centre now.

Thanks Will, we have had a look at Carlton-in-Lindrick north or Worksop and quite like this, far enough out but still ok to commute to Sheffield. Anyone have any comments on Carlton?

Will be out this weekend looking and whilst many have said Ecclesfield is nice some have said it's a bit close to the S5 areas which I am concerned about. Any recs for areas north but away from problems areas?

Thanks

Belinda

If you're considering Stocksbridge area, try Penistone. A lovely place with library, Cinema, shops etc but retaining a village feel with outstanding countryside on the doorstep. I know, I've just moved from there after 9 years, (before you ask, it's what the wife wanted).

Col S