View Full Version : Cheap way of soundproofing a room?

Aaarrrggghhh
06-12-2004, 11:27
Suggestions plz

xafier
06-12-2004, 11:30
egg box's... lots and lots of egg box's :) just stick them to the walls and ceiling, stick loads of foam under the floorboards... sorted...

MTheo
06-12-2004, 11:36
http://doityourself.com/wall/soundproofceilingandwall.htm

can't say my d.i.y skills are great. but you could attempt it.

duffman
06-12-2004, 11:57
Originally posted by xafier
egg box's... lots and lots of egg box's :) just stick them to the walls and ceiling, stick loads of foam under the floorboards... sorted...

Plus loads of bubble wrap is good I found too, just don't get the urge to pop it all before you put it up.

Cyclone
06-12-2004, 12:58
cork tiles are used as well, although that costs more than bubble wrap and eggboxes.

JoeP
06-12-2004, 14:18
The egg boxes will act to break up echo-reflecting surfaces, but won't necessarily absorb all the sound coming through the wall. The will deaden the room, though.

Behind the egg boxes stick some thick polystyrene slabs.

A lot of bass and such comes through the structure of the building, so true 'dead rooms' are mechanically isolated from the structure of the building by thick rubber lumps.

Joe

letting
07-12-2004, 00:19
Dont make any noise in it?

Strix
07-12-2004, 00:26
Underlay? That's relatively cheap. Or that accoustic underlay for laminate floors is probably easier to handle.

What's the problem, anyway. Just so we can provide better advice

Aaarrrggghhh
07-12-2004, 09:14
Not a problem! Just want to go louder in my studio and not dusturb anyone. Its a large room on the end of a large old house (high ceilings, bare floorboards). I have a good cellar space too which I've thought about making a serious rehearsal room from. but its all about cost, as usual.

Thanks for all the advice.

Classic Rock
07-12-2004, 13:58
A layer of plasterboard, then a suspended layer of accoustic rockwool then a layer of plasterboard.

Aaarrrggghhh
07-12-2004, 14:05
thanks Calssic Rock - and just over and cut round the door?
Where to get acoustic rockwool?

fnkysknky
07-12-2004, 16:22
There's a million ways depending on how far you want to take it. 2 questions:

1. What actually needs insulating - walls, floor, ceiling?

2. How much do you want to spend?

Aaarrrggghhh
07-12-2004, 16:28
Two large walls, door ceiling and floor.
No money!

muddycoffee
07-12-2004, 16:35
I agree with Joe, Eggboxes will do nothing for sound insulation, they can only be used as a nasty cheap way to cut down on natural reverberation, but they damage so easily, better to put carpet on the walls.

Take classic rock advice, they had to do it and it works! Also is like that in most of the practice studios. Around here, Rockwool.! You can use polysyrene but make sure is smoke proof fire resistant stuff. You don't want loads of this in your house. If you want to improve a door, put a very heavy external door, making sure the fit is very tight and put either layers of plasterboard on, or even better stick rockwool on the door and stretch furnature vinyl over and use upholstry tacks to pull it tight.

fnkysknky
07-12-2004, 17:11
Wood fibre boards work ok cheap and cheerful - about 2 sq meter. You'd still have to board over though to get a decent finish.

Like someone mentioned above - the best way is to seperate the walls, floor and ceiling from the structure but obviously an expensive route to go down.

Aaarrrggghhh
07-12-2004, 19:43
well its all been very interesting thankyou. I hope now the neighbours won't hear her screams tonight...

Strix
07-12-2004, 19:54
B&Q sell very large sheets of varying thicknesses of polystyrene.

fnkysknky
08-12-2004, 18:45
Go to a builders merchants it's cheaper than that shed.

johnnybuoy
05-01-2007, 00:11
Great comments above, but any 'soft' material will help (yes, including the eggboxes - but maybe not that effective). Even furniture will improve the Mean Absorption Coefficient of the room. Carpet the floor, then cork the walls, and polystyrene tile the ceiling for a cheap diy job.

me-and-pippo
05-01-2007, 09:07
:nono: Just make sure it's a no smoking room !!!
Most of the materials mentioned are highly flammable !

fredsredhat
05-01-2007, 20:20
hang large heavy curtains (find them in charity shops for a few quid) over every wall and window, door etc.... cover the room in them and it cuts the sound down by loads. my neighbour cant hear the drum kit in the attic room (mid teraced house and i've asked both of them)