View Full Version : How can I find out who this phone number belongs to?

Lady_Cat
22-06-2007, 21:34
I know you will all say phone it but i cant/dont want to.

So.... how can i find out online who a number belongs to?

I have the number and have put it in google but no results.
I have gone on all the phone book sites and i can only find the option to search a name or business to be given a number and cant find an option to put a number in to get a name?

Hope that made sense.

Can anyone help me please?

It is a land number (01709).
Thanks

Exhaust
22-06-2007, 21:36

I have gone on all the phone book sites and i can only find the option to search a name or business to be given a number and cant find an option to put a number in to get a name?

Hope that made sense.

Thanks

Have you tried google with the " things on the ends?
If that comes up with nothing, I don't think it possible to find a residential number like that unless the number is on a website and is cached in Google's thing. (technical jargon is probably too advanced for you) :D

camping_gaz
22-06-2007, 21:37

Hope that made sense.

Thanks

:confused::huh:

Exhaust
22-06-2007, 21:40
Its obviously Rotherham... That narrows it down a bit I guess! :P

brooksy
22-06-2007, 21:41

Hope that made sense.

ThanksHmm tricky one,cant you just phone it.:roll::roll:

Plain Talker
22-06-2007, 21:43
Its obviously Rotherham... That narrows it down a bit I guess! :P

you beat me to it, exhaust, I was going to say that. :D

Lady_Cat
22-06-2007, 21:43
Have you tried google with the " things on the ends?
If that comes up with nothing, I don't think it possible to find a residential number like that unless the number is on a website and is cached in Google's thing. (technical jargon is probably too advanced for you) :D

Hiya, have tried the " and no luck.
Yeah technical things are for big boys haha

and Gaz, in response to your puzzled look i cant/dont want to because i think it is a business number!

(long story)

alchresearch
22-06-2007, 21:47
What's the deal with the number? Are you avoiding their call or did you have a problem when they rang?

I was being pestered by an 01709 number that was silent every time I answered. It turned out to be a call centre trying to sell me payment protection on my credit card.

Thunzi
22-06-2007, 21:49
You can't do a reverse number search in the UK, unless you have a piece of hacked BT software, and no, I don't have it. :)

If you don't want them to know you've rung can't you just make yourself anonymous on your phone before calling? It's an option on most mobiles, or just put 141 before the number when you ring it?

Lady_Cat
22-06-2007, 21:50
The deal is.... i think it is a company but more specific a direct number to someone in that company who i dont wish to speak to although i cannot be certain and that is why i wanted to find out.

Not in debt or owt so i know its nothing like that i just THINK it is someone who i dont wish to speak to hence the fact i dont wish to phone it.

Hope that explains a little better. :)

Dozy
22-06-2007, 21:52
The deal is.... i think it is a company but more specific a direct number to someone in that company who i dont wish to speak to although i cannot be certain and that is why i wanted to find out.

Not in debt or owt so i know its nothing like that i just THINK it is someone who i dont wish to speak to hence the fact i dont wish to phone it.

Hope that explains a little better. :)

Why don't you just get a friend of the opposite gender to phone the number for you on their own phone? They can ask who they're talking to, then just say it's a wrong number.

Dozy

Lady_Cat
22-06-2007, 21:56
Why don't you just get a friend of the opposite gender to phone the number for you on their own phone? They can ask who they're talking to, then just say it's a wrong number.

Dozy

That could be a plan but seeing as though i am sat in all on my lonesome it isn't an option!

Guess will just have to leave it!

Exhaust
22-06-2007, 21:57

Dozy

Or just wait till they answer then fart down the mouth piece! :D

lyndix
22-06-2007, 21:58
get someone else to phone it for you, then they can ask who it is!

Dozy
22-06-2007, 22:02
Or just wait till they answer then fart down the mouth piece! :D

An even better idea!!! :hihi:

Dozy

Mentalmomma
22-06-2007, 22:15
As it's a landline, just ring it from a phonbox, wont cost you alot and you'll be able to ask who it is, should they not state. Don't say who you are, lie and say there number keeps coming up on your phone. Also you could, Contact your network provider and have a block put on it.:)

Ghozer
22-06-2007, 22:19
You can't do a reverse number search in the UK, unless you have a piece of hacked BT software, and no, I don't have it. :)

If you don't want them to know you've rung can't you just make yourself anonymous on your phone before calling? It's an option on most mobiles, or just put 141 before the number when you ring it?

actually you can, use google, there's many sites, you can even trace mobiles to within a 20 yard range online, however they are sites you have to pay for.

Thunzi
22-06-2007, 22:41
actually you can, use google, there's many sites, you can even trace mobiles to within a 20 yard range online, however they are sites you have to pay for.
Can't you only use google if the number has been cached somewhere though? You can't use it to find out who the owner of the line is like you can for in America...?

Don't the mobile phones have to be registered with the service? You can't just put any number in and trace it. They are used to keep track of where the kids are I believe?

Ghozer
22-06-2007, 22:42
Can't you only use google if the number has been cached somewhere though? You can't use it to find out who the owner of the line is like you can for in America...?

Don't the mobile phones have to be registered with the service? You can't just put any number in and trace it. They are used to keep track of where the kids are I believe?

no, i mean use google to find a website that offers the service..

haddockman
22-06-2007, 22:44
Tried googling it?

Lady_Cat
22-06-2007, 22:49
Tried googling it?

tried reading my original post?

haddockman
22-06-2007, 23:16
tried reading my original post?

Sorry yeah, missed that :(

*Cinderella*
23-06-2007, 11:30

Why not start by looking up the phone number for this company; that will at least let you make a more educated guess as to whether you're right.

Post the whole number; maybe you'll be lucky and someone'll recognise it.

stylecather
23-06-2007, 17:42
haha. try to go google and search around , see wheter u can find it

Lady_Cat
23-06-2007, 18:16
haha. try to go google and search around , see wheter u can find it

Explain please?

1) what is funny?
2) where else on google could i find it other than what i have already stated?

thursday
23-06-2007, 18:21
If you think it's a business number, ring very late at night and see if there's a recorded message...

tony2311
23-06-2007, 23:38
pm me the number and i will ring it,

madcow
24-06-2007, 08:48

Hope that made sense.

Thanks

Trace-Phone.freerecordsregistry.com ,don't know if this will help but maybe worth a try

stuchyg
24-06-2007, 10:52
why not just come out and say that you think your beeing cheated on and you want to find out if you are or not

Joey
24-06-2007, 11:08
If its a direct dial number, the main number to the company is often the same number except for the last 3 or 4 digits. Trying Googling the number with an * instead of the last 3 (or 4). Then you might see if it is the company you think it is.