View Full Version : B&Q Darnall - Closing Down?

Zarniwoop
22-06-2007, 18:38
This is in today's Telegraph planning applications.

Application under Section 73 to vary condition no.17 (restriction on goods for sale to allow for use as a foodstore) imposed by 04/02288/FUL for the erection of non-food retail unit, garden centre, greenhouse, canopy, builders yard, car parking, access road & associated landscaping works (full planning) and erection of industrial unit (outline planning)

Does this mean that they want to sell it off for use as a supermarket ?

Anyone work there know anything ?

Dawn36
22-06-2007, 19:19
I worked for a fashion and home care company some years ago and we applied for this on all our stores as its easier to move the buildings if need be and also covers you for cafes and coffee shops.So this may be what they are doing.

d71146
22-06-2007, 19:30

Application under Section 73 to vary condition no.17 (restriction on goods for sale to allow for use as a foodstore) imposed by 04/02288/FUL for the erection of non-food retail unit, garden centre, greenhouse, canopy, builders yard, car parking, access road & associated landscaping works (full planning) and erection of industrial unit (outline planning)

Not sure about this case but in the area I come from (Bournemouth) a brand new B&Q was built a really huge one about a couple of years ago today its now a general purpose store selling a variety of things.

Meaks
22-06-2007, 23:06
Maybe they are opening a cafe?

Sarkysod
22-06-2007, 23:44
I Hope it is sold off as a supermarket. Since the closure of Morrisons at Darnall the area has been without a decent place to get essentials for a lot of local people. The new Lidl is nothing but a joke with no emphasis on customer requirements or service. Darnall has a good number of pensioners on the Greenland Estate which Lidl does not cater for. I am hoping Darnall gets the facility it needs not just somewhere to buy a new bathroom at 8pm.

cgksheff
23-06-2007, 08:03
Maybe they are opening a cafe?

They already have one!

lauren84
23-06-2007, 08:18

To me, this seems like they are varying a condition allowing them to use the site as a foodstore - the replacement condition being that a non-food retail unit will be erected on the site (which is already the case)

Maybe B&Q didn't have the proper paperwork and they had to readvertise the public notice from when the store was built.

What do you all think?

ChrisTodd
23-06-2007, 08:23
I have heard they are looking to scale down the B&Q, so opening other units would make sense.

lauren84
23-06-2007, 08:26
I have heard they are looking to scale down the B&Q, so opening other units would make sense.

Yeah that would make sense in what the notice is saying.

Andrew B
25-06-2007, 10:56
B&Q Darnall are going to be scaled down and they are going to rent off a portion of the store to another retailer.

Up until the begining of this month, they had only opened it up to Non-Food Retailers, but now it is open to all.

There is not going to be any job losses and they will still off all the services just at a reduced stock holding, (the rest will be special order). They recently did this to another store and it has worked.

Honest i have inside information.;)

Dizzyblonde
25-06-2007, 12:28
It infuriates me that the spell the store on their website and till receipts Darnell

scottf
25-06-2007, 12:31
Hhhmm- tesco building a big store there rings a bell, not sure why though- ill keep thinking!

Bilge
25-06-2007, 14:08
B&Q Darnall are going to be scaled down and they are going to rent off a portion of the store to another retailer.

Up until the begining of this month, they had only opened it up to Non-Food Retailers, but now it is open to all.

There is not going to be any job losses and they will still off all the services just at a reduced stock holding, (the rest will be special order). They recently did this to another store and it has worked.

Honest i have inside information.;)

Is there a general move away from giant DIY stores then? Maybe there will be lots more smaller stores instead - like the supermarkets. The Hillsborough B&Q is having a bit of a (well overdue) reorganisation. They seem to be upgrading so it resembles their bigger stores (loads of new high shelves and fewer heaps of discounted items), but not making the building or car park any bigger.

yorkiepudd
25-06-2007, 16:54
It infuriates me that the spell the store on their website and till receipts Darnell
And the phone system, where it is pronounced Darn- ell. I think Darnall is being downsized due to the downturn in the market - rents are rising and takings are pretty static. They can only do this where the lease agreement for the buildings allows. Queens Rd is getting a multi-million pound refit instead.

Tyranna
25-06-2007, 17:00
B&Q are undergoing a major refit of all their stores as a rolling programme, to make them more attractive to a wider variety of customers. Maybe this permission change is related to this programme.

Andrew B
25-06-2007, 17:36
The permission change is not related to the Lease of a potion of the Darnall Store, it is due to the store not being as profitable as B&Q would have liked, Although the store is achieving targets 99% of the time.

The reason the Telephone and Reciepts say Darnell is because they were programmed and recorded by a no-nothing Southerner..........

Darnall Store is not having a full refit as they are the more modern design of the chain, they are aimed at people doing Make-overs & Renivations more than General DIY.

All B&Q Stores, when built are owned by B&Q and then sold 12 Months Later to a Leasing Agent, They all have exactly the same contracts and lease term, With B&Q given the right to alter / Upgrade or close any site.

B&Q also had large redundancies about 12 months ago and they were in the press as being in financial diffculties, this also wasnt true, 90% of redundancies were only positions with the staff being kept on in different roles, unless they wished to leave.

:thumbsup:

d71146
25-06-2007, 19:23
The permission change is not related to the Lease of a potion of the Darnall Store, it is due to the store not being as profitable as B&Q would have liked, Although the store is achieving targets 99% of the time.

The reason the Telephone and Reciepts say Darnell is because they were programmed and recorded by a no-nothing Southerner..........

Darnall Store is not having a full refit as they are the more modern design of the chain, they are aimed at people doing Make-overs & Renivations more than General DIY.

All B&Q Stores, when built are owned by B&Q and then sold 12 Months Later to a Leasing Agent, They all have exactly the same contracts and lease term, With B&Q given the right to alter / Upgrade or close any site.

B&Q also had large redundancies about 12 months ago and they were in the press as being in financial diffculties, this also wasnt true, 90% of redundancies were only positions with the staff being kept on in different roles, unless they wished to leave.

I really dont know what being a Southerner has to do with it let me enlighten you on its history the first B&Q started in a place called Shirley a suburb of Southampton back in the early seventies and I recall it well, it was little more than the size of todays corner shops and now it is a household name all over the country.
Having said that I think they were being over optimistic by building these huge stores and now having to downsize.

yorkiepudd
25-06-2007, 20:51
I really dont know what being a Southerner has to do with it let me enlighten you on its history the first B&Q started in a place called Shirley a suburb of Southampton back in the early seventies and I recall it well, it was little more than the size of todays corner shops and now it is a household name all over the country.
Having said that I think they were being over optimistic by building these huge stores and now having to downsize. To be precise it was in an old cinema (that looked somewhat like the Abbeydale Picture Palace in Sheffield) in 1969.

That is wildy inaccurate. Most modern B&Qs (built since 1997) are wholly owned by several landlords, all of whom have their own terms and conditions in the lease, as well as the terms and conditions laid out in the planning consent which also form part of the lease, and vary from site to site, as well as from place to place depending on the planning authority. that is one of the main reasons that many of the 'resizes' are still under negotiation and cannot be publicly named until negotiations are completed.

Andrew B
26-06-2007, 05:59
:roll::roll::roll::roll:

StubbsUK
26-06-2007, 11:02

It could be worse, they could insist you great all the employees with a cheery "hey crab man!"

natalie10
11-09-2007, 17:17
i work on the returns desk at darnall b&q and i can conform they are NOT closing down. They are planning on 'cutting' a part of the store off and making it into a small supermarket but were staying open if this happens.

yorkiepudd
11-09-2007, 20:52
Planning permission for food use has been turned down. Unlikely to happen soon unless they find another wanting to lease the part-store for non-food retailing, and they won't want anything that conflicts with their own product range.

yorkiepudd
05-10-2008, 17:14
Anyone see the news yesterday - Look North apparently reporting that a B&Q in Sheffield is closing. Darnall perhaps???

bus man
05-10-2008, 18:00
Various B&Qs around the country have done this

yorkiepudd
05-10-2008, 19:51
There was a big restructuring program back in 2005, but that included the possible downsizing of the Darnall Store. All the closures outlined at that time have been actioned.

This particular item was on the news yesterday apparently.

alchresearch
06-10-2008, 16:33
In related news, Focus DIY is to cut 750 jobs in the current "difficult economic climate", the company has confirmed.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20081006/tuk-diy-chain-to-axe-750-jobs-6323e80.html

The Scunthorpe Distribution Centre is going to axe 150:

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/news/150-jobs-set-B-Q/article-374519-detail/article.html

yorkiepudd
08-10-2008, 16:35
I think the Scunthorpe one is what I was told about - some obvious confusion there.

Homebase are also cutting back the hours of many staff, including the full-timers.

spritulist
08-10-2008, 17:26
i go their and its packed out and at the weekends its even worse it must be a gold mine

spritulist
08-10-2008, 17:26
they have some real bargins.....

coopster1974
08-10-2008, 18:42
even some bargains!

cheapcod
08-10-2008, 19:15
In related news, Focus DIY is to cut 750 jobs in the current "difficult economic climate", the company has confirmed.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20081006/tuk-diy-chain-to-axe-750-jobs-6323e80.html

The Scunthorpe Distribution Centre is going to axe 150:

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/news/150-jobs-set-B-Q/article-374519-detail/article.html

they are not axing jobs the place is shutting down,i know it amounts to the same,but that would sugest that some are to be saved

E.Y.P
30-01-2009, 20:44
hey there eager scare mongers lol...B&Q isnt closing down. i am an employee of the darnall store and we can categorically say...NO! it isnt closing. i get asked this question many times on the weekends that i work and some even insist that they know more than me when telling me that im out of a job. but sadly i am not. B&Q is one of the few businesses that are still making money. there has been plans to make it a mini warehouse but these weree talked about 2 years ago! nothing is happening to the store and they are even offering overtime to some staff! no we dont have any vacancies ;P. So in answer to this forums question. NO we are not closing! stop aksing mne this question when you come in too lol...only joking....see ya all soon me harties!

E.Y.P
30-01-2009, 20:48
and yes i hate it being called Darnell to...all because microsoft and bill n his m8s word processor spell checks DarnALL! check it out for your self! ANNOYING!

spritulist
30-01-2009, 20:51
shame as it ususlly gets busy tho

E.Y.P
30-01-2009, 20:52
its not closing spiritualist! read!!!!!!!!!!!!!