Sign in to follow this  

Does anybody know anything about gilding?

well, as the title says i suppose!

ive got a huge wooden framed mirror that id like to gild with silver leaf.

ive done a bit of research online for supplies and i feel confident enough to undertake the job....but i wouldnt mind any practical advice anybody can offer.

the plan is to use silver leaf and then seal it with a balck based glaze to stop it from tarnishing, but also to take some of the shine off.

as i say, all advice, experience and shopping recommendations gratefully received.

thanks,

x

i can believe theres no replies yet...i always rely on the forum for my fact finding missions.

someone must know something! :help:

x

I used to know a gilder who worked for one of the major fine art galleries in London and from what he said, it is a highly skilled craft. Think it would be a good idea to do some more research and a number of dummy runs on several items that dont really matter that much to you but which you'd lke to make look nicer than they are presently.

thanks for the replies, ive since decided that whilst im happy to do it myself, and would be very proud of myself for doing it, ill probably just mess it up!

so im waiting for some fundage and then i think im going to leave it to the experts.

thanks for your advice though.

x

Still have a try - you may be very pleasantly surprised. It takes time to build up the confidence and expertise - if you dont try you'll never know whether it's something you'd be any good at doing - just practice on other pieces which you dont mind messing up.