View Full Version : Who remembers being caned at school?

Pages : [1] 2 3

paul0726
21-06-2007, 13:47
do you remember ever being caned at school or getting slippered
i did many a time in front of all the school
what did you get caned for :hihi:

fox20thc
21-06-2007, 14:11
I got slippered at about 7 yrs old for cutting up some display paper :(

eyretile
21-06-2007, 14:18
I got caned once on each hand for forgettting to go to school one day, more commonly known as waggin it!! Although to be fair we did choose to spend the day furthering our thirst for knowledge in the City library. Happy days!

lazyherbert
21-06-2007, 14:58
I used to get the stick every day because as soon as there was any writing to do with those old steel pens my page would look as if a spider had walked on it.Come here boy,Whack Whack. I hated school.

sweetdexter
21-06-2007, 15:03
I played truant with the kid next door I think one of the snotty 'teachers pet' happened to say" They live next door to each other".
This was at Colley School 1950/1, we spent the day in Grenner Woods
Mr Birch had us in his office with Mr Shaw in attendance and gave us 6 of the best on the palm.
When I was questioned I said i did not know the neighbour was also off school, to which Mr Birch looked at Mr Shaw and said "Have you ever seen pigs fly?".All this without even checking with the parents to see if it was a genuine absence.
I have no complaints

depoix
21-06-2007, 16:20
i hade the cane,for blowing a rassberry when the teacher bent over,and our whole class got it one day,we were told to write about our school,what we liked and disliked,we did,the teachers didnt like the end result so we all got the stick

ive also had the slipper,the board cleaner thrown at me and dozens of bits of chalk :hihi:

one woman teacher was so evil she would take your hand and thump the back of it against the corner of the desk,this caused my cousin to call her an evil bag,so she made her put soap in her mouth,the day after the same teacher was made to eat the full block of lifeboy by my auntie mable

the teachers were very cruel to the kids,one used acid to remove girls nail varnish,the same one walked around with a cane up his sleeve and would lash you with it for any reason he could think of,other teachers used to borrow fags of the kids and pay them back at the end of the month,then cane them for having fags on them :loopy:

pattricia
21-06-2007, 16:24
Yes, got caned for wagging it all afternoon with some other kids. I was so proud, being a girl, and showed my red marks off to the other kids.:D

Timbuck
21-06-2007, 17:29
"Six of the Best" was quite common in the 40's and 50's at Shiregreen School...When you took your punishment you had to keep yourself from showing any kind of pain..the slightest detection of a tear and you were doomed...You would be regarded by your classmates as a "Sissy" ..And as you returned to your desk they would make remarks such as "Look He's Roorin" and laugh at you.....After a good caning you couldn't hold a pen for a least 30 min's and the whelts stayed till the next day.

steamrollus
21-06-2007, 17:39
You can still get the cane a Le Chambre and other establishments in the Attercliffe area.

Regarding having chalk thrown at you, I have never heard of that but, as they say, "whatever turns you on"

PopT
21-06-2007, 19:53
I remembered being caned by a teacher at Hillsborough County school about 1953.

He gave me six strokes and badly bruised all my fingers so that I couldn't hold a pen which defeated the object of education and showed what kind of a sadist he was.

It's a miracle my father didn't throttle him.

Unhappy Days!

melthebell
21-06-2007, 19:57
i wasnt caned but ive been slippered and had board rubbers chucked at me :D

Jabberwocky
21-06-2007, 20:01
I was caned and slippered more times than I care to remember.
The teachers started to worry when I started to enjoy it though and when I started wearing French Knickers for my canings they became more than mildly concerned...

BLITZER
21-06-2007, 22:21
Like most lads in my class I had the cane for some misdemeanour or other. If
you drew your hand away and he missed ,he would catch the back of your hand on the way back up,and that was an extra, Our woodwork teacher was a Scot,and his favourite weapon was a strap. He would make sure the strap would reach up to your wrist,very painful. One teacher would call you out to the front and then strike the lamp shade with his cane and say "Seconds out"before laying it on your hand. All part of being a shcoolboy in my day.

mrteabag
22-06-2007, 06:22
i got slippered at st stephens school for dis-respecting mrs briggs :o
i was copying everything she said for a dare didnt do it again ever not for 10 refresher chews :hihi::hihi::hihi:

melv
22-06-2007, 08:51
In junior school I was hit with board rubbers,slippers, rounders bats & a stool ball bat. I also was slapped, had my hair pulled & was thumped in the middle of my back...mostly for getting work wrong, & slight misdemeanors, such as running in the corridor or forgetting my games kit.

Life was much simpler in secondary school....They only hit us with canes:D

I still think now that the poorer the teacher the more they hit you !

pressy
22-06-2007, 09:12
Teacher at Gleadless Middle school in the 70s was well known for chucking board rubbers at lads sat on the back bench. he was the one who gave the slipper & smacked on hand with 12" wooden ruler.

Gingerbarf
22-06-2007, 10:35
The sad thing is now kids get caned everyday at school, but not the wooden stick kind.

If punishments like this were still allowed then there might be a bit more discipline installed into the youth of today, and maybe gun/knife crime would not be as high as it is.

Because seriously did being caned turn us all into the monsters that we have on our streets today???? i think not

Jossman
22-06-2007, 11:32
I was caned in front of the whole school at assembly, amongst several others, for ditching our homework. Discrimination crept in even in those years (middle 50's) as the girl offenders were given a verbal warning. The school was Owler Lane and the "Caner" was Albert Lupton, an ex Royal Marine PTI. Any forumers remember him??

melv
22-06-2007, 11:57
Funny you should say that about discrimination Jossman. I can't remember a single instance where a girl got assaulted by the teachers.

My school was Norton County (now Mundella), & the chief sadist was a Mr Morris, who was ex army...what a surprise !!!

Timbuck
22-06-2007, 12:59
We lads who got caned on a daily basis had a secret substance that we rubbed into our hands..it was found dumped on Winkobank Tip..We called it "Canebreak"..it actually was "Mica" that was used for Electrical insulation... It made your hands sparkle.....But we believed it had magical powers...we used to misbehave in class so we could test it out.

a.ndy1234
22-06-2007, 13:07
i got the slipper in't juniors for being pushed out of dinner queue by david concannon,the head master mr williamson did this,then i got cane in't seniors from mr cooke the metalwork teacher for not paying attention.what i do remember is a teacher we used to call deadly headly he was famed for administering punishment with his board ruler that was cracked one end, i was lucky enough not to sample this tho.

Ant
22-06-2007, 14:21
I was never caned myself, but I remember an occassion when one of my friends was being particularly cheeky to the teacher and was caned for it.

He met us after school and showed us the mark - a deep red, long swollen blister at the top of his leg. The poor kid was in shock. He wasn't crying, but you could see how deeply it had affected him. He just kept pulling his trousers down to look at it and looking back at us in horror. No kid deserves that.

Jossman
22-06-2007, 19:55
We lads who got caned on a daily basis had a secret substance that we rubbed into our hands..it was found dumped on Winkobank Tip..We called it "Canebreak"..it actually was "Mica" that was used for Electrical insulation... It made your hands sparkle.....But we believed it had magical powers...we used to misbehave in class so we could test it out.

S'funny how caning had it's own myths. I remember stories of "He's got a split cane that splinters and rips your hands". Another one was the cane being wrapped around with black tape on the end bit, supposedly to give a heavier thwack. The one reality was the bruising to the fingers and the retort from Dad, you deserved it!! Nowadays the parents would be suing for ABH. How times change.

Allen
22-06-2007, 22:38
I was caned in Junior school...for moving in the playground after the whilstle was blown. We were supposed to stand still.

Was slippered regularly at Grammar School by the maths teacher who thought it a joke to to pick on me all the time. (the other kids would encourage him)

Although he was well out of order, and it wouldn't happen today, I still believe banishing corporal punishment was a big mistake.
You knew bloody well that if you did ow't wrong the stick was waiting for you.

Oh...and another one when you got home if mi Dad found out.

geotom
23-06-2007, 06:24
I got caned 1 on each hand for spitting in the school play ground, lesson taught, never spat since, and no mental scars.

flyer
24-06-2007, 13:06
I dont think they canned at Fullwood or Greystones either that or I was a real good kid,maybe they just felt sorry for the homes kids?

Floridablade
25-06-2007, 02:34
Ah! Mr. Pool at Derbyshire Lane School used to cane me on a regular basis simply because I refused to attend assembly with the religious indoctranation they spouted. One of the teachers, Helliwell by name caned me and broke two fingers he then strapped two pencil stubs to them in an attempt to reset them. I have no doubt that I deserved a lot of the caning but some of the teachers were just sadistic twits.

bassplayer
25-06-2007, 07:35
I helped a dinner lady with a weak voice. She could not get the children to be quiet. "Can I have a go to tell them ?" "Oh yes please do my throat hurts from shouting" So I did.
"BE QUIET!!" I yelled and it went quiet. She said thanks and that was that I thought. WRONG!!!! ...at afternoon registration the headmaster came into our form room and said that I had been reported for shouting in the dinner room by the SAME dinnerlady I had assisted; and to add injury to insult slippered me in front of the whole class!!!!!!!..............still grates me today....grrrr!

KissMy@ss!
31-08-2007, 10:13
Hahaha you must have been a bad boy lol

arrodbo
31-08-2007, 12:51
3 or 4 of us got caned by a teacher called Mr. Popple at Chaucer in the 1950s. Our crime was that we spent our tram money on sweets and arrived at school late so Popple told us we had to write an essay named...MANNERS MAKETH MAN, needless to say we had not got a clue what he meant so we got the cane each morning and then one of the lads father came and verbally abused the teacher so we were let off. Used to get cane for smoking too.

allthegearno
31-08-2007, 13:49
Teacher at Gleadless Middle school in the 70s was well known for chucking board rubbers at lads sat on the back bench. he was the one who gave the slipper & smacked on hand with 12" wooden ruler.
i remember that teacher myself cant remember his name though:loopy:
was it him that was caught in the stock cupbord with that lass.:suspect:
the games teacher used a cricket bat :wow:

poppins
31-08-2007, 14:19
Getting caned was very painfull, but people pay big money for that now-a-days .:)

dan2802
31-08-2007, 15:53
i got caned for having a snowball fight with some workman!!
i was only about 10 and we were having a right laugh, the workmen tried sticking up for us but no one listned to them.
firshill school - cane-ee was steve woodcock.

BorderReiver
31-08-2007, 18:24
Yes, got caned for wagging it all afternoon with some other kids. I was so proud, being a girl, and showed my red marks off to the other kids.:D

Wow! - I bet the lads enjoyed that - I'm assuming you were caned on your derrière :love:

Texas
01-09-2007, 18:18
I got three each hand, I guess that's six of the best, as they used to say, for smacking a kid called Sammy Clark, on his node and breaking his glasses. Node is not a spelling mistake, thats what it sounded like when he was moaning about it afterwards.
At Pye Bank, by my mate Spieght.

Janner
01-09-2007, 18:55
I had six strokes ( more like wacks) of the cane on the rear end when I was at Firth Park Grammar School in 1944. Can't remember why , I do know when I showed my Mam the marks she was very sympathetic and applied some easing balm. Mam did say whatever I had done, don't do it again.

datal
20-09-2007, 12:09
I went to Southey Green Secondary School in the 50's & was caned often, this particular time I'd been scratching my back with a ruler, which 'obviously' was an excuse to give me a good caning, the teacher actually dislocated my middle fingers & I was in agony for weeks, I never complained about it & to this day I still get pains in my right hand when it's cold.
Thinking about it now, I was always being caned for trivial things.

Eeee!!!..... We WERE tough in those days. :hihi:

Redneck
20-09-2007, 19:46
The Headmaster, at one of the schools I went to, used to stand at the door with his watch in one hand and a big strap in the other - if you were even a second late you got the strap. One lad , who used to be late regularly came up with a plan. There was a phone box at the end of the road so he would ring up the head master then put the phone down and dash for the door whilst the Head was gone to answer his call, He went to the well once too often and the Headmaster ( and his strap ) were waiting for him behind the door. Didn't get any credit for ingenuity !!

RiffRaff
20-09-2007, 21:42
Jordanthorpe, mid-60's.
Our history teacher - Mr.Haythorn? - opened his desk one day to find that one of the pupils had spilt ink all over his books inside his desk.
He gave the class 24 hours to find out who the culprit was and 'hand him over' or the entire class would get the cane.
We didn't, and he did!
At least one on each hand (can't remember exactly) for circa 30 of us - must've taken some time!
I can still remember the instructions though - hand out level, keep your thumb down and out of the way (or would probably get broken) and don't pull away.
Still have my suspicions about a culprit - come on, Ray Ashcroft!
It's time to come clean!

wishdokter
21-09-2007, 09:21
I was strapped twice on both my palms with a thick leather strap.

This happened on the first day of high school by a Geography teacher called Mr Kleindings of Halifax Catholic High School (now St Catherine's Catholic High) back in the early 80's

He claimed that I'd laughed. I hadn't, and I strongly believe that he was solely making an example of me, as not a single pupil messed about in his lessons from that day forward.

There were many teachers whom took great pleasure in inflicting pain on their pupils but Kleindings was one of the worst. Just as abusive was Mad Jack Milner and Sister Maria.

njo

RiffRaff
21-09-2007, 14:31
I was strapped twice on both my palms with a thick leather strap.

This happened on the first day of high school by a Geography teacher called Mr Kleindings of Halifax Catholic High School (now St Catherine's Catholic High) back in the early 80's

He claimed that I'd laughed. I hadn't, and I strongly believe that he was solely making an example of me, as not a single pupil messed about in his lessons from that day forward.

There were many teachers whom took great pleasure in inflicting pain on their pupils but Kleindings was one of the worst. Just as abusive was Mad Jack Milner and Sister Maria.

njo

A Catholic school into brutalising children?!
Unthinkable!

Till Man
21-09-2007, 14:49
I was slippered by the sadist who was our history teacher at prep school. I have completely forgotten what for, and am not sure I even knew at the time, it was probably just my turn.
The man used to carry around a size 13 plimsole sole (with no upper) in his briefcase. This he would beat boys with regularly, not stopping at 6 (or even sometimes 12) of the best, but continuing to thrash the child until he was howling uncontrollably.
More than 30 years later I still have no respect for the man or his methods.

Zed217
21-09-2007, 15:25
caned? i got dragged up the yard with my hair as head thought i had been waggin school:gag:

Rocklegend
22-09-2007, 20:04
A boy I know got the slipper on his VERY FIRST day at Nether Green school for having his hands in his pockets.He was only 5 or 6.Scandalous.Shame on u Mr Courage.:(

graystreet
01-10-2007, 11:33
I have only been punished by teachers on three occasions
First time in the infants at Pye Bank School,maybe 6 or 7 yr old, a ruler accross my hands,(thankyou Mrs Hancock).
Second time in my first year at Chaucer School about 1968, a slipper across my backside,(thanks to PE teacher Mr Pearson),
and in the same year the good old cane, one stroke only on each hand,(thankyou Mr.Plant head teacher) I seem to recall that a Matthew Holmes and Robert England got the cane with me that day.
For kids today who wonder what its like to get the cane, watch the expression of hurt on the face of the kid Billy Casper in the film Kes.

athy
02-10-2007, 14:48
I was slippered, cuffed, had various objects such as chalk bounce off my cranium, and a ruler across the back of my hand, during my time at Gleadless County and at King Ted's. I certainly don't resent any of it - if I hadn't misbehaved I wouldn't have been punished.
Oddly enough I was never actually caned. Uncle Norman, the music master at King ted's, did take me outside the classroom to cane me once, but in fact he administered three stokes to the door handle instead of to me. He was a kindly fellow, from Ranmoor I think - at least my parents told me that he played the organ at a church in Ranmoor. I can't remember his surname.

Rocklegend
08-10-2007, 20:24
I was slippered, cuffed, had various objects such as chalk bounce off my cranium, and a ruler across the back of my hand, during my time at Gleadless County and at King Ted's. I certainly don't resent any of it - if I hadn't misbehaved I wouldn't have been punished.
Oddly enough I was never actually caned. Uncle Norman, the music master at King ted's, did take me outside the classroom to cane me once, but in fact he administered three stokes to the door handle instead of to me. He was a kindly fellow, from Ranmoor I think - at least my parents told me that he played the organ at a church in Ranmoor. I can't remember his surname. It was Barnes,he tried to teach me....:D

RiffRaff
08-10-2007, 22:31
I've just remembered another occasion when I got caned - in the early 60's, I attended quite a famous, and very old fashioned, school in Belfast.
Established in the year dot, it was one of those schools where the masters still wore gowns and 'boards, you were taught Latin as a matter of course, and the school assembly hall featured wooden plaques honouring ex-pupils who had lost their lives in WW1, The Boer and Crimean conflicts, etc., etc.
To give you a taster, (and bear in mind that this was just into the 60's) you were supposed to wear your school uniform - black blazer and trousers, school tie, quartered yellow and black cap - at any time you were in the city, whether you be at school or not that day.
From memory, the school week also included Saturday mornings until noon.
On one occasion I lost my school cap, and after searching high-and-low for it, was forced to go to school without it.....and I got three cane strokes on each hand for the misdemeanor and 'bringing the school into disrepute'.
I'd only have been 11/12 at the time, and yes, I had taken a letter from my mum explaining matters!

RockDrummer
09-10-2007, 01:29
I got four from Mr Ruding at King Teds for going into the girls playground after being warned about it once before (only to retrieve our football, nothing else!). After that I avoided Mr Firth at the upper school at all costs - and I NEVER went in the girls playground again - ever! So it worked.

But in 1970 I lived in South Africa, Jo'burg, (Northview High School) and I once got the "Flaps" (a piece of sculptured tyre tread) for forgetting to bring my technical drawing instruments to class. Now that was bloody painful, I'll never forget it. And today, I'd like to meet the ...person.. who did it.

mikeG
09-10-2007, 08:33
When I was 8, the boy next to me in class was sent out of the room to be punished by someone other than the teacher. After a few minutes he came back and sat next to me, biting his lip and fighting back the tears. The fingers on one hand were badly bruised, swollen and bleeding. Had I known then what I know now, I would have pointed out this abuse to the teacher. The poor lad in question lost both parents in WW2 and lived with his grandparents. The image of this perverted brutality has remained with me for the last 56 years. The person responsible for administering the punishment carried on till reaching retirement age. How many more kids were abused, I shall never know.

awoollen
09-10-2007, 09:41
"Six of the Best" was quite common in the 40's and 50's at Shiregreen School...When you took your punishment you had to keep yourself from showing any kind of pain..the slightest detection of a tear and you were doomed...You would be regarded by your classmates as a "Sissy" ..And as you returned to your desk they would make remarks such as "Look He's Roorin" and laugh at you.....After a good caning you couldn't hold a pen for a least 30 min's and the whelts stayed till the next day.
yea it was pop bennet what dished it out

jdgraham83
09-10-2007, 10:49
i regularly got caned at school. Well on the field to be exact with a nice bag of skunk

tara
09-10-2007, 11:08
I remember the slipper being used every day by Mr White at Hartley Brook Juniors.

My mum went to this school in 40s and told me that six rulers on the knuckles were often used then. Apparently A teacher use to watch on a salad day and make sure everyone ate the lettuce at lunch time and sometimes it had bugs in it, they use to sneak the lettuce in to a hankerchief when she wasnt looking but god help the person who got caught.

okismoki
18-10-2007, 22:09
I was caned in front of the whole school at assembly, amongst several others, for ditching our homework. Discrimination crept in even in those years (middle 50's) as the girl offenders were given a verbal warning. The school was Owler Lane and the "Caner" was Albert Lupton, an ex Royal Marine PTI. Any forumers remember him??
lupto...didn,t he go to southey from there???

okismoki
18-10-2007, 22:14
mr pearson...he was there when i was,72 i started,only ever saw him slipper 1 lad, ian driver,loved it cos he was a bully,found it hard not to laugh as he cried his eyes out.

okismoki
18-10-2007, 22:17
i remember craig hepworth and me getting caned for spitting out of a classroom window on susan orr and her mate,chaucer,72. peg leg wraggy caned us in the corridor in front of everyone,susan orr came looking for me at break crying and apologising

okismoki
18-10-2007, 22:18
lupton...didn,t he go to southey from there???

coyleys
20-10-2007, 00:32

Every week without fail.
But I did go to the Wybourn

okismoki
20-10-2007, 13:25
A Catholic school into brutalising children?!
Unthinkable!

why do you think catholic boys have high voices???

kenfozzy
20-10-2007, 20:42
Carfield Sec. Mod. There was only one teacher who caned me, he was the deputy head. Mr Roach was his name. Thank goodness I was put into the annexe at Annes Rd school.

jewls29
15-07-2009, 21:40
The sad thing is now kids get caned everyday at school, but not the wooden stick kind.

If punishments like this were still allowed then there might be a bit more discipline installed into the youth of today, and maybe gun/knife crime would not be as high as it is.

Because seriously did being caned turn us all into the monsters that we have on our streets today???? i think not

the cane was wrapped in sellotape yes it hurt size 10 slipper yes it hurt chalk board rubber too so did the ruler on bare legs wish my kids could have had some

jewls29
15-07-2009, 21:49
did craig live on crowder

chrishall
15-07-2009, 23:15
At our school we all got the cat 'o' nine tails every day just for being well behaved, 100 lashes in the playground, and then salt was rubbed into the wounds. We loved every minute of it!

echo beach
15-07-2009, 23:23
In the first lesson, on the first day at secondary school (Frecheville) another lad and I were caned for misbehaving. Our misdemeanour was "fencing" with rulers. The teacher was Mr Lancaster and we were no doubt the example of what would happen if you stepped out of line. If it hadn't been us then someone else would've copped it!
It was a very democratic regime, however, because one teacher (Mr Sharp, I think) let you choose between a fat, short cane or a long thin one. At that point all your physics revision came to mind - force, acceleration, area, pressure etc.
From that point onwards I can only remember being caned once more and that was a case of innocently being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The school was "ruled by the rod " with each member of staff having his or her own method of imposing discipline. I once even saw a teacher throw a pitch fork at a pupil during a gardening lesson. (That was one of the more academic subjects covered!) It landed at his feet and vibrated like a spear in a scene from Zulu. Don't know they're born nowadays , do they?

Vague_Boy
15-07-2009, 23:32
I got slapped on the leg at Herdings Infants School by Mrs Crump (early 70s). Can't remember what I did to deserve it but it was the closest I ever came to being caned/slippered.

Hetty
16-07-2009, 08:56
Miss Hornsey of Greystones Sec Mod caned me for forgetting the book White Fang by Jack London. The title is imprinted on my mind 50 years later!!!

hillsbro
16-07-2009, 10:34
Got two strokes on my backside from a sadistic history teacher at King Ted's in 1963. They were hardly deserved but it was worth it for the fame - even though he was a bullying old so-and-so.

goldenbabe1966
16-07-2009, 14:06
I got slapped on the leg at Herdings Infants School by Mrs Crump (early 70s). Can't remember what I did to deserve it but it was the closest I ever came to being caned/slippered.

I got slapped on the back of the legs too(brunswick junior) All i did was step out of line :o It was Mrs Metcalf, never forget it .

zepstox
16-07-2009, 19:48
Four of us got the whack from Oggy Gennett in Division Room 1 at Ecclesfield comp. It was on the backside and wasn't a big issue. The Geography teacher was gloating when I entered my class, he couldn't wait to say "sit down lad". We had got lippy with an old bat who accused us of chucking crisps bags on her lawn.
Later a sign went up on the door of Division Room 1 which read "Adolf Hitler is alive and well and lives in Division Room 1".
A few months later I got it again on the palms of my hands for sod all. That hurt. Years later I bumped into Gennett at Hillsboro', he was chairman of English Schools FA and he said "Hello" and I'm afraid to say I told him to something off.

Lostrider
16-07-2009, 20:41
I got slippered by Mrs Dodsworth at Rainbow Forge, with a size 10 plimpsole at age 9 for god knows what. A caning at Carter Lodge for Smoking. Another for using the blackboard as a dart board. I think it was the fact that we used the big blackboard compass as the dart, it was at least three feet long when unfolded.

But the punishments at school pale into insignificance compared to the ones I got off me mam!! :hihi:

buck
16-07-2009, 22:22
When I was at school in the 30s, you got caned for nothing. However many a male bully of a teacher got black eyes from irate steel working fathers. I loved that, cos in the end the teacher daren't touch me. " just wait till me Dad sees what you did "

Roderick
17-07-2009, 01:26
I seem to remember being caned on a daily basis - going to school in the
1950's and very early 60's ( left school in 1961 ) it wasn't uncommon. Whilst it did me no harm it didn't do me much good either.

barton123
17-07-2009, 18:16
got caned nearly every day at school i was one of the bad ones n by ek it did hurt but still kept going bac 4 more

Smack Jack
17-07-2009, 18:26
I was also caned every day........

barton123
17-07-2009, 18:30
wat school did u go 2

Minimo
17-07-2009, 21:22
I am going to be odd one out here I think. I was at school from 1952 to 1963 and I never saw anyone beaten with a cane or anything else.
I went to Cecil Rd (St Barnabas) junior school, then Grange Grammar in Sheffield and Lady Manners in Bakewell.
Lady Manners would be the one most likely to use the cane but as far as I am aware it never was.

Urien
18-07-2009, 11:12
Our woodwork teacher used to cane us with a length of ½" dowelling :gag: Nasty b*****d he was.

Kidorry
18-07-2009, 12:52
I got caned on a regular basis at Burngreave.So did most of us that were active.If you know what I mean.:hihi:

broncolives
18-07-2009, 13:24
I got the cane a few times the first was in my first week at senior school two strokes for coat in wrong place in the cloakroom. (I think the head had problems with my family from years previous so I got what they missed).
The last was for playing darts into a door with wood chisels, fair cop I did nearly get the teacher in the head. happy days I think!!!!

depoix
18-07-2009, 14:34
any one who went to woodthorpe school in the early 1960's will remember Mr Sallis,a very small man that liked to strut around as if he was seven feet tall,he was an out an out bully, whereas MrCartright who was an ex army boxer was a great bloke,MrCliff the science teacher was another bully who got his come uppance in 1965 when our year finally left school

Janner
18-07-2009, 18:16
At Firth Park Grammar in 1944, six across the backside, can't remember what for.

donnygirl
18-07-2009, 20:47
At Woodbourne Road Juniors in 1967/68 I got the table tennis bat on the palm of my left hand 6 times in the privacy of the headmaster's office for being caught sneaking down the teacher's stairs passed their staffroom. Girls got the table tennis bat and boys got the slipper.

fitbird
18-07-2009, 20:51
For the girls at Waltheof Comprehensiveit was the ruler on the hand.

Whatif wewin
18-07-2009, 21:26
I had the cane a few times.
In french lessons at sec mod (yes a catholic school) one teacher would cane practically the whole class, this was supposedly for not recalling last weeks learning, I now realise it was just to fill his time and save him planning a real learning experience.

Once at junior school, an old second world war army hut affair, the whole school (almost all the boys) were caned in the playground assembly by the head and his deputy. We had to admit who went on the golf course to repel another school who had crossed the links to taunt us as they had been given the day off so their school could be used for voting in some election. They through bricks, sticks and other stuff into our school. Most of the boys ran out to fight them and chase them off. It was like a minor war in those days, ours was a catholic and theirs was a non catholic school.
When we moved to the new school on the other side of the golf links (Netherton near Bootle) my maths teacher was Tom O' Connor he gave my brother the slipper a few times.

simonj
18-07-2009, 21:50
Tapton School '76/77 ish. Receiver of cane by Mr May, Mr Vickers and Mr Pidd. It's going on my epitaph :P

Longy67
19-07-2009, 21:23
Never had the cane before but when i was at school it was always the same kids that got it, all as stupid as f@@k and thought it was 'hard' when they were caned, bet they are still stupid as adults

grinder
19-07-2009, 22:01
Could be true Longy,but can't ever remember looking forward to it.
I can remember it suddenly dawning on me when I was 12 I hadn't been caned that week and being mildly surprised....

Phanerothyme
19-07-2009, 22:02
I spent half my school days caned if that counts.

pitsmoorlad
20-07-2009, 10:27
At King Ted's 3 times. Once from Jackson for reading a "Superman" comic when they'd been banned, once from Sharrock for doing a timetable in his Maths lesson, once from Elvis Vernon for "borrowing" 5 periodic tables from mates instead of copying mine 5 times.
2, 3, 5 strokes respectively all on the bum. ouch

Strangely enough, never got it from Charlie Baker, even though he was our form master and took absolute delight in caning as many boys as possible.

firesmudge
20-07-2009, 10:59
I got caned for been disruptive in class by the head teacher Mr Tingle (great name for a caner) at Ashleigh. I remember reaching over the desk and he lectured and strutted about the office flexing the cane etc.
He took a good few steps back took a run up, I braced thinking this is gonna be sore to receive the most delicate touch, after all the posturing I thought I was done for but a pleasant surprise I could still sit down comforably.
I also got the slipper on another occasion and that did hurt, those rippled soles fair left a mark on ya ass

AilsaC
20-07-2009, 11:12
I once got caned across the hand for answering someone in class when they asked me the time - wow it hurt!!!

mick nat
20-07-2009, 11:39
i was at school wen the cane was banned but if a teacher had try to hit me with a cane they would av got it back

clown
27-07-2009, 20:56
Jossman,
Joe cetainly layed the cane on from a great height, I FELT IT QUITE A FEW TIME IN THE FIVE YEARS I WAS THERE. Even worse was on a very cold day when the heating had failed half a dozen 5th formers doing private study in room 7, lit a bunson burner and sat round the bench heads down writing, when joe spotted us over the painted window. He came in asked who'd lit the bunson and because no one admitted it, all of us got 6 on the backside with his size 12 running shoes. non of sat down for the rest of the day.

ptrA
29-07-2009, 09:36
My friend Len F and I asked for permission to go and see Yorkshire play Australia at The Lane, Permission refused. Of course we went. After recieving 5 on each hand the headmaster said. Now lads sit down and tell me about the best batsmen in the world. We did and no hard feelings. There was no way we were missing out on Len Hutton and Don Bradman. Worth every stroke and yes it hurt. I've referred to this on another thread

Saracen 1000
29-07-2009, 11:39
For the girls at Waltheof Comprehensiveit was the ruler on the hand.Seems like the punishment gave you a grammer impediment

Saracen 1000
29-07-2009, 11:54
Yes those were the days......pre-nanny Britain.
You got the slipper or the cane for wrong doing.......
The heating went off in winter, then you sat with your coats on.
Our English teacher was a dab hand with the board rubber..... now that did hurt when it whacked you around the head...ususally for talking in class.
Can I share with you a story about the late great Brian Glover.
He was one of the PE teachers at Edward Sheerian secondary school in Barnsley.
You fell foul of him or his sidekick Trevor Booth then you were taken around the bike sheds and shown in true Barnsley fashion what misbehaving was all about. Yes you got a damned good hiding.
I recall Brian who had said to him by one Athersley big hitter "Ill fetch me father ta thee sunshine"
Bran retorted "Tha can fetch thee father and all thee uncles"
At four o'clock father and four uncles turned up to sort out Brian Glover.
Approx 10 minutes later an ambulance was called to Edward Sheerian to take away five very bruised and battered relatives of unruly pupil.
What action was taken against Brian Glover.....zilch.......he was however given a good deal of praise from the local police for "sorting out a very bad family"
Stories like this really do make you long for the good old days of English justice.

ptrA
29-07-2009, 14:31
Seems like the punishment gave you a grammer impediment

I think it's "Grammar"

Saracen 1000
29-07-2009, 16:31
Sorry you are so correct it is "grammar"

lagerlil
29-07-2009, 18:40
Igot caned by a teacher at norfolk school in 1973 for cheeking the dinner lady and refusing to go out in the pouring rain. the teacher who did it was my aunties neighbour too.

bullerboY
01-08-2009, 09:55
when Iwas at longley school in the fourties/fifties Miss chappel the head teacher she would cane me and i would scream but she never won I was still a bad lad.The teachers at shirecliffe played the same game,they also lost Mrs Brennan used to slipper me and my mate Terry every day,I think thats how she got her jollies.I once got six of the best from Arther Siddall for taking the new putty out of the windows and sticking it on kids heads,you have never seen as many kids with bald patches,and to top it all he caned me on the stage in front of the whole school,by ,did my street cred go up!!!

Edge
01-08-2009, 10:12
My dad tells some great stories about the antics he and some of the lads he went to school with got upto at Wisewood School. They were always in trouble in one form or another and got caned on a regular basis.

One of the best he told me, was him and four others got 6 of the best in front of the whole school in assembly for pouring ink out of the library window onto a teachers car, what made it worse it had been raining and the whole car went blue.

He made me laugh when he says they allways ran to find something cold to put thier hands in to stop the sting if water wasnt available they used the cold windows.

The teachers name was Haydock, so anyone at wisewood at that time should remember it.

lady_angel
02-08-2009, 10:04
Fortunately I never got caned at school they had outlawed it by then.I do remember tales of Mr Hall from owler lane high school but he had long gone when I was there.

MR BENN
03-08-2009, 01:35
i was caned in school once for talking in class . the teacher marched me down to the heads office for six of the best.

i never ever talked in class again

why the cane was ever taken away is beyond me -it taught kids a good lesson if they misbehaved .

Babooshka
03-08-2009, 06:56
Sounds like child abuse to me! Obviously I am, thankfully, too young to have endured anything like this...but, I did, once, get LOCKED in a store room at the back of the class for an hour...for talking during the maths lesson. Can you imagine, if there had been a fire?

nephewtim
26-08-2009, 11:26
The cane should definitely be brought back - it may not work for all, but will deter many, as well as being a short, sharp shock for those that do get it - and it isnt cruel, and doesnt last too long physically.
Also, Let parents punish their own children as they wish behind closed doors (spank) - it is neither anybody elses business or governments job to interefere.

daftlad
26-08-2009, 12:04
I got slippered for throwing a snowball at someone not expecting it, as they were facing the other way. Didn't think it hurt very much, I was expecting a much heftier wack. That was at Firth Park school about 1975

mikep57
26-08-2009, 16:28
In the 40's at Greystones Inter. we had some odd puddings at lunch. One was prunes followed by horrid pink semolina. After the prunes while waiting for the semolina we were hitting the prunestones wth the spoon which shot across to whoever was sat opposite. We were dragged out by the head, Rough Reeman & given 6 of the best. On returning to our seats the lad opposite who was very small & thin went white as a sheet & fainted face down into his semolina. Rough Reeman then clouted me around the head as though it was my fault! We also had a pop eyed maths teacher with bottle bottom glasses who caned a lad so hard he couldnt stop crying. He took him outside, gave him half a crown & sent him home. Happy days.

sycamore66j
26-08-2009, 21:49
i was caned in school once for talking in class . the teacher marched me down to the heads office for six of the best.

i never ever talked in class again

why the cane was ever taken away is beyond me -it taught kids a good lesson if they misbehaved .

i must agree with the above coment. i was caned a few times at school but i was never caned twice for the same thing.

peter5922
28-08-2009, 14:17
At Marlcliffe in the mid 50's,Pop Reylolds used to cane the boys.The other teachers had various methods of punishment.Ron Harrington[woodwork] had a large slipper,others had half metre rulers.It did me no harm.Bring it back

Linnet
28-08-2009, 16:49
Yes I got caned by Mr Beeson at Woodhouse West Junior for rolling the pencil he was giving out on the first day of term down the desk!! and Mr Thorpe bless him had a worrying gaite of spanking girls over his knee!!! Would we have questioned it then? You daren't tell your parents for fear of another wallop!

nephewtim
06-09-2009, 09:23
pm me to discuss this.

shelby46
06-09-2009, 10:13
At All Saints Juniors kids often got the ruler across the back of the knees by Miss Sails. I got it for messy writing, and being left handed!! She said that being left handed made my writing messy and tried forcing me to use my other hand - til my mum paid her a visit. (the second in 2 weeks as it happens)
I also had chalk and the blackboard rubber thrown at the back of my head. They hit the back of my head because I was turning round talking to my mate behind me. Serves me right on those occasions. You could even get a clip from the local policeman in those days.
Even then, I do believe punishment should be harsher in schools. It didn't really do us any harm, and we have more respect for people and property than a lot of youths today. If parents won't correct their children, and schools are unable to, how will they ever learn that some behaviour is unacceptable?

JB-Property
06-09-2009, 15:12
I didn't get the cane being as I was a good boy (or never got caught, can't remember which now) but our lass talks about a maths teacher who used to throw the board rubber in her direction a fair bit. She doesn't grumble too much about it as she passed her maths o level after a year in his class having been told by another teacher she would be lucky to pass a CSE.

scallyboy
07-09-2009, 17:29
our p e teacher gave me the black jack, a long peice of thick rubber across both hands and it bloody hurt,deserved it though ,chucked a stone at my mate and cut his head open,silly boy.

phillbonnell
09-09-2009, 15:02
we had a competition at school to see who could get the stick most
thats how much it botherd us our form teacher was charlie cooper
any body remember him any spelling mistakes blame him

okismoki
14-09-2009, 21:30

old man lupton.......he was also head at southey green,twice i believe,yeh,i remember him,looked a bit like bruce forsyth before brucie had his hair weave.

okismoki
14-09-2009, 21:32
At Marlcliffe in the mid 50's,Pop Reylolds used to cane the boys.The other teachers had various methods of punishment.Ron Harrington[woodwork] had a large slipper,others had half metre rulers.It did me no harm.Bring it back

harrigton came to chaucer,he was so paranoid about being poisoned,he wouldn,t drink tea in the staff room,but would bring a flask.

okismoki
14-09-2009, 21:38
did craig live on crowder

yes,crowder avenue.

Steptoad
14-09-2009, 21:45
Myself and two mates got three strokes each of the cane across our backsides whilst we were pupils at Hunters Bar.

Our crime? We'd walk a female classmate home right up to her door and her parents objected to us being on their property.

swblandy
15-09-2009, 08:04
I remember one time at Jordanthorpe when everyone in the dinner queue, me included , was caned because there was more than ten people in the queue. About 30 of us got caned, but not the first ten. Happy days.

GREENGINGER
15-09-2009, 21:32

I got the ruler, cane, or worse teacher,s hand,on your arm,for talking in class
& even laughing, you were scared of your teacher in those day,s kid,s dont
know thier, born today.

soft ayperth
15-09-2009, 23:57
Yes I got caned by Mr Beeson at Woodhouse West Junior for rolling the pencil he was giving out on the first day of term down the desk!! and Mr Thorpe bless him had a worrying gaite of spanking girls over his knee!!! Would we have questioned it then? You daren't tell your parents for fear of another wallop!

Don't remember Mr Thorpe doing that, Linnet, but I'm sure I would have if I had been a girl. I only remember him as a very mild, friendly guy. But in those days, corporal punishment was the norm. Still, spanking girls over his knee?? Strikes me as being off limits even bk then.

wackyjaki
28-02-2010, 19:15
I played truant with the kid next door I think one of the snotty 'teachers pet' happened to say" They live next door to each other".
This was at Colley School 1950/1, we spent the day in Grenner Woods
Mr Birch had us in his office with Mr Shaw in attendance and gave us 6 of the best on the palm.
When I was questioned I said i did not know the neighbour was also off school, to which Mr Birch looked at Mr Shaw and said "Have you ever seen pigs fly?".All this without even checking with the parents to see if it was a genuine absence.
I have no complaints

i got caned at olley for wagging it by mr birch i hated him

beasley
28-02-2010, 19:38
I have only been punished by teachers on three occasions
First time in the infants at Pye Bank School,maybe 6 or 7 yr old, a ruler accross my hands,(thankyou Mrs Hancock).
Second time in my first year at Chaucer School about 1968, a slipper across my backside,(thanks to PE teacher Mr Pearson),
and in the same year the good old cane, one stroke only on each hand,(thankyou Mr.Plant head teacher) I seem to recall that a Matthew Holmes and Robert England got the cane with me that day.
For kids today who wonder what its like to get the cane, watch the expression of hurt on the face of the kid Billy Casper in the film Kes.

yeah i remember copping it off mr pearson and also the cane off mr fleming sure he was a sadist

chalcedony
28-02-2010, 20:06
I went to a private school in South Africa as a child...at 7 yrs old we had our hands slapped with a ruler

chalcedony
28-02-2010, 20:07
I went to a private school in South Africa as a child...at 7 yrs old we had our hands slapped with a ruler

This was in the 80s

mistyraven
28-02-2010, 20:15
:mad: I was always getting cane used to have to stand in a line and wait for it that was at chaucer I once fell asleep when the head was taking class I got six whacks :gag:

Linnet
01-03-2010, 14:11
Don't remember Mr Thorpe doing that, Linnet, but I'm sure I would have if I had been a girl. I only remember him as a very mild, friendly guy. But in those days, corporal punishment was the norm. Still, spanking girls over his knee?? Strikes me as being off limits even bk then.

Well sorry Rog but I am not blessed with an over imaginative memory believe me. As a teacher he was one of the best, we're talking 1950's here things were v different then as far as schooling was concerned. Probably at the time didn't think anything of it it is only as things have become more pc these days, can imagine these days what the outcry would be.

Morts
02-03-2010, 17:44
I got caned at King Teds when I was 13-three on the backside which was heavily padded with about six pairs of shorts.
The reason-I changed a radio programme from a German lesson that was being recorded by JET, the most useless teacher ever. I could have got away with it but I told my best mate what I had done and as a detention for the whole form after school was threatened I had to own up.
Lessons learned? Keep your gob shut if you do anything likely to bounce back at you! I was also vice form captain and I learned my lesson at that age of the need to set an example and be a role model. So John Terry has no sympathy from me.

Linnet
02-03-2010, 18:30
Thanks for that Morts - made me laugh as I got castigated for saying I had been spanked - what year was this?

Morts
02-03-2010, 19:03
A sound thrashing was received about1966/67!

Linnet
02-03-2010, 19:09
My God that was late - you poor old thing!

davebrmm
15-05-2010, 11:39
us lads got caned so often at burton st it didnt bother us what we hated was lines which had to be done at home in your own hand writing a pt teacher called hempstock who all the lads liked didnt like me at all and i spent nearly evry pt lesson outside in th freezing cold or boxing some lad three times bigger than me in pt class the lad dare not hold back on punches or we both got slipperd happy days

flyer
15-05-2010, 14:17
I have to say I was never caned because I was positively perfect in every way

Banksia
16-05-2010, 01:11
Yea, got caned a few times by Mr Vickers for not being able to learn my Geography.. good teacher eh ? We girls got the wooden spoon across our knuckles for being late or any other little misdemeanour that irritated the teachers. Wouldn't say it did me any good at all.

DUFFEMS
16-05-2010, 08:23
I was at Carfield where caning was quite normal.
Mr. Vickers (Dobbin) being one of the best teachers but, was very handy wth the cane. The worst exponent for caning was Mr.Roach who caned for the sheer love of it, no genuine reason for carrying out his sadistic streak.
Sam Davison was a fairer judge for the use of the cane, he only used it as a genuine punishment/deterrent.
Miss. Howard who taught Domestic Science for the girls used one of her wooden spoons as her weapon, handy when you've got a whole drawer full of them!

bluewren
21-05-2010, 03:13
I dont think they canned at Fullwood or Greystones either that or I was a real good kid,maybe they just felt sorry for the homes kids?

I wasn`t caned at Greystones Inter... but received a wack on the back of my head. It was around `56 and the male math teacher, whose name escapes me, had his foot caught in the heating pipe that ran around the room near the floor. We all laughed. He managed to retrieve his foot and continued class. I got the giggles and couldn`t stop. He stopped me alright with a wack. Have never forgotton the incident and wonder if anyone else remembers?

mojoworking
21-05-2010, 03:51
I spent half my school days caned if that counts.

Shouldn't that read 'cained'? ;)

Halibut
21-05-2010, 04:48
Shouldn't that read 'cained'? ;)

No, 'caned' as in off one's t*ts is spelt exactly the same as 'caned' as in thrashed with a cane.

mojoworking
21-05-2010, 05:52
No, 'caned' as in off one's t*ts is spelt exactly the same as 'caned' as in thrashed with a cane.

Not according to this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cained&defid=702879

boyfriday
22-05-2010, 15:45
.. had board rubbers chucked at me :D

Me too, one lamped me on the head, everyone laughed-I looked like a cross between a badger and Don King :cry:

S A C
22-05-2010, 16:35
I wasn`t caned at Greystones Inter... but received a wack on the back of my head. It was around `56 and the male math teacher, whose name escapes me, had his foot caught in the heating pipe that ran around the room near the floor. We all laughed. He managed to retrieve his foot and continued class. I got the giggles and couldn`t stop. He stopped me alright with a wack. Have never forgotton the incident and wonder if anyone else remembers?

Was it Mr.Pemberton?

veolia
24-05-2010, 09:05
still got a lot of fond memories of school if it wasnt fastened down teachers would throw it at you,first ever pupil strike ,blackboard jungle,great times wybourn

yorkiepudd
31-05-2010, 21:12
I got the slipper at Abbeydale Grange for forgetting my PE kit (back in the early 70's). The teacher didn't give me chance to explain I had only started that day (2 weeks later than everyone else).

Now who was that teacher ?????? oh yes! a certain Mr Howard Wilkinson. Now, anyone know where I could locate him to complain!!!

billhaley
03-06-2010, 19:23
The cane and I met often during my later years at what was laughingly referred to as a school. If wielded by the headmaster it was of little consequence as his intake of gin rendered him as weak as a kitten, unfortunately the deputy head was built like a brick outhouse and was, I am sure, descended from the Marquis De Sade, so pain in copious quantitiy was inflicted. This was in the 50's,and I don't think it did me any good or any harm either. The great majority were for smoking, although wearing luminous orange socks also earned me a couple.

buck
03-06-2010, 19:56
I used to get the stick every day because as soon as there was any writing to do with those old steel pens my page would look as if a spider had walked on it.Come here boy,Whack Whack. I hated school.I used to get caned a lot at Tinsley School. Sometimes an angry great steerlworker would bust in and give the male teacher a right dusting,much to the joy of the kids:):)

wednesday1
03-06-2010, 20:09
I got the slipper at Abbeydale Grange for forgetting my PE kit (back in the early 70's). The teacher didn't give me chance to explain I had only started that day (2 weeks later than everyone else).

Now who was that teacher ?????? oh yes! a certain Mr Howard Wilkinson. Now, anyone know where I could locate him to complain!!!

Try the Hillsborough board room!

rossyrooney
03-06-2010, 20:17
"Christian" brothers at De La Salle Pitsmoor were a bunch of sadists.

Not just he cane,some would take off their belt and use that,brought tears to the eyes.

One civvy teacher,McSweeney,had a rigid plastic strap about 12in.x2in.that made your backside sting for the rest of the day.

And they said it was for my own good.

bluewren
03-06-2010, 22:16
Hi Lysander, Yes, I think it was Pemberton.
Can`t bring myself to call him Mr.
Sounds like you witnessed the incident.

zakes
30-08-2010, 05:23
Punishments In School 1959-69.

I was on the receiving end of physical punishments at my schools, I was caned, slippered, hit at back of my head with flat hand and knuckles, pushed in the back, been shaken, and have had my ears twisted and boxed on many occasions but the worst was the psychological games some teachers played. The punishments were for offences like :- Being late, tripping people up, dropping water filled Johnnies onto people from first floor windows, smoking, whistling in corridors, backchat, firing inkpellets, use of peashooter, farting in class, putting drawing pins on chairs, deliberately slamming desk lid, hitting teacher with snowball, hand up girls skirt, eating in class, throwing food at dinner time, tying classroom door handle to cloakroom rack preventing anyone getting out , high falutin pranks and worst of all (and I still feel ashamed now 42 years later) cheering with three others to the announcement in assembly that a disliked teacher had died overnight. I also received detentions and lines as well. Strange as it may seem to you I was a good lad and didn't bully, fight, or thieve at school, I just didn't care much for authority and didn't like to see teachers who were nearly twice as tall as a child and 3 times the weight of a child beating them with a cane, it was like a daily dose of faschism. Most frustrating is when I got punished for something I hadn't done and only received the whack because of my reputation. Caning never stopped me challenging the classroom bullies, namely the teachers. Most of my teachers were nice persons and a sharp word was enough for me to behave. Years later when I became a parent I promised myself never to raise my hand to my offspring and I didn't let myself down. Beating is wrong because it can become a habit and then get out of hand as I noticed at school and at home from my mother! Below is a list of my schools and the sentences I received. (U)= undeserved and (D)= deserved, deserved means I was in the wrong but detention or lines would have sufficed most of the time.

Rainbow Forge Infants School = Zero Punishments

Birley Spa Junior School - 7
Mr Rawlings 2X slipper (D).
Mr Wilson 1X clout at back of head (D)
Mr Williams 3X leg slapping (U), 1X rounders bat (U), psycho terror, scared of him and my most hated teacher!

Carter Lodge Secondary School - 11
Mr Croft 2X cane (D).
Mr Rodgers 1X cane (D).
Mr Kirk 2X slapped legs (U), during P.E and 1X slipper (U) - third most hated teacher.
Mr 'Noddy' Fretwell 2X ruler on knuckles (U) and 3X knuckle on back of head (U).

Birley Secondary Modern School low estimate 24
Mr Matthews 1X plimsoll (D) and 1X table tennis bat (D) (left an interesting pattern).
Mr Knox 1X pulling of sideboards (D) downstairs, along corridor to headmasters office.
Mr Harry Lines - low est:- 20X cane -est. 12 (D), 8(U). Lines hated me for reasons that I won't go into, used psycho terror - my second most hated teacher. I refused to let him break me.

Hurlfield Comprehensive School 7
Mr Battams 1X slipper (D).
Mr Houdmont 3X cane (D).
Mr Turton 3X cane (D). My favourite teacher during my education.

These are the punishments I remember but there was more for sure.

CARE FOR YOUR CHILDREN, THEY ARE YOUR FLESH AND BLOOD!