Disabled people moving into their own place? What help can I get?

Hi people,

I wonder if anyone can help me. Im 21in less than a month and Im thinking about moving out into a council house. The only thing is Im a little worried as I have never lived alone and worried I will find it hard due to my disablility.

Does anyone know what help I can get?

I currently claim Higher Disabled Living Allowence and Higher Incapacity Benefit

Hi people,

I wonder if anyone can help me. Im 21in less than a month and Im thinking about moving out into a council house. The only thing is Im a little worried as I have never lived alone and worried I will find it hard due to my disablility.

I currently claim Higher Disabled Living Allowence and Higher Incapacity Benefit

You will be able to get housing and council tax benefit and possibly a grant to help you set up for what you need, I think it's called a comunity care grant. The council can provide a support worker to help you get settled and find out about any local services that are provided to help you. Other than that you can ask social services to get you some help with whatever it is you need. Without knowing what your disability is I can't tell you any more than that.

Contact the South Yorkshire Housing Association Cluster Project on 2664755 and tell them Rich Allen sent you.

I'm in one of their properties in Netherthorpe, been in since last August and love it.

Can you say a bit about what you would find hard? If you think you will need some support with practical tasks around the home, or stuff like that, you need to contact social services if you're not already getting any help from them. If they assess you as qualifying for help from them, you can have this help as a cash "direct payment", which would mean that you can choose who you pay to support you, what they do, etc. There should be a fair bit of support with managing the direct payment, so don't be put off by that (at least not at this stage). If you are getting either higher rate care or mobility components DLA, the chances are you would qualify for help from social services (but it's not necessarily guaranteed).

For more "hands-off" support, like budgeting, you might be able to get some help through a Supporting People grant. Unfortunately, it's virtually unheard of to get this as a direct payment, the money is normally paid to an organisation which provides the support. Social services should be able to tell you about this, or you could ring the Council's switchboard and ask to be put through the Supporting People team.

Good luck! If you want any more info, give me some more info about your situation, either on the forum or by PM.

Teafan.

Hi people,

Do you mean higher care component, or higher mobility component of DLA? As was said before, what sort of problems are you thinking might happen?

Hi people,

Hi, As well as what has already been mentioned, you should also approach social services if you need any adaptations doing to the property, to enable you to live as independent a life as possible, i.e lowering of work surfaces, shower room instead of a bathroom, improved access like ramps etc. have you been to see the property they are offering you?

No I havent been to property yet. I just wanted to know who I need to call first.

Happyhippy = I get higher car and mobility. Due to my disability I am un able to read below my knees, so require help washing and putting socks on etc

No I havent been to property yet. I just wanted to know who I need to call first.

Happyhippy = I get higher car and mobility. Due to my disability I am un able to read below my knees, so require help washing and putting socks on etc

I think we need to start at the beginning, and then think about any possible adaptations. Have you actually spoken to them about a property yet, and/or have you registered to bid for a property? When you do, stress your specific needs.

You may also be entitled to financial help from the Indpendent Living Fund It's for people who receive DLA etc so they continue to manage their lives at home. But from reading some of the stuff on their website and given what you've written about yourself it's hard to know whether it's an appropriate source of help. Anyhow general information link is: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...ome/DG_4019444

Application form link http://www.ilf.org.uk/making_an_appl...nts/index.html

I would get in touch with social services and they will be ok....well hopefully be able to help with care in the community I have united responce who come out they are great.