Incapacity benefit

If you get incapacity benefit, are you allowed to earn anything at all.

I have a disability, which prevents me from working normal hours

but feel I may be able to do, perhaps a small ammount, to save me going loopy at home all day,

just wondered if it would affect my payments.

I *think* your allowed to earn £20 before its touched :)

You have to declare any work at all, but under 'permitted work' you're allowed to earn £20 before you lose anything (long term) or more for a period of a number of weeks a year.

Give them a call and ask them- they were suprisingly helpful when I asked them.

If you get incapacity benefit, are you allowed to earn anything at all.

I have a disability, which prevents me from working normal hours

but feel I may be able to do, perhaps a small ammount, to save me going loopy at home all day,

just wondered if it would affect my payments.

What they wont know wont harm 'em :hihi:

Its stupid cus if you sell stuff on ebay your meant to declare that too :|

oops never thought about my ebay!

You have to declare any work at all, but under 'permitted work' you're allowed to earn £20 before you lose anything (long term) or more for a period of a number of weeks a year.

Give them a call and ask them- they were suprisingly helpful when I asked them.

Not quite. That's the permitted work lower limit. A lot depends on the length of time you've been ill, whether you're exempt from the Personal Capability Assessment, and other things besides.

edit - didn't notice the 'or more' bit!

To give an accurate answer would require more information. Give an advice centre a buzz, or phone the office which is dealing with your claim.

Am I safe to presume that if you are on Incap you may also be on Housing and Council tax benefit......if so BEWARE......whatever you EARN will have to be declared to the Housing Authority who pays your HB/CTB. If the authority chooses to regard it as income (I believe Sheffield Council would) then they will take 65% of your earnings in Housing Benefit and 20% Council Tax Benefit....which means whatever you earn you will only have 15%. *SEEKS CLARIFICATION PLEASE* :D

It's more than £20, I think it around £84 and/or under 16 hrs.... before your Incapacity Benefit is effected. Though as julado has mentioned if you are any means tested benefits such as housing and council tax then this could be effected.

but what you don't declare , and they find out WILL... you could lose benefit entitlement, by virtue of the fact that you may end up with a custodial sentence.

you've obviously not seen the "no ifs no buts" campaign.

also, it is objectionable that you are supporting (ok, "winking" at it, at least! ) benefit fraud.

I seem to recall a link from SF to a DWP pdf file which clearly stated unpaid work done on a voluntary basis (eg because you're bored out of your head and/or you want to help someone) and DWP deems the work in question should have been paid, then it could also affect benefit payments. Unfortunately I cant find the thread and I couldnt see anything relevant from the link above.

I seem to recall a link from SF to a DWP pdf file which clearly stated unpaid work done on a voluntary basis (eg because you're bored out of your head and/or you want to help someone) and DWP deems the work in question should have been paid, then it could also affect benefit payments. Unfortunately I cant find the thread and I couldnt see anything relevant from the link above.

That's to do with "notional earnings". It's not about 'should have been paid', but 'should reasonably have been paid'.

Selling items relates to a different point of law, and indeed, if someone isn't on an income based benefit, it makes no odds.