Cleaning a photograph

I spilled tea on my precious Michael Jackson photo, the tea got inside the frame and now the photo is all sticky and gross. Can I clean it? If so, what with?

I remeber trying to clean a photo once before with warm soapy water, and scratched the surface off and ruined it. :(

Running water with no abrasive action at all should be fine with photos (assuming that it was a real photo not an inkjet print or whatever) provided that they are dried properly afterwards.

If it was an image printed on normal paper then that wouldn't be suitable because the paper would absorb the water, whereas photo paper doesn't.

Whatever you do, try to maintain the integrity of the layer of photographic emulsion on the surface- once that's damaged then the job is a load more complicated.

Hmmm, I didn't take the photo myself, it was bought off the internet. Would that mean it is an inkjet print? I'm assuming it IS a print. I don't know much about photography :blush:

Without seeing it there's no way of knowing- but you can usually tell photo paper from standard paper because it feels different.

Is there an inconspicuous corner where you can see what happens when you drip water on it? That way you can see whether it runs or the paper absorbs the water.

Have you managed to sort out your photo yet? If not, then I could help.

First of all, don't try to remove the print if its stuck to the glass of your frame!

I work for a photography company and restore old and damaged photos.

If you could scan the image at a high resolution and e-mail it to me, I could fix it by digitally working on it.

I've done a lot of clean up work in the past 5 years including repairing tears; creases; removing people/objects; changing the backround; removing stains and scratches; colour correcting; colour fade correction; airbrushing; and more.

I'd have it printed up again on fuji archive supreme photgraphic paper, to the size you need. This isn't an inkjet print, this is a proper photograph.

Let me know if you're interested.

Anne-Marie

[email protected]

kemuri,

I have a couple of old photographs that belonged to my gran. They were stood on a damp windowsill, and the water has wickced up the backing, and seeped through, sticking the photo to the glass.

What can I do to release them off the glass? or, how do I get a high-res copy of them, through the glass? (I'd want the colours restoring on one of them, too, as it's faded.

Hi Plain Talker,

Just sent you a PM. Hope I can help.

Anne-Marie

If its a Michael Jackson photo,get some young boys in they can rub it down for you after all when this happens Jackson always comes out of it squeaky clean

If its a Michael Jackson photo,get some young boys in they can rub it down for you after all when this happens Jackson always comes out of it squeaky clean

Oh haha, aren't you funny!

Have you managed to sort out your photo yet? If not, then I could help.

First of all, don't try to remove the print if its stuck to the glass of your frame!

I work for a photography company and restore old and damaged photos.

If you could scan the image at a high resolution and e-mail it to me, I could fix it by digitally working on it.

I've done a lot of clean up work in the past 5 years including repairing tears; creases; removing people/objects; changing the backround; removing stains and scratches; colour correcting; colour fade correction; airbrushing; and more.

I'd have it printed up again on fuji archive supreme photgraphic paper, to the size you need. This isn't an inkjet print, this is a proper photograph.

Let me know if you're interested.

Anne-Marie

[email protected]

I have sorted it, thank you!! I just used a spray of water and kitchen roll. I tested the corner first, and it worked fine :) Thanx!