Convert a detached garage into an office

Hi All,

I have been looking at various posts and on the internet as I would like to convert my detached garage into an office and other room (not sure what yet).

However i see costs to do this upto10k, I just cant see how, am I missing something ?

I would do most of the work myself and as I see it I would have to insulate upwards, sidewards and downwards (adding DPL as well).

Sidewards - add second skin of bricks insulate inbetween current outer skin and inner skin. add stud walling and plaster board.

Upwards - add ceiling joists onto new inner skin and insulate and plaster board and plaster.

downwards - add damp proof course (along current garage floor and within new inner brick skin). Raise the floor level by adding wooden joists. insulate, chipboard the floor. add flooring.

Obviously on top of this need to add electricity in there as well and maybe heating (prob run electric heater for ease).

Am I totally missing something, I dont see in a milion years how that could cost 10k ?

Has anyone done this ? or have any builders cmpleted this type of work ????

thanks

i did mine last year - total cost, about £1k.

The costs can quickly add up with any building work, and it's the labour that'll be a big part of the cost. If you're doing it yourself, you'll save that.

One thing, I'm probably mistaken, but converting a freestanding building to a purpose other than what it was erected for might be something you'll want to run past the planning office. If for nothing else than piece of mind that you don't need permission.

hiya mate ive converted about 9 garages to bedrooms for a friend who owns student houses give me a ring on 07838180080 thanks

thanks everyone.

Dan any tips ? did you do it all yourself ?

thanks everyone.

Dan any tips ? did you do it all yourself ?

did all myself except the electrics.

bricked up the old doorway & put french doors in the side wall onto the decking.

DPC'ed the floor and boarded over a layer of polystyrine.

framed out the walls and plaster boarded the walls - didnt plaster the walls, just used lining paper & its fine.

insulated the roof and clad in UPVC (actualy looks really good & is maintenance free!)

added a toilet & wash basin.

ran H&C water pipes along with central heating pipes from the house for the radiator.

loved doing every minute of it.

yeah, owt to get me away from the missis for a few hours - LOL.

get cracking - you'll love it.

thing is, the materials are only cheap so if you make a mistake, its not the end of the world.