View Full Version : Sheffield and Rotherham area Railway Scrapyards in the 1960s

bristolian
20-05-2007, 13:02
Hello,

I am creating on online map showing the whereabouts of the scrapyards that were involved breaking up British Railways steam locomotives.

I would like to know if anybody can provide addresses, OS Grid References, or lat/lon details for the following yards/areas/businesses:-

Slag Reduction - Orgreave Tip
Peter Wood (Barlborough Metals/British Steel/Slag Reduction) - Holmes Scrapyard, The Ickles
Thomas Ward - Weedon Street, Attercliffe
" " " " - Beighton
" " " " - Killamarsh
Rhodes - Saville Street
W & F Smith (Station Steel) - Station Road, Ecclesfield
G Cohen - Sheffield (A bit vague that one!)
Cox & Danks - Wadsley Bridge
Marple & Gillott - Stevenson Road
Walter Heselwood - " " "
Slater Brothers - Beighton
Arnott Young - Parkgate, Rotherham
W. George - Wath-on-Dearne

(phew)

If anyone can help with details, photographs or even reminiscences of working for the companies, I'd be very grateful.

Thankyou.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

alchresearch
20-05-2007, 13:37
I think the Beighton one I used to know has gone now:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.348053&lon=-1.330101&z=19.4&r=0&src=ggl

The old Orgreave sidings and sheds were great. I remember going sometime in the mid to late 80's and playing on the coal trucks on the sidings and then sneaking into the Orgreave site over the bridge shown on the FlashEarth link below and getting into an old shed full of diesels!

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.382541&lon=-1.359382&z=18.5&r=0&src=ggl

bristolian
20-05-2007, 14:07
Thanks for those two links. :)

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

alchresearch
20-05-2007, 18:20
No worries. Hope you managed to find the recent railway yard photos on the site I PMed you.

bristolian
20-05-2007, 18:29
Hello,

I've only had a brief look, MOD Kineton I think it was.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Texas
21-05-2007, 18:09
Hi Bristolian, I worked on the railway for a number of years during the 50's, in the area you are interested in, as a fireman. I went thro' the your list and tried to get the memory going. Obviously there wasn't much breaking up of locos back then, at least not that I knew of. But I remember some of the locations of a couple of scrapyards.
The name Holmes was the location of a signal box on the main Sheffield-Leeds route, almost in Masboro', near Rotherham, at OS415925, sheet111.
There was a 'triangle' there, where the goods line turned South toward Chesterfield, we called it the old road. Just to the East of the grid reference was a sizable scrapyard belonging to, I believe, Tommy Wards.
Attercliffe Yard was at 375891 sheet 111.
If I'd known I was going to have to remember scrapyards of 50years ago, I'd have paid more attention.

bristolian
21-05-2007, 19:36
Hello Texas,

Thankyou very much for your post. I'd love to read more of your firing days!.
Was the scrapyard at Holmes in the triangle or to the UP (East) side of the 'old road', where C. F. Booth's scrapyard is now?
Was the Attercliffe Yard south of the river, to the left of Stevenson Road, immediately above East Coast Road? Breakers Marple and Gillott broke a very few steam locos at their Attercliffe yard, which I presume is that to the left of Stevenson Road. Walter Heselwood also had a yard off of Stevenson Road somewhere.

Many thanks again.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

bristolian
21-05-2007, 19:46
Hello again,

This is the link to the map I'm creating. tinyurl.com/32dv2f

If anybody can provide more information, or corrections, please let me know!

My email address is we1330ATyahoo.co.uk , please remove the 'AT' and replace with '@'.

Many thanks,
Bob.

Texas
22-05-2007, 18:18
Regarding the scrapyard at Holmes, it was on the upside of the old road. I cant really recollect what was actually in the triangle.
Regarding Attercliffe Yard, I think the scrapyard was to the North of the river. You could spit into it from Grimesthorpe Shed. On OS sheet 111, you can see where the railway line went into Attercliffe yard, just at the beginning of the name Brightside. Grimesthorpe loco yard was where the 'B' is. Well, that was the loco repair shops, the actual yard was to the NE of the'B'. Sorry but the names Stevenson Road and East Coast Road dont mean a thing to me.

bristolian
22-05-2007, 19:07
Hello Texas,

Unfortunately, I don't have the OS Map sheet 111, so all I can do is look at Get-A-Map on the OS website, which gives you a small 2km square window to look at. From looking at the online map of mine, http://tinyurl.com/32dv2f, there could well have been a yard on the central 'island' off of Brightside Lane. I have provisionally marked the centre area of the scrapyards with a '50' mark on my map. Stevenson Road runs roughly parallel to the main line running approximately North - South, alongside the siding running southwards from the Junction at Brightside. East Coast Road runs eastwards off of Brightside Lane, roughly at the bottom end of the scrapyards alongside Stevenson Road, and then turns Southwards onto Faraday Road.
The yard to the Up side of the 'old road' does seem to equate to that which is now occupied by C. F. Booth.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

retep
22-05-2007, 19:10
A bit further afield was Steelbreakers at Chesterfield.

bristolian
22-05-2007, 19:19
Hello Retep,

Thankyou. I already have that site, it's number 19 on my map.
If you have any other information, I'd be very grateful.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

fozzybronze
22-05-2007, 19:25
Bristolian

Thought you might like to know that all the Bird's yards were bought out by Simsmetal back in the 90s. They also bought Bush's (Pyebridge)...actually in Somercotes (DE55 4NH)....

www.sims-group.com for more details.

EMR have also snapped up a number of the independent yards, and occupy the largest yard just off Stevenson Road.

I work in te industry, so PM me if you think I can be of some help.

bristolian
22-05-2007, 19:34
Hello,

Weren't Coopers Metals one of the founders of EMR?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

retep
22-05-2007, 19:46
Hello Retep,

Thankyou. I already have that site, it's number 19 on my map.
If you have any other information, I'd be very grateful.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Not a lot to add a mates uncle was a manager there, I can remember the yard floor being covered in copper rivetts, and a shed full of copper plates,
must have got through quite a few engines,
If only we had hindsight for the collectables:(

bristolian
22-05-2007, 19:49
Hello,

Yes, hindsight's a wonderful thing!. Would this person still be around?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

bristolian
22-05-2007, 19:56
I have just found out from fozzybronze (thankyou), that Walter Heselwood's still work from Stevenson Road.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

retep
22-05-2007, 20:15
Hello,

Yes, hindsight's a wonderful thing!. Would this person still be around?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Havn't seen him since the 1980's, it would have been late 60's early 70's
when he was there.

fozzybronze
23-05-2007, 12:35
Hello,

Weren't Coopers Metals one of the founders of EMR?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Yep, together with the Shepperd family

bristolian
23-05-2007, 12:50
Hello fozzybronze,

I tried to pm you yesterday, but your inbox was full!
When you ask your colleagues, could you also ask about the other Ward's yards mentioned in my first post please> (or indeed ANY of the yards in that list!.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

bus man
23-05-2007, 16:59
WEasnt gcox and danks next to wadsley brdige station on the left hand side as you to town . I vaguly remember seeing a steam engine broken up when at tmy grandparents wedding aniversy in the late sixties it was held at the pub on the other side of the road

bristolian
23-05-2007, 17:18
Hello Bus Man,

Would Pushpin '53' on my map http://tinyurl.com/32dv2f be at the right spot? If not, could you pinpoint the correct place for me?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

retep
23-05-2007, 17:37
Hello Bus Man,

Would Pushpin '53' on my map http://tinyurl.com/32dv2f be at the right spot? If not, could you pinpoint the correct place for me?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

As I remember the edge of Cox and DANKS was on a line between,Carwell Lane and Sheffield on your map, where the row of trees are.

bristolian
23-05-2007, 18:11
Hello retep,

Thankyou very much indeed. I have re-positioned that pushpin, how does it appear now? Did Carwell Lane form the station approach road?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

As I remember the edge of Cox and DANKS was on a line between,Carwell Lane and Sheffield on your map, where the row of trees are.

retep
23-05-2007, 20:54
Hello retep,

Thankyou very much indeed. I have re-positioned that pushpin, how does it appear now? Did Carwell Lane form the station approach road?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Stretching the memory here, I think the approach road was the shaded road on your map opposite where it says Halifax Road, led up to a coal yard, C&D to the left, where you have put your arrow would be a tip, and C&D running up towards your previous arrow, offices in the region of the bulding near your arrow, I'm sure someone on here will know it better than me.
It may have a mention in the, anyone from Parson Cross thread.

old advert,
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h182/sretep/cox-danks48.jpg

bristolian
23-05-2007, 21:37
Hello again,

Thanks for the further info. Blimey, yet another scrapper on Stevenson Road...

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Stretching the memory here, I think the approach road was the shaded road on your map opposite where it says Halifax Road, led up to a coal yard, C&D to the left, where you have put your arrow would be a tip, and C&D running up towards your previous arrow, offices in the region of the bulding near your arrow, I'm sure someone on here will know it better than me.
It may have a mention in the, anyone from Parson Cross thread.

old advert,
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h182/sretep/cox-danks48.jpg

elenac
24-05-2007, 15:28
EMR off Stevenson Road were still scrapping loco's until quite recently. They now process redundant rail etc which still goes out by rail. I remember back in the early 60's sitting with my grandad down at the level crossing at Holmes watching the trains go by. There were loco's stored in various sidings waiting for the trip across to Iccles for scrapping. I dont know if CF Booths got into loco scrapping when the end of steam came I think they were diesel only? The line that is used to access their yard used to be the line up to Rotherham Westgate Station. I dont know if anyone has mentioned The Godfrey Edition maps to you, the are old OS maps fromthe turn of the last century and show the railways in great detail, they are available from www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk they are not expensive and are sent out usually by return of post.

bristolian
24-05-2007, 15:38
Hello elenac,

Thankyou for your post, and for the link. I don't know for sure if the maps would be of use in this case, more it's a case of what scrapyard was operated by which concern etc. I have changed the reference for Booths, to that of 'now owned by Booths'. Can anyone confirm if there were locos scrapped at that site in the 60s?. I would also like to know where Peter Wood's Yard at the Ickles was?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

EMR off Stevenson Road were still scrapping loco's until quite recently. They now process redundant rail etc which still goes out by rail. I remember back in the early 60's sitting with my grandad down at the level crossing at Holmes watching the trains go by. There were loco's stored in various sidings waiting for the trip across to Iccles for scrapping. I dont know if CF Booths got into loco scrapping when the end of steam came I think they were diesel only? The line that is used to access their yard used to be the line up to Rotherham Westgate Station. I dont know if anyone has mentioned The Godfrey Edition maps to you, the are old OS maps fromthe turn of the last century and show the railways in great detail, they are available from www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk they are not expensive and are sent out usually by return of post.

elenac
29-05-2007, 21:01
I will check with my dad about the Iccles yard, he grew up in the Holmes area and was forever watching trains as a little lad.

bristolian
29-05-2007, 21:38
I will check with my dad about the Iccles yard, he grew up in the Holmes area and was forever watching trains as a little lad.

Hello elenac,

Thankyou very much for that, that'll be a great help.

I took my first photos of the closed yard at Kettering, Northants on Saturday. This yard will be redeveloped imminently.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

elenac
31-05-2007, 19:06
My dad remembers the yard very well, it was accessed from the Ickles yard on the GC line at the rear of Templeborough steel works. When they used to go and look at the loco's they walked over the crossing at Holmes on the Midland line (Psalter Lane) followed Steel Street round over the canal as far as they could go. There they climbed the banking which gave them a view across to the steel works and railway yards. Once up here you turned left back towards Rotherham and the yard was just over the embankment and before the site of the old Holmes colliery. Unfortunately one map I have is too old, the other stops short of the yard.

bristolian
31-05-2007, 21:03
My dad remembers the yard very well, it was accessed from the Ickles yard on the GC line at the rear of Templeborough steel works. When they used to go and look at the loco's they walked over the crossing at Holmes on the Midland line (Psalter Lane) followed Steel Street round over the canal as far as they could go. There they climbed the banking which gave them a view across to the steel works and railway yards. Once up here you turned left back towards Rotherham and the yard was just over the embankment and before the site of the old Holmes colliery. Unfortunately one map I have is too old, the other stops short of the yard.

Hello elenac,
Do you think that by looking at the online map of mine, your father might be able to help pip-point the yard's location so that I can add a pushpin for it?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

we1330 'AT' yahoo.co.uk

elenac
02-06-2007, 12:03
I've had a look at the map, your pin is currently on the site of the former freighliner depot and before that Masborough Sorting Sidings (Now EWS Rotherham Steel Terminal). If you go into the map to street level you will see to the north of your pin Bessemer Way which ends at a large modern unit. This is roughly the site of the yard and the old Holmes Colliery. The whole area has changed so much as all the land around where the factory is was Iccles yard.

bristolian
02-06-2007, 12:34
I've had a look at the map, your pin is currently on the site of the former freighliner depot and before that Masborough Sorting Sidings (Now EWS Rotherham Steel Terminal). If you go into the map to street level you will see to the north of your pin Bessemer Way which ends at a large modern unit. This is roughly the site of the yard and the old Holmes Colliery. The whole area has changed so much as all the land around where the factory is was Iccles yard.

Hello elenac,

Thankyou very much indeed for your advice.
I have now moved the pushpin to what I hope is a suitable location. :)

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

socrates
26-01-2009, 11:42
I worked in the sidings at Brightside, and the smaller sidings nearby at Attercliffe, between 1978 and 1982. I remember that there were many scrapyards surrounding the sidings. I especially remember Marple and Gillott as I used to label wagons (usually 16 ton coal wagons) to them to go for scrap (replaced by bottom door wagons). I must have labelled many hundreds.

redshadow
26-01-2009, 14:47
In 1983 I was working at Greenland Road / Broughton Lane and often used to walk back to Attercliffe Road to catch the bus. After crossing the canal bridge there was a large scrap yard on the north side of the bridge, and I remember seeing there lots of the old Class 124 Trans Pennine Units awaiting breaking up.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.401147&lon=-1.414327&z=17.6&r=0&src=msa

hillsbro
26-01-2009, 16:44
The T.W. Ward scrapyard at Beighton was well worth a visit in the mid-1960s (grid reference something like SK447836). I remember copping 60118 Archibald Sturrock there in 1965.

bus man
26-01-2009, 17:32
Didnt they also do a hymek ?

hillsbro
26-01-2009, 19:52
Could well be - I know they did some diesels. A bit of googling brought up this photo of a 9F at Beighton http://farm1.static.flickr.com/99/262123465_ccf316ad0f.jpg - a dmu can just be seen at the right.

hillsbro
27-01-2009, 14:10
I've been looking for my 1960s scrapyard notes but they must have been lost when we moved, however if it's of interest here's a photo of Ivatt 2-6-0 No 43159 awaiting its fate at Killamarsh on 19 September 1965: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/43159.jpg The "driver" is my school pal Chris.

PopT
27-01-2009, 21:58
Bristolian

In the late 60's they used to scrap railway stock at the rear of the 700 Group Company on Sheffield Road Tinsley.

Is this of any help? PopT

bristolian
29-01-2009, 08:19
In 1983 I was working at Greenland Road / Broughton Lane and often used to walk back to Attercliffe Road to catch the bus. After crossing the canal bridge there was a large scrap yard on the north side of the bridge, and I remember seeing there lots of the old Class 124 Trans Pennine Units awaiting breaking up.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.401147&lon=-1.414327&z=17.6&r=0&src=msa

Hello,

Which yard would this have been, and is it shown by the white cross on the page linked above?

bristolian
29-01-2009, 08:25
I've been looking for my 1960s scrapyard notes but they must have been lost when we moved, however if it's of interest here's a photo of Ivatt 2-6-0 No 43159 awaiting its fate at Killamarsh on 19 September 1965: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/43159.jpg The "driver" is my school pal Chris.

Thanks for the interesting shot of the flying pig :)

redshadow
29-01-2009, 13:20
Hello,

Which yard would this have been, and is it shown by the white cross on the page linked above?

Yup, it's the one indicated by the white cross.... it's a shopping centre now I think, or offices.

I was rather hoping that someone would supply me with the name as it's completely escaped me now. Might have been Wards.... :help:

PopT
29-01-2009, 14:23
Near the Sheffield side of the 700 Group Company building on Sheffield was a lane that went under the railway.

Near there is a signal box.

The raiway stock was run off the main line onto lines that were at the rear of the 700 Group building.

It looks as if some other forummer has knowledge of it, I only hope his memory is better than mine.

PopT

redshadow
29-01-2009, 15:10
Yup, it's the one indicated by the white cross.... it's a shopping centre now I think, or offices.

I was rather hoping that someone would supply me with the name as it's completely escaped me now. Might have been Wards.... :help:

Hey, it was Wards. Just found a photo from 1976 in Stephen Battys' book "Rail Centres : Sheffield".

Caption reads "A Tinsley Landscape. Class 47 no 47 368 passes the works of T.W. Wards & Son near Broughton Lane with a ballast train in October 1976". In the foreground of Les Nixons' phto is the canal lock seen at http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.403684&lon=-1.411537&z=17.6&r=0&src=msa

ronaldaroo
23-03-2010, 18:24
Sorry if this might be OT but on a similar theme

The Bynea and Llwynhendy Local History Society (in Carmarthenshire) is producing a book of local historical photographs and I am researching into Birds (Swansea) Ltd who had a depot in Bynea which was used for scrapping steam locomotives in the 1960s Do you - or could you put me in touch with any other source which would - have any information/photos/reminiscences/documents etc which would be relevant in my research?
Thanking you in anticipation for your help.
Ronald John Saunders

bristolian
23-03-2010, 18:56
Sorry if this might be OT but on a similar theme

The Bynea and Llwynhendy Local History Society (in Carmarthenshire) is producing a book of local historical photographs and I am researching into Birds (Swansea) Ltd who had a depot in Bynea which was used for scrapping steam locomotives in the 1960s Do you - or could you put me in touch with any other source which would - have any information/photos/reminiscences/documents etc which would be relevant in my research?
Thanking you in anticipation for your help.
Ronald John Saunders

Hello Ronald,

Unfortunately, I'm unable to help - I'm seeking information parallel to your own enquiry :).
If you do get anything, please do let us know!.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

RogerHodsoll
10-12-2011, 18:01
Hi Bristolian

Are you still looking for info on the scrap yards in Wath as my Uncle was business partner of William George, of William George (Wath) Ltd, my unckle was known as Henry Hodsoll, I may be able to find out more or put you in touch with other members of our family

regards Roger

bristolian
11-12-2011, 10:07
Hi Bristolian

Are you still looking for info on the scrap yards in Wath as my Uncle was business partner of William George, of William George (Wath) Ltd, my unckle was known as Henry Hodsoll, I may be able to find out more or put you in touch with other members of our family

regards Roger

Hello Roger,

Thanks for your message - yes, I'd still like to try and find out as much as I can :).

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Cookingfat
11-12-2011, 12:08
there was or is a breakers yard on barrow rd you can see some old locos from the road