View Full Version : The Company Shop - Tankersley

Pages : [1] 2

LouPee
15-05-2007, 12:15
Does anyone know how i go about getting a card for the above?

Classic Rock
15-05-2007, 12:38
What is it?

whisper
15-05-2007, 12:39
You have to work at a certain place to be able to get a card,I'm not sure if it's within the nhs service.you need to take some id and a wage slip with you to the store.

BoroughGal
15-05-2007, 12:41
It's called Marrans - I think it's much the same as getting in with Makro - you have to take some sort of proof of where you work - a letter on headed paper from the boss should do it, but give 'em a ring first to confirm?

.Gareth>
15-05-2007, 12:41
we went a while back...OH had a card because he worked for Northern Foods.
Im not sure if you can just go in and ask for one or if you have to work for one of the food companies tho..:confused:
i know thats not much help..lol..:hihi:

sarah xx

BoroughGal
15-05-2007, 12:42
What is it?

It's a dead cheap seconds food place - they sell a lot of Marks & Spencer ready meals, Cadburys chocolate, canned stuff. It's very, very cheap.

Lindos
15-05-2007, 12:44
I know that all NHS can apply as well as anyone in the food industry. I dont know if there are any others.

Classic Rock
15-05-2007, 12:49
Why's it cheap? Is it out of date?

BoroughGal
15-05-2007, 12:54
Why's it cheap? Is it out of date?

I don't think the fresh stuff is, although it obviously is nearer to it's sell by date. Some of the tinned stuff is out of date, but the manufacturers put an extension on the date sometimes.

whisper
15-05-2007, 12:54
It's called Marrans - I think it's much the same as getting in with Makro - you have to take some sort of proof of where you work - a letter on headed paper from the boss should do it, but give 'em a ring first to confirm?

It used to be marrans,it's now the company shop..I go there every couple of weeks,sometimes there are great bargains sometimes it's rubbish.

you could try ringing them to see if you qualify for a card,

Company Shop Ltd
New Rd, Tankersley, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S75 3BQ
Tel: 01226 748324

Missdan
15-05-2007, 16:59
My husband got a temporary card issued through work. We went up but then had to produce a wage slip and some form of ID in order to get in. I think it was better when it was Marrens years ago, but when we went after registering this time I was very dissapointed.

craftyone
15-05-2007, 17:12
if you work for the police you can have a card i work for the local council so i can have one .

mel77
15-05-2007, 17:40
It's for NHs employee's. I go from time to time. It's supermarket foods that have near sell by dates etc Marks, Waitrose, Asda, Tesco.

It has some really good bargains and each time you go there are different things.

Ring them and ask them if you are eligible. You have to take proof of adress and a utility bill.

xx

Unregistered
15-05-2007, 19:47
I go from time to time. It's supermarket foods that have near sell by dates etc Marks, Waitrose, Asda, Tesco.

That's correct. We deliver it there - by the truck load.

Anything out of date goes to the pig farm - by the truck load.

nicobower
18-05-2007, 13:52
I work there, you have to work for certain companies, mainly foods. You can work for NHS, Police, and lots of other things. No Stuff is out of date, if it is we have to skip it. Sundays we have in fresh fruit & veg and most days we have fresh bread, with same dates as the in shops, if it is the days date it will be discounted as 10p normally but we never sell out of date stock

BoroughGal
18-05-2007, 13:54
I work there, you have to work for certain companies, mainly foods. You can work for NHS, Police, and lots of other things. No Stuff is out of date, if it is we have to skip it. Sundays we have in fresh fruit & veg and most days we have fresh bread, with same dates as the in shops, if it is the days date it will be discounted as 10p normally but we never sell out of date stock

Do you not still sometimes sell out of date (but extended by manufacturer) tinned stuff? It doesn't bother me, things last for years in tins :P but I remember a long time ago, tins of out of date spaghetti for about 2p each.... I must be talking over 10 yrs ago though... :D

nicobower
18-05-2007, 13:57
WE always sell in date things, all of our tins is well in date anyway, only things that are close to dates is like meat and bread, they fly out anyway so that isnt a problem, most sweets and that and baby food is until nov '08.

baby barrie
18-05-2007, 22:50
the cards to get into this place.are like gold dust:D

nicobower
18-05-2007, 22:52
arent if you work at the places which allow them cards lmfao

Darbees
18-05-2007, 22:58
I used to deal with a company like this in Bradford. Manufacturers often make too much stock for their big customers such as supermarkets because they are frightened of letting them down and getting penalised or losing their contract. If the stuff is still in date they flog it wholesale to get their costs back. The one I dealt with used to sell all sorts of stuff esp M & S for fraction of price and even sold packaged airline meals.

coopster1974
19-05-2007, 00:33
If anybody's interested I'll lend them mine for a fiver.

H.P
19-05-2007, 06:06
My dad has a card, he is an ex-fireman. we used to get really cheap formula milk and babyfood in there. you can save a fortune by shopping there. the other half keeps meaning to go and get a card he works for the N.H.S .

bus man
19-05-2007, 06:58
If you can get a card its good. Its a food disposal outlet the items are reduced as they are surplus to requirements from either the manufactor or retailer. some will be rejects ie yogurs where the top is not on right the company log is in the middle of the pot. Or the yogurs is over the prescribed wieght . Very little of the items are out of date if they are they are clearly marked its a good place but you can only buy what is in ie one week they may have lots of pizas next week they wont have any if you can get a card then go for it .

bus man
19-05-2007, 07:00
Nother example bread 35p unless it expires on that day then its 10p

baby barrie
20-05-2007, 08:56
Company shop also have on a very regular supply, Crawshaws meat. Very good butchers!
At a fraction of the normal cost.
As for out of date stuff. Sometimes they have a trolley as you leave the tills, where the food is free!!
This only applies to tinned and jarred things.
Sure deoderants are only 29p for a fullsize aerosol.
Bargains galore!!
I have saved literally 1000's of pounds!!
Can't get better than that can it?!:hihi:

rainbow_maid
08-01-2008, 16:03
does anybody know the opening times? cheers

bus man
08-01-2008, 17:28
Have a look onyour pass card its on there

Dozy
08-01-2008, 17:41
I have a friend who has a card and she takens me sometimes. You can get some terrific bargains, but you never know what's going to be in stock. Last time I went I got some Waitrose microwavable fresh salmon portions for half price - ma-in-law loves it and it freezes, so I stocked up.

I also succumbed to some of that lovely M & S extra thick double cream for 10p a pot! Some for me and some for the neighbours - yum, yum.

Eater Sundae
08-01-2008, 21:03
When our daughter was starting to eat solids, I used to make vegetable purees, until I discovered the Company Shop. It was a bit pot luck as to what what available on any visit, but they regularly had large jars of Heinz Organic Baby food, at 10p each. I used to buy them by the trayful - they was still typically 6 months of sell by date left, so no problems there.

MonkeyLover
08-01-2008, 21:41
I went with a friend once and bought a 4-litre tub of black cherry flavoured yogurt ice cream. Can't remember the price, but I know it was very very cheap, and it was one of the most gorgeous ice creams I have ever had, Luuuvvvveeeerrrrrrlllllyyyyy!

expitlad
09-01-2008, 10:20
....It's a bit pot luck what they have in sometimes, but what they stock is good value for money.
Consider the price of getting there and back, as it's a bit out of the way.
You might want to try :confused: (Forget the name of the place, it's next to Matalan on Parkway). Prices are really good in there.

vix2000
21-01-2008, 17:56
home bargains - but theres no comparison

allyg
21-01-2008, 19:13
You can definately get a card if you're in any of the emergency services, my hubby's got one. We've saved a fortune on heinz baby food, its 10p a tin and well in date!

baby barrie
21-01-2008, 19:31
Went there just after christmas got a load of fresh asda pork steaks and lean stewing steak and premium sausages the Freezers full now :hihi:

LoobyLoo9
29-02-2008, 09:52
Can you get one if you work for a supermarket?

satman2222
29-02-2008, 12:42
I think the only qualification is that you are breathing............. :hihi:

bigthanks
29-02-2008, 14:04
I have a card to get in tot he company shop. It is great especially on tuesdays and fridays (delivery days). I have had some really good bargains from their, a bag of 15 rolo eggs (best before april 08) for 1 pound, a box of smarties (24) for 2.50, large joints of beef for 3 pounds..... The waitrose and Marks and spencers food is at such bargain price, even if it is close to the best before date, most of the stuff is freezable.
You have to work in the public sector (I think :hihi:). I hope you manage to get a card I would be lost without mine.

wreck
29-02-2008, 15:16
my husband works for royal mail and got a card all we had to do was take along a couple of his wage slips and a recent utility bill and that was it. What a great place it is!!

Jessy277
03-04-2008, 15:57
I went to join today but they have changed their regerstering process. Now you have to go through your emplyers HR, my employer (NHS) said they won't be doing this as they have enough of their own work to do and have not heard from the company shop. The company said I need to do it by post, so anyone else wanting to join I suggest calling (01226 748324) before you go for information :confused:

CakeTime
03-04-2008, 16:22
You can get one if you work for HSBC as well - don't know why!

bus man
03-04-2008, 17:33
......my employer (NHS) said they won't be doing this as they have enough of their own work to do ........

Must be reasuring to know that you wrk for such a careing employer.

Doesnt give much hope for the patients if they donct even care enough to write a letter fro their own workers does it

sugarcandie
04-04-2008, 02:29
does anyone know if you can get a card if you work for sheffield city council.... i sooooo wanna try this shop out??

thanks

abbie
04-04-2008, 08:01
we are members of a voluntary run community centre owned by Sheffield Homes would we be able to get a card we have one for makro

stressed_mum
04-04-2008, 08:40
To Qualify for Company Shop you need to work in: Nhs, Emergency services (any part of), BT (contract not agency), food production companies (Fletchers etc) if you work in catering too I beleive (don't quote me on that one).

Jessy, all you need to do is take with you 3 wage slips, Your ID, Proof of address ie utility bill.

SCC I don't think you can get cards but ask anyway.

Jessy277
04-04-2008, 13:06
Jessy, all you need to do is take with you 3 wage slips, Your ID, Proof of address ie utility bill.

SCC I don't think you can get cards but ask anyway.

I went with those yesterday and as of this week they have told me proceedures have changed and that I have to do it by post!

Jessy277
04-04-2008, 13:08
Must be reasuring to know that you wrk for such a careing employer.

Doesnt give much hope for the patients if they donct even care enough to write a letter fro their own workers does it

I understand though that they have enough to do, they don't have the extra man hours to cover this role however though, I can't see that number being high!

stressed_mum
05-04-2008, 08:08
oh sorry hunni, dunno when they changed. one of my mates only went down about 4 months ago to join.

Jessy277
06-04-2008, 15:00
The beginning of last week! Sods law, I had been meaning to go for a few weeks and if i'd gone a few week ago I'd have been able to get a card there n then :roll:

spritulist
06-04-2008, 15:19
the company shop was called marrons i think its still called that now..not been for ages

stressed_mum
06-04-2008, 16:01
I went with those yesterday and as of this week they have told me proceedures have changed and that I have to do it by post!

Just to clarify, I've JUST got back from Company shop & while I was down there I checked to find out the rules & regs etc.

They WERE changing the rules on applying for a card to having to do it by post, but after some employers have said that it would be a problem for them to apply for the cards on employee's behalf, they have now changed the rules back again. This means you CAN now apply yourself, you will need to take:
3 Wage slips
Your ID pass & 1 other form of photograph ID
A recent Utlilty bill with your name & address on it

To qualify for a pass you need to work for:
BT
Police
Fire Service
NHS
or food manufacturer who supplies to company shop of is supplied by company shop (I know fletchers is one of these)

If you are not sure you can call them on 01226 748324.

Jessy277
09-04-2008, 19:37
Thanks so much for taking the time to ask whilst you were there, I'll get there one day next week :)

smileyjiver
09-04-2008, 20:13
You can get one if you work for HSBC as well - don't know why!

When I worked at HSBC at Tankersley I had a card. I wasn't quiite sure why we were able to get one either but it did save quite a bit of money, esp at Xmas time.

Andy
09-04-2008, 21:13
yogurs where the top is not on right the company log is in the middle of the pot.

I would not be happy if I got a log in my yoghurt, no matter how cheap it was :gag:

stressed_mum
09-04-2008, 22:25
some will be rejects ie yogurs where the top is not on right the company log is in the middle of the pot. Or the yogurs is over the prescribed wieght .

What bus man meant to say I think is that the company logo is in the middle of the pot, they do try to hunt out the ones where the tops aren't on properly though, but you can't somplain when a muller corner only costs you 20p (or as I got the other day 12 crunch corners for 1!!!!!)

Yes they are very scatty as to what they've got & when BUT they've always got minced beef, chicken, gammon by the shed load, bacon, baby food (heinz @ 10p per jar!!!!!!!) etc i always go to company shop to see what i can get there before going to morrisons or asda on the way home.

I did a nearly a full weeks shopping on 42 this week, there's 3 of us + I got a leg of lamb that was beautiful!!!!

At the end of the day, it's all surplus stock or seconds, but for the prices you can't go wrong plus the staff are always really friendly & helpful.

s.k.w1989
22-04-2008, 18:36
Can you apply for a card if you work at the ASDA???

stressed_mum
22-04-2008, 18:38
don't think so, but they've stopped giving BT staff cards now, your best bet is to call them, their number is further up the thread

kimba
25-10-2008, 17:52
does anyone know if its open on sundays please thanks :D

mollysmaid
25-10-2008, 17:59
Does anyone know how i go about getting a card for the above?

you need to work 4 health service take along prove i.e wage slip utility bill and photo idea

mollysmaid
25-10-2008, 18:06
does anyone know if its open on sundays please thanks :D

yes 10 till 4

scoobz
25-10-2008, 19:31
At the end of the day, it's all surplus stock or seconds, but for the prices you can't go wrong plus the staff are always really friendly & helpful.

I've been going there for about 15 years, and I've always found the entire staff, with one exception, as thick as 2 short planks, and about as helpful as ice cubes at the Antartica.

Always get some great bargains though, and quality stuff too.

kimba
25-10-2008, 21:21
yes 10 till 4

thankyou very much :thumbsup:

fox20thc
25-10-2008, 21:26
Can you apply for a card if you work at the ASDA???

Ironic that Asda, M & S and waitrose staff can't get cards as all their stock is on the shelves :rolleyes: I have been told Posties can get cards too if that's any help.

whitewitch
25-10-2008, 23:20

I went down about a month ago, I work for Nhs, took 3 wage slips, tv licence and council tax for proof of address (as wage slips go to my station, not my home address) driving licence and my works Id card, i filled out a form and was straight in, I took my work mate 2 weeks ago to join, she was in straight away, Id go back if I was you, take your Id badge with you

Jessy277
27-10-2008, 11:32
I went down about a month ago, I work for Nhs, took 3 wage slips, tv licence and council tax for proof of address (as wage slips go to my station, not my home address) driving licence and my works Id card, i filled out a form and was straight in, I took my work mate 2 weeks ago to join, she was in straight away, Id go back if I was you, take your Id badge with you

That was a few month back, for about 2 weeks they had that silly rule, I contacted my HR dept and they new nothing about it and were getting fed up with employees calling them for membership card!! So I think the company shop changed their joining policy back to what it was before, makes more sense! I'll get round to going back at some point. Did they photo copy your payslips and all your other personal details or just check them? I'm not too keen on shops photo copying all my personal details these days!

soulmatez
27-10-2008, 11:49
my hubby has one and he works for nothern foods. we went yesterday and it was utter chaos !!!!!!!! there were so many people in the shop and its not the biggest of places. we ended up walking out!!

whitewitch
27-10-2008, 11:52
That was a few month back, for about 2 weeks they had that silly rule, I contacted my HR dept and they new nothing about it and were getting fed up with employees calling them for membership card!! So I think the company shop changed their joining policy back to what it was before, makes more sense! I'll get round to going back at some point. Did they photo copy your payslips and all your other personal details or just check them? I'm not too keen on shops photo copying all my personal details these days!

They just check your I D and address, no photocopying:)

richmond111
27-10-2008, 12:30
i have just this second rung the company shop and people who work for the council carnt get a card

Jessy277
27-10-2008, 14:14
They just check your I D and address, no photocopying:)

oh good, aren't I a worrier lol :hihi:

gummybear197
09-11-2008, 19:38
thanks for that info crafty1 i also work for the council so will be able to apply for 1. i used to go all the time with my mother in law but now there is only alowd 2 ppl in at 1 time so i stopped going. do miss it especially around xmas + easter cos the bargains are endless. how do i apply

rudiclue
11-11-2008, 07:46
I'm new at this so i cant post a link but theres a online company called approved food who can deliver to anyone in and around Sheffield for 2.95 - Type in approved food in Google.

They deal in the same type off clearance lines but not frozen food - They claim to be the biggest online traders of clearance food & drink. Last month i bought 24 mars bars for 1 that were 1 week out of date. Right now they are selling 12 pot noodles for 1!

Any one can register with them online - everyone welcome (i think)

kerry08
11-11-2008, 08:58
I am a registered childminder would I be able to get a card?

stressed_mum
14-11-2008, 13:22
doubtful kerry, but you can ask, number's further up the thread

miraclemaxx
14-11-2008, 14:06
I'm new at this so i cant post a link but theres a online company called approved food who can deliver to anyone in and around Sheffield for 2.95 - Type in approved food in Google.

They deal in the same type off clearance lines but not frozen food - They claim to be the biggest online traders of clearance food & drink. Last month i bought 24 mars bars for 1 that were 1 week out of date. Right now they are selling 12 pot noodles for 1!

Any one can register with them online - everyone welcome (i think)

Good website.

How do I get them to deliver? Their mailshot implies you have to go to one of the stores to buy the items.

tara
14-11-2008, 14:30
Just phoned my son at work (NHS) he asked and i think a managers letter is needed.
Also would my son be able to get a card if he is not the householder.
Im going on the utility bill thing.

rtooms
15-11-2008, 07:38
i want to apply for a the companys shop card iam 77 could you help me

e5c4p3
10-01-2009, 10:34
Good website.

How do I get them to deliver? Their mailshot implies you have to go to one of the stores to buy the items.

You can order online. 3.50 delivery for a Sheffield postcode.

Article about Approved Food in Financial Times today.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1491506a-de9b-11dd-9464-000077b07658.html

bus man
10-01-2009, 12:26
Just phoned my son at work (NHS) he asked and i think a managers letter is needed.
Also would my son be able to get a card if he is not the householder.
Im going on the utility bill thing.

As far as iam aware they were two ways of doing it

with there card

They supplied a load of cards to the company you worked r ie nhs/ police/ ci
vil service

the card was stamped/dated by manager
you then took a recent wage slip with address on
and photo id card

with letter
the manager did a letter you took it
with wage slip
and photo id card

the cards are available to certain companies/ organisations

if your son rang them they would be able to clarify what they need once registred its easy , just remember to take a bag full of carrier bags that you have to hand in when you enter

MR BENN
10-01-2009, 12:57
i got mine from when i was a postman -go every week

satman2222
10-01-2009, 13:13
Don't know why they restrict it to certain employers! I don't work for any of the supposed allowed trades, but managed to blag a card - why should they restrict it and why should they care? Perhaps they might think again if trade drops off, though it is always a scrum when I'm in there......

MR BENN
10-01-2009, 13:22
Don't know why they restrict it to certain employers! I don't work for any of the supposed allowed trades, but managed to blag a card - why should they restrict it and why should they care? Perhaps they might think again if trade drops off, though it is always a scrum when I'm in there......

agreed , its always busy .

stressed_mum
10-01-2009, 14:09
i want to apply for a the companys shop card iam 77 could you help me

Unless you are working for one of the companies listed in the database that they have, you will be unable to get a card I'm afraid, your best bet is to call them to see if you are eligable for a card.

pdrnsf
18-07-2009, 20:11
Does anyone have a link for the approved food company? Cant seem to find it on google.

Also, cant seem to fine the company shop's website-if they have one......

kidley
18-07-2009, 22:38
Does anyone have a link for the approved food company? Cant seem to find it on google.

Also, cant seem to fine the company shop's website-if they have one......

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/meal-deals-63-c.asp

pdrnsf
22-07-2009, 21:30
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks kidley, will have a look now!

lauriewsmith
21-08-2009, 14:57
I've been down today to try and get one.
Looks like they dont make any exceptions, I clean Mr Marrens windows so thought it was worth a try! Oh well.

coolrother
15-09-2009, 11:08
Ive been to another place on Hellaby industrial estate in Rotherham called Factory Foods its like Company Shop, it’s a lot bigger and its open to the public, ive been trying for ages to get a card for company shop but with no joy, a friend put me onto this place and apparently the owner worked for Company Shop or something.
They do have a website if anyones interested if you search on google for factoryfoods

nurse1983
15-09-2009, 19:29
I've not been for ages and have a card but not sure if they have changed it. I work for NHS and took my wage slips and I.D. Some things are great but others stuff can be rubbish. You can take someone who doesn't have a card either. I used to take my mum or sister.

lauss77
20-09-2009, 12:12
Can you get a card if you work for Sheffield city council?

kidley
20-09-2009, 12:18
Can you get a card if you work for Sheffield city council?

Hi

Afraid not M8t i think the reason is, it is invariably always full, if they let council workers in there would be a Que right to Hoyland and beyond

FactoryFoods
21-09-2009, 13:47
Hi Just to let you all know, I work for Factory Foods in Hellaby and have just come across this thread and the comments from coolrother, Just thought Id put a post on letting you all know that membership is free and not limited, you can work for who you like all you need is some proof of I.D. We sell frozen and dry goods in date and specials that are out of date.

If you want to register online just go to factoryfoods.co.uk

or if you want any more information please give us a call 01709 543377

mcrmy
21-09-2009, 14:04
i think this is kinda odd but my husband got one when he was working at a steel factory as an engineer, this was only 4 weeks ago, he just took his wage slip down, passport and utility bill got one straight away :huh:

mcrmy
21-09-2009, 14:06
and he got one for macros the same way.

sheffandy
21-02-2010, 09:14
I finally got a card for here a few weeks ago.
We were very disappointed after all the hype on here about this place, it was like cattle market.
The shop is just way too small.Queued for ages and ages to get served.
The frozen stuff is NOT as cheap as folk make out(example 10 yorks pudds-85p) the same ones in Fultons are 79p!
I also think the tinned stuff was hardly bargain price either.I will say there were one or two good deals on the short date fresh stuff(ready meals etc.) but overall it's just not worth the trek out to Tankersley, I've seen much better value for money at Home Bargains,Fulton's and Farmfoods.

17-03-2010, 12:13
Iwork for the police and have had a card for years. Very hard to get one unless you work for the nhs ,police. My freind works for the council and I have just phoned The Company Shop to make enquiries into her possible membership. Talk about rude,"Proberbly not,she will have to come through,I can't discuss it over the phone cos it will take me too long". I mentioned that I had seen the shop mentioned on the internet and asked if any information was on there. She very abruptly told me that anything on the internet is nothing to do with them.The staff at The Company Shop leave a lot to be desired very rude, no manners and don't give a stuff about providing ANY customer service and if it wasn't for the fact that it is very cheap they would certainly be out of a job .:

beckieb08
17-03-2010, 16:28
i got 1 when working for virgin media so im sure other companies will be allowed 2 just had 2 take proof of i.d and work place. if you enquire with your work place they should know or may be able to arrange it for you

Iwork2shop
17-03-2010, 18:53
"The staff at The Company Shop leave a lot to be desired very rude, no manners and don't give a stuff about providing ANY customer service and if it wasn't for the fact that it is very cheap they would certainly be out of a job .:"

I have to agree about some of the staff at the Company Shop. There's one in particular who speaks to both staff and customers as though they are something unpleasant on their shoe! :loopy:

I'm sure regular customers know who I'm talking about

AllAboutMe
17-03-2010, 19:20
Agree about the staff.....I go every week and there are always members of staff moaning about other members of staff and they can be downright rude sometimes.

dippyzippy
02-08-2010, 20:42
I go to Company Shop every week and don't find it too busy.
Noticed people say its like a cattle market but never found that myself.
Maybe its cos i go every Monday so it must be their quiet day.
Loads of bargains though, loads of half price andrex loo rolls,pampers nappies,baby wipes,soap powder, they seem to have all their Waitrose stuff in then ideal for me as i have five kids and need to save as much as i can on this kind of stuff.
My sister goes in the afternoons but she times it to get there about 2.45 when everyone (like me) are on the school run.:hihi:

inkie
10-08-2010, 15:25
Is it still in the same place, as I havn't been for months, or have they got a new shop?

brus
10-08-2010, 17:01
Is it still in the same place, as I havn't been for months, or have they got a new shop?

Still in the same place, stock not as extensive as it once was, prices have risen. Last few visits the goods came through the checkout higher price than stated on the shelf price, so now always check my receipt.

just-me
02-12-2010, 15:14
been to Company Shop today while i was off work with kids being off school.
Its not too busy and they are virtually giving stuff away.
Marks and Spencers meals for 25p, loads of milk at 29p.
They are swamped with bargains and a lot of it is dated beyond the weekend.
Def recommend today, i got a trolley full for twenty quid!

Chrissy53
25-01-2011, 14:15
Unless you work for the NHS or emergency services then you cant get a card. But if you do then all you need do is take 2 wage slips and proof of I.D. to the store they will then issue you one. I have wanted one for ages and now as I am funded through the NHS I cant get one unlees I have the logo on my wage slips and I dont so there you go. Thanks as I love a good bargain. :rant:

Bonjon
25-01-2011, 14:39
Been to company shop but much prefer factory foods, lot quieter at all times of the day.

laineyiow
25-01-2011, 14:52
Unless you work for the NHS or emergency services then you cant get a card. But if you do then all you need do is take 2 wage slips and proof of I.D. to the store they will then issue you one. I have wanted one for ages and now as I am funded through the NHS I cant get one unlees I have the logo on my wage slips and I dont so there you go. Thanks as I love a good bargain. :rant:

I used to have a card when I lived in Sheffield and I DIDN'T work for the NHS! I worked for a bank and managed to get a card easy enough and had one for years as did a lot of my work colleagues - unless of course the rules have changed over the past 6 years! As the shop was very close to where I worked we used to go in our lunch hour and stock up on food.

Chrissy53
25-01-2011, 15:11
Liked ur motto jive for today................
So do you still have the card and can I use it.

hyper
25-01-2011, 15:11
If anybody's interested I'll lend them mine for a fiver.
i know youre joking, but dont. I lent mine to the mrs who went alone and they confiscated it and wrote to me that I need to come in person to collect it. I sorta got a yellow card warning saying that if I did it again, i'd lose it.

Chrissy53
25-01-2011, 15:15
If anyone lives in Sheffield and has this sacred (now) card can I ask and go when you are going as Im desperate for a good bargain especially from Marks and Spencers. Hugs :)

Chrissy53
25-01-2011, 15:16
i know youre joking, but dont. I lent mine to the mrs who went alone and they confiscated it and wrote to me that I need to come in person to collect it. I sorta got a yellow card warning saying that if I did it again, i'd lose it.

I will def give you a fiver to lend your sacred card then I will come straight back to give it back to you. :)

Chrissy53
25-01-2011, 15:19
Been to company shop but much prefer factory foods, lot quieter at all times of the day.

Can I ask what is factory foods ?? is it the boxes that go ding in the microwave.... :confused:

Bonjon
25-01-2011, 15:57
Can I ask what is factory foods ?? is it the boxes that go ding in the microwave.... :confused:

More or less like the company shop, they have a website its off jnct 1 m18.

Factoryfoods.co.uk

GUZZIOWL
25-01-2011, 16:12
I've had my Marrens ( Company Shop ) card for 20 years and i go there regularly as i only live a couple o' miles from the place .They 'do' have some great bargains ...but....you've gotta drop on 'em ..sometimes they've not much in at all ...A lot of items are pretty much on a level with Jack Fultons. However , Fruit & Veg ,Bread , Bacon , Sausage etc are usually very cheap ...:)

just-me
17-02-2011, 13:28
More or less like the company shop, they have a website its off jnct 1 m18.

Factoryfoods.co.uk

I tried Factory Foods, yes it is quieter than Company Shop...the reason why is because they don't have as much range and everything is way out of date.
Frozen ready meals are up to 2 years out of date at Factory Foods.
Cranberry juice was 4 months out of date at 39p and tasted vile, same thing in Company shop in date at 29p.
To be fair, the savings at Factory Foods weren't that good either.
Company shop only sell in date stock and more good quality brands.

Bonjon
17-02-2011, 16:16
I tried Factory Foods, yes it is quieter than Company Shop...the reason why is because they don't have as much range and everything is way out of date.
Frozen ready meals are up to 2 years out of date at Factory Foods.
Cranberry juice was 4 months out of date at 39p and tasted vile, same thing in Company shop in date at 29p.
To be fair, the savings at Factory Foods weren't that good either.
Company shop only sell in date stock and more good quality brands.

Never seen things like that, I hate going to the company shop now, its just full of vultures, i'm suprised people haven't started fighting for the 10p OOD bread.

Ive been on weekends and when your trying to pick something up you usually have some grossley overweight person trying to snatch it before you get to it, just because its 10p.

Amazing what greed/gluttony does to people.

I imagine alot of the people in these shops also frequent the stalls at skeggy market(you know the ones, where they try and get you to bid for nintendo ds's for 25p, but their actually scamming you).

rothschild
17-02-2011, 20:28
Never seen things like that, I hate going to the company shop now, its just full of vultures, i'm suprised people haven't started fighting for the 10p OOD bread.

Ive been on weekends and when your trying to pick something up you usually have some grossley overweight person trying to snatch it before you get to it, just because its 10p.

Amazing what greed/gluttony does to people.

I imagine alot of the people in these shops also frequent the stalls at skeggy market(you know the ones, where they try and get you to bid for nintendo ds's for 25p, but their actually scamming you).

Oh dear.......sour grapes? :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Last weekend.......hand of very decent banana's = 19p. A huge piece of pork which cut up into 3 large joints.= 10. Other recent bargains included a large leg of lamb = 6. Beef joints around 3 each. All well in date but it wouldn't have mattered anyhow because it all freezes.

I don't mind a bit of "shouldering" when such massive savings can be made. :thumbsup:

kidley
17-02-2011, 20:34
Oh dear.......sour grapes? :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Last weekend.......hand of very decent banana's = 19p. A huge piece of pork which cut up into 3 large joints.= 10. Other recent bargains included a large leg of lamb = 6. Beef joints around 3 each. All well in date but it wouldn't have mattered anyhow because it all freezes.

I don't mind a bit of "shouldering" when such massive savings can be made. :thumbsup:

Hi
The meat is not cheap it comes from crawshaws butchers and it is the same price in there shop CS dont sell it any cheaper than crawshaws

mediman
17-02-2011, 20:55
Hi
The meat is not cheap it comes from crawshaws butchers and it is the same price in there shop CS dont sell it any cheaper than crawshaws

Beg to differ but not all the meat comes from Crawshaws, they also have meat from Asda which when i have purchased it, it has been half the price Asda charges for it.

rothschild
17-02-2011, 22:31
Hi

yes.......they do sell crawshaws meat on the left hand side of the first aisle and I think it is cheaper than what crawshaws charge in their shops.
BUT.....you are missing the real bargains, which when available are in the fridges on the middle aisle. The massive slab of pork that I bought for 10 last weekend was from Tesco. There is also meat from Asda, waitrose and other places.
Perhaps you went when they didn't have those bargains in? It is hit and miss but seeing as we pass the place every saturday we call in and usually come away with some worthwhile bargains.

kidley
17-02-2011, 22:44
Hi
The meat you refer to is not the same quality as crawshaws on the left hand side as you walk in, let me tell you what i bought from crawshaws two cooked pork loin joints easily the two together as big if not bigger than the 9.99 in CS also two beef joints the same as the CS was selling last week for 4.99 All four joints 10.00 admitted they was cooked yesterday but still a lot cheaper than the CS

kidley
18-02-2011, 09:35
yes.......they do sell crawshaws meat on the left hand side of the first aisle and I think it is cheaper than what crawshaws charge in their shops.
BUT.....you are missing the real bargains, which when available are in the fridges on the middle aisle. The massive slab of pork that I bought for 10 last weekend was from Tesco. There is also meat from Asda, waitrose and other places.
Perhaps you went when they didn't have those bargains in? It is hit and miss but seeing as we pass the place every saturday we call in and usually come away with some worthwhile bargains.

Hi
The price on crawshaws meat is put there by crawshaws for there shops its the same price they charge in the CS unless they have a glut of it and then the CS will knock a couple of quid of it, i do agree with an early poster No111 and yes i do agree with poster 101 also

tara
29-07-2011, 10:36
They were turning people away yesterday because of Power Cuts, apparently all over Tankersley.
Wonder what they will do with the Freezer stuff .

Bonjon
29-07-2011, 10:45
They were turning people away yesterday because of Power Cuts, apparently all over Tankersley.
Wonder what they will do with the Freezer stuff .

Will prob be on cheap today, there will be fights in the isles, I warn you now :hihi:

Mahiri
29-07-2011, 13:15
I'll take my boxing gloves!!

wkking
29-07-2011, 15:38
My dad works for corus and he has a card and my friend works for the nhs and she has a card.

Eric_Collins
29-07-2011, 16:23
I've been here a few times and it's like joblot. The same fresh meat they sell in joblot at the same price. The microwave meals from M&S and whiterose are the same as they sell in job lot minus the cardboard sleeves.

Yes things are 39p for a curry but it's close to use by date, the stuff that is not close to use by is 1 odd which is same as job lot prices.

kidley
29-07-2011, 19:31
i have a card for the company shop and i carnet see what all the fuss is about as i said above, i can buy crowshore meat from crowshores for less than i can buy it from cs, as been said there is not much in there that is cheaper than other places i.e. joblot, so those that dont have a card dont feel left out it's not that good as lts made out to be, but they do have some good deals on every now and then, as i under stand it now only the NHS employees can apply for a card now

wozman
29-07-2011, 19:35
Yeah, the steelworks are no longer in the group that they allow in, not been for about 3-4 years. That said if you have a card already they wont take it off you!

Lesterfan
30-07-2011, 00:48
The shop just sells manufacturers seconds, some of the quality is very hit and miss.

tonyblair123
01-03-2012, 21:20
been to company shop today !!!!!! what a site !!!!! couldnt believe it !!!!!! people actualy queing to get in there oh my god are they desperate or what!!!!!!!! how embassasing any one would think we were actualy starving in this country dont think so !!!!! i will never go there again so embarassed

ladyteacups
18-07-2012, 19:59
We love the Company Shop, and am grateful for our memberships! We both work for the NHS and haven't had much in the way of a wage increase since 2006. We used to shop at Waitrose; now even Aldi is too expensive for us. So, in response to the previous poster's comments, we're not ashamed or embarrassed to queue to get in to The Company Shop; we're grateful that for 20 we will get enough meat to fill the freezer for the month.

Andy
18-07-2012, 20:24
What a strange shop, only allowing NHS workers to shop there. I know people hate us bankers at the moment but being banned from a discount shop is the thin end of the wedge!

(Seriously - why? Surely they'd make more profit if they let anyone in?)

kidley
18-07-2012, 20:30
What a strange shop, only allowing NHS workers to shop there. I know people hate us bankers at the moment but being banned from a discount shop is the thin end of the wedge!

(Seriously - why? Surely they'd make more profit if they let anyone in?)

it's not big enough Andy you queue to get in at times and you have to queue to get out at the till, they were talk of them going to a bigger place but not happened yet

Eric_Collins
18-07-2012, 20:57
Reminds me of the grunters hoarding the special offer section in ASDA. Gets me about these that complain about not getting enough/ cant afford to eat are usually the fattest.

cytine
18-07-2012, 21:03
It's not only for NHS workers. I know several people who have a card and do not work for the NHS.

Andy
18-07-2012, 21:42
It says on their website you either have to work for one of their "partners" (the companies that produce the stuff they sell) or the emergency services. I expect this is to keep the "partners" sweet, they wouldn't be too happy at their surplus goods being sold to all and sundry at knock down prices.

Unregistered
19-07-2012, 06:35
..... we're grateful that for 20 we will get enough meat to
fill the freezer for the month.

You'd be better off at Hadfields for meat + chicken.

bullerboY
19-07-2012, 09:11
So all those on good money can have a card but all those who NEED one can whistle what good principles they work on.The police dont need it or the NHS or the council or the fire brigade they are all on good wages why should they be priviledged.

GodStar
19-07-2012, 09:20
So all those on good money can have a card but all those who NEED one can whistle what good principles they work on.The police dont need it or the NHS or the council or the fire brigade they are all on good wages why should they be priviledged.

Probably simply because there are a lot of them and they all have genuine identification to prove thay are part of that 'group'. That way the company shop has lots of customers but (like someone above said) can be seen to be not selling to everybody which wouldnt go down well with their suppliers.

The poor get plenty of privileges and hand outs they dont need cheap food as well!

sheffandy
19-07-2012, 09:22

So EVERYONE in NHS is on good wages?
Dream on....

kidley
19-07-2012, 10:45

bullerboy the company shop is not a charity, and the good meat they sell is Crawshaws which you may find cheaper in Crawshaws shop but there is stuff from the Super Markets, I have tried it and quite frankly its rubbish

bullerboY
19-07-2012, 11:17
You are all missing the point,the people on good money can shop at upmarket places and I know not everyone on the NHS is on good money but why is there discrimination on groups of people.I know how these places operate, so the poor can shop at supermarkets where they can buy less whilst the ones with money can buy more from this discount shop thats really good.I wonder how many on this topic are in one of these privileged groups.

GodStar
19-07-2012, 12:07
You are all missing the point,the people on good money can shop at upmarket places and I know not everyone on the NHS is on good money but why is there discrimination on groups of people.I know how these places operate, so the poor can shop at supermarkets where they can buy less whilst the ones with money can buy more from this discount shop thats really good.I wonder how many on this topic are in one of these privileged groups.

The poor can also now buy food from Poundland, 99p stores, Fulton Foods, Iceland etc etc!

DaFoot
19-07-2012, 12:14

Some staff in each of those segments will have decent salaries, but there will be plenty who are effectively on minimum wage. eg NHS Docs may have a reasonable salary, but the hospital ports/cleaners/admin staff etc etc certainly don't.

qazitory
19-07-2012, 12:38

good wages? lol we aren't all on nurses and doctors wages!

kidley
19-07-2012, 12:59
bullerboy

i think its you thats missing the point by a mile, IT IS NOT A CHARITY SHOP the reason why lets say only NHS staff can go in is to limit the numbers, i think i am right in saying they have stopped the Police and Fire Brigade from joining now because the place is not big enough i carnt imagine what it would be like if they let the unemployed and low wage earners in, if you did not read it above let me tell you again, the accusation you made is totally untrue the reason why there is only the NHS allowed in is to restrict the numbers because of the size of the place

hotbird
19-07-2012, 17:16
new shop opens late august and is near fire station at tankersely

GodStar
20-07-2012, 08:35
bullerboy

i think its you thats missing the point by a mile, IT IS NOT A CHARITY SHOP the reason why lets say only NHS staff can go in is to limit the numbers, i think i am right in saying they have stopped the Police and Fire Brigade from joining now because the place is not big enough i carnt imagine what it would be like if they let the unemployed and low wage earners in, if you did not read it above let me tell you again, the accusation you made is totally untrue the reason why there is only the NHS allowed in is to restrict the numbers because of the size of the place

Indeed it would be akin to a huge flock of vultures tearing apart a zebra carcass! It's reasonably civilised at the moment and should stay that way

spotty dog
27-09-2012, 13:49
Does anyone know if the company shop has moved to its new location yet?id heard they had the keys from the 26th sept.....just wondered if they had now moved.thanks :)

quicken
27-09-2012, 15:45
Does anyone know if the company shop has moved to its new location yet?id heard they had the keys from the 26th sept.....just wondered if they had now moved.thanks :)

ive had no email to inform me as to their movement as yet.

loopylulu
27-09-2012, 18:42
I went to the company shop yesterday - it was rammed - I asked the check out woman if it was always like that and she said 'yes' but that it should be better when they get to the new shop - she said it opened sometime in October (think she said around the 15th but not sure)

loopylulu
27-09-2012, 18:47

What do you call a good wage? The top fire chief, chief constable, head of council, head of NHS might all be on good wages but what about the little people below these??