The difference between Sheffield & Manchester?

Hey

I'm from the UAE ( United Arab Emirates) and I'm having a really hard time making a decision between studying in manchester or sheffield...i would really appreciate it if someone could point out the differences between living in sheffield and manchester...i haven't been to either city and i'm sorta worried about making the wrong decision...

so if anyone could help me out here i'd really appreciate it..

p.s: r there any arabs studying in the University of Sheffield by any chance? :?

Sheffield has a big Arab community (we gave the world Prince Naseem), and I'm sure you'd be made to feel very welcome here.

Hey,

Abby, Tony thanx for replying...

Yes i did check out the Uni's website but the information in it is very general...and well no offence but all official university websites tend to polish the truth a bit in order to get students to apply...i need info from the locals there...specially people that have been in my shoes ...u know to minimize the cultural shock i'll be facing :lol:

anyways thanx again

In that case, you may like to email [email protected]. (That's a society run by arab students for arab students.)

"We welcome all students from the Gulf region to meet each other and meet new friends."

They don't appear to have a website, but I'll sure if you email them they'll be able to answer any questions you may have.

Also check out the International Students Committee as, once again, although it's an official committee, it's run by students.

Hello

This is a long shot

Do you know Prince Naseem or have the ability to contact him?

I have painted a large portrait of him alongside his hero Muhammed Ali and wish him to at least see it. I believe he is the potential puchaser of this work of Art.

"Prince and King"

Acrylic on Canvas

1,80 x 1,80m

by Pete Kilkenny

http://www.kilkennygallery.com

Best Regards

Pete kilkenny

Y not drop him a card or sumting at his gym which is based on Abbeydale Road???

Originally posted by Nouf

Hey

I'm from the UAE ( United Arab Emirates) and I'm having a really hard time making a decision between studying in manchester or sheffield...i would really appreciate it if someone could point out the differences between living in sheffield and manchester...i haven't been to either city and i'm sorta worried about making the wrong decision...

so if anyone could help me out here i'd really appreciate it..

p.s: r there any arabs studying in the University of Sheffield by any chance? :?

Manchester is bigger than Sheffield. Its a lot more spaced out and big city. Sheffield is a closer and more friendly community. Depends what you want really.

Originally posted by robbie

Manchester is bigger than Sheffield. Its a lot more spaced out and big city. Sheffield is a closer and more friendly community. Depends what you want really.

You should come to Sheffield for the reasons other people have said ... Sheffield is the safest major city, too.

Robbie, I agree with the point about Sheffield being less "spaced out" but people often comment that Manchester is bigger than Sheffield ... how can it be? Sheffield is the fourth largest city in England ... I think people must be thinking about "Greater Manchester" which is just an area, and appears to encompass most of the towns and cities in the region, half of Lancashire and most of Cheshire .. :D or did you mean the Uni was bigger?

I'll rephrase that. Sheffield has more te feel of a large town. Friendlier and leafier.

well I am originally from Manchester ( then Stockport) but I moved to Sheffield to come to university. several years later I'm still here!

Manchester is 'better' for night life in my opinion and for sight seeing and going to see bands play. It has everything you would need and you would not get bored. It is also only 1 hour away on the train from Sheffield with two trains an hour during the day.

Sheffield has a slightly slower feel about it, when your in the city centre, you don't feel rushed and people are friendly and generally nice.

Sheffield is moving quickly and it has been strange to see how quick shefield is changing and it seems mostly to be for the better. As you can tell I prefer sheffield (as I've stayed here!) though I can't quite work out why; maybe it's the people i've met. they say it's the people that make a place!

I think that you would make a good choice to go to either universities both have fab reputations and both cities have there plus and negative points. What I would say is go where ever the best/ most suitable course is.

The Uk is small enough to get around during your three years of study and if you really can't make up your mind you can always transfer courses (up to universities discretion though) and spend time in both cities!

Manchester is a bigger city, but Sheffield has the edge. The outlook in manchester is a bit backward and depressive, but sheffield is more forward looking and cool. Leeds and Sheffield are more 'with it' culturally than manchester.

Sheffield University is also really good. Its unions are the best in the country. More people choose to remain in Sheffield and Leeds when they graduate than any other cities in Britain because there's a real community feel and a buzz about the places.

In Manchester, I feel like I'm gonna be mugged all the time, but my brother lived in Park Hill (skanky estste in Sheff) and he had no trouble whatsoever for the year he lived there.