View Full Version : How do you cope with work colleagues moaning?

hmr44
09-05-2007, 11:25
I've really tried my best to ignore it and give all my advice etc but I work with somebody who won't stop complaining, whether it's constantly sighing/ crying or talking about just general work things that really have nothing to do with me. I'm usually really busy and whilst she is constantly whinging, it is making me late from work and other than that it really brings me down.

Does anybody else have the same kind of problem, would you consider moving because of it?

x

fox20thc
09-05-2007, 11:27
Just tell her to stop. I have done this in the past when somebody thinks the only topic of conversation is how miserable they are. Tell her she's stamping on your karma and to shut the hell up.

Minesadouble
09-05-2007, 11:28
I've really tried my best to ignore it and give all my advice etc but I work with somebody who won't stop complaining, whether it's constantly sighing/ crying or talking about just general work things that really have nothing to do with me. I'm usually really busy and whilst she is constantly whinging, it is making me late from work and other than that it really brings me down.

Does anybody else have the same kind of problem, would you consider moving because of it?

x

Tell her to put up or shut the hell up & leave ....
Why do people do this ?
I've come across this before
Bladdy annoying if you ask me ....:mad:

BasilRathbon
09-05-2007, 11:30
Offer to make her a cup of tea and slip some laxatives in it.

JoeP
09-05-2007, 11:30
Direct her to her line manager or personnel.

Just say that while you understand she's not happy, she needs to consider what she can DO to change matters, if she's that unhappy.

bladesufc1
09-05-2007, 11:59
yes sunshine.. if you have a manager you can talk to, he or she will have to address this with the person involved, as it cn effect your and other peoples work load!

GOOD LUCK

D2J
09-05-2007, 12:00
Tell your manager or hers, you are not there as an agony aunt really..

Bleeding whingers :roll:

star
09-05-2007, 12:22

x

lol lol - i have a similar problem every day!! its so annoying - but i have learnt that all it is really is attention seeking - not been sexist here but in general girls do love the attention so i guess thats one way of seeking it! so far i have just put up with it! i think she will get over the phase (very soon i hope!) and then she will be normal!!

dfgenius
09-05-2007, 12:28
You are missing the skill that only men have of showing no interest in a conversation....

uh-huh, mmmmm, yeah etc.

babychickens
09-05-2007, 12:31
one of my (female) colleagues just yelled 'shut up, then' at one of my other colleagues who was bemoaning her lack own lack of motivation and lifestyle choices. they are pretty good friends though, so i guess it's more acceptable to say something like that when it's to a friend.

you might want to give it a try, though :rolleyes:

SleepyHead
09-05-2007, 12:33
I've really tried my best to ignore it and give all my advice etc but I work with somebody who won't stop complaining, whether it's constantly sighing/crying or talking about just general work things that really have nothing to do with me. I'm usually really busy and whilst she is constantly whinging, it is making me late from work and other than that it really brings me down.

x

> Does anybody else have the same kind of problem

Yes - I work in tech support so it's my job!

> Would you consider moving because of it?

Yes - I hate my job!

> How do you cope with work colleagues moaning?

Sometimes I imagine doing violence to them. Occasionally I try and exorcise my demons by writing nasty prose on my home computer (then I throw it away before anyone else can see what an unpleasant ****** I am). Sometimes I get ****** as a fart. Sometimes I go for a long walk in the country on a day when I know it's going to be quiet - Tuesdays are a good time.

The other suggestions on this thread are probably more appropriate though.

lyndix
09-05-2007, 12:53
Tell her to shut her gob, and if she moans about that put laxative in her coffee, that way she`ll spend most of the day in the bog out of your way!

Greybeard
09-05-2007, 12:54
I took the easy way out and retired :D

reditiger
09-05-2007, 12:54
OMG do you work in my office...you've just described one of my colleagues to a T and yes I want to leave more than anything :help:

GazB
09-05-2007, 13:03
I have a book called "Dealing with people you can't stand". You're more than welcome to borrow it! Haha.

jacwelina
09-05-2007, 13:08
When there is someone that is being like that, I really imagine that there is a waterfall going over me. Then when they aim their negativity at you you can let it go into the waterfall and wash away rather than taking it in. I know it sounds really hippyish but it it really works. They can't wind you up then ;) Try it!

HappyHoosier
09-05-2007, 14:05
The best way to stop a whiner from whining? Become a worse whiner yourself!

Seriously, every time she starts in with, "I hate my life. You'll never believe what happened..." you should pipe up with, "You think that's bad, I had to blah... blah... blah" or "I know what you mean. The same thing happened to me only much worse."

Trust me, misery does not love company.

discodown
09-05-2007, 14:34
Just do what I do and tell them that you have enough problems of your own without having to put up with their pathetic mewling. If they hate their job that much tell them to work for macdonalds

hmr44
09-05-2007, 15:54
God I'm so glad you all understand!

I feel like I can't talk to my manager because everybody know's the girl is going through personal issues and I don't want to seem like a heartless cow!

I wish I had the balls to tell her to shut up but I've resorted to the 'umm, yeah, mm hmm' method and it's not working.

She's told me she has a headache FOUR times!!! In my head I'm saying 'so do I from all your bloody moaning argh!!!!!"

xx

hmr44
09-05-2007, 15:59
Tell her to shut her gob, and if she moans about that put laxative in her coffee, that way she`ll spend most of the day in the bog out of your way!

She doesn't drink coffee :(

Does it work in water? ;)

gabby
09-05-2007, 16:01
Are you allowed to take your iPod into work? That'll do the trick:D

AJ sheffield
09-05-2007, 16:37
The place where I work is by far the worst company I have EVER worked for with regards to moaning and back stabbing. Depending on the shift pattern I have to endure 8 to 12 hours a day of almost relentless snidey vindictive crap.
Its so bad that sometimes other workers wait outside for you so they can be the very first to slag another worker off, shadowing you right up to the clocking machine....THEN... as soon as that person walks away from you the person they were just slagging off walks straight up to you and starts on them.
I tell people about how bad the place is and sometimes they dont believe me, they say it surely cannot be that bad but it really is. There is simply no other subject discussed by the people I work with other than the relentless slagging off of other workers.
There are a few who dont partake in this soul destroying pastime and they are genuinely nice people but they have been classed as Pariahs amongst the workforce by the vindictive elements that far outnumber them.
So claustrophobic is this working environment that I sometimes worry about the state of my mental health.......but the money is ok :rolleyes:

Bago
09-05-2007, 18:15
I thought that it's all about interpersonal skills?

I remember this guy who moaned a bit about religion yet again. I just find his ranting a little bit funny at times, but then this one time this girl moaned at another manager about it, and basically he got told off! >.<

I thought that was really cruel. It makes you think what is acceptable and what is not acceptable talk in the workplace.

hmr44
09-05-2007, 18:59
Are you allowed to take your iPod into work? That'll do the trick:D

I wish, it sits in my drawer laughing and pointing at me saying 'haha don't you wish you were listening to me....'

I do audio typing so I can just turn it up quite loud and pretend not to hear her and type so fast and put my 'busy' face on.