Gooseberries are they dying out?

As a kid I used to love gooseberry's but when did you last see a fruit shop selling them?

I was just saying the other week how you never see them. I remember a wild gooseberry bush around my old estate where id pick them and my mum would make a beautiful gooseberry pie!

Id be interested to see where you could get them from.

we used to nick gooseberrys as kids from local bushes, not seen any for yeaaars, then again i aint really been looking tbh

I was just saying the other week how you never see them. I remember a wild gooseberry bush around my old estate where id pick them and my mum would make a beautiful gooseberry pie!

Id be interested to see where you could get them from.

I meantioned it to my other half & being a keen gardener he went to wilkinsons & bought 2 gooseberry bushes for me (aw) they are growing great but be about a year before first fruits will show but I wait in eager anticipation :hihi:

This seems the only way I can have my fav fruit now :|

I meantioned it to my other half & being a keen gardener he went to wilkinsons & bought 2 gooseberry bushes for me (aw) they are growing great but be about a year before first fruits will show but I wait in eager anticipation :hihi:

This seems the only way I can have my fav fruit now :|

*finds out where btb lives and prepares for scrumping*

Mention of gooseberries brings back some memories!

As a kid many years ago I used to pick the unripe ones from my uncle's gooseberry bushes. Then eat them! Wow they sure were sour, and tummy ache surely followed. :o

It's been years since I saw them on sale in greengrocer shops. I think they may be available in tins, but there's no comparison with the fruit's taste when freshly picked after ripening.

So if there's no gooseberry bushes around these days where does the stork leave newly-born babies? :confused:

So if there's no gooseberry bushes around these days where does the stork leave newly-born babies? :confused:

under the cider bottle tree

As a kid I used to love gooseberry's but when did you last see a fruit shop selling them?

They're usually available in Sheffield markets from around the end of July to mid August.

We have them very year - stewed goosegobs and cold custard....Yumm :D

Nice in a pie too.

My grandad used to grow them on his allotment when he was alive, and nanan would make them into Gooseberry jam. :love: :love:

As soon as I have a garden I'll try and get my own little bush to grow - mmm fresh sour Gooseberries. :D

I thought you meant has the concept of being a "third wheel" died out as opposed to the actual berry. Wonder where that phrase came from?!

Oooh, goosegogs! :) I used to be set to picking them as I was the youngest and least likely to be lacerated by the thorns! There'd still be a fair bit of blood on them by the end of a picking session though :(

Damsons - you never see those much either. They make lovely sour jam too.

Goosegogs and cream....lovely....

there's a big bush at the bottom of my allotment neighbours plot. Neither me nor him like them.