View Full Version : Gooseberries are they dying out?

btbwild
07-05-2007, 09:22
As a kid I used to love gooseberry's but when did you last see a fruit shop selling them?

sufc_tom
07-05-2007, 09:27
I was just saying the other week how you never see them. I remember a wild gooseberry bush around my old estate where id pick them and my mum would make a beautiful gooseberry pie!

Id be interested to see where you could get them from.

melthebell
07-05-2007, 09:32
we used to nick gooseberrys as kids from local bushes, not seen any for yeaaars, then again i aint really been looking tbh

btbwild
07-05-2007, 09:35
I was just saying the other week how you never see them. I remember a wild gooseberry bush around my old estate where id pick them and my mum would make a beautiful gooseberry pie!

Id be interested to see where you could get them from.

I meantioned it to my other half & being a keen gardener he went to wilkinsons & bought 2 gooseberry bushes for me (aw) they are growing great but be about a year before first fruits will show but I wait in eager anticipation :hihi:
This seems the only way I can have my fav fruit now :|

melthebell
07-05-2007, 10:11
I meantioned it to my other half & being a keen gardener he went to wilkinsons & bought 2 gooseberry bushes for me (aw) they are growing great but be about a year before first fruits will show but I wait in eager anticipation :hihi:
This seems the only way I can have my fav fruit now :|

*finds out where btb lives and prepares for scrumping*

shoeshine
07-05-2007, 10:47
Mention of gooseberries brings back some memories!

As a kid many years ago I used to pick the unripe ones from my uncle's gooseberry bushes. Then eat them! Wow they sure were sour, and tummy ache surely followed. :o

It's been years since I saw them on sale in greengrocer shops. I think they may be available in tins, but there's no comparison with the fruit's taste when freshly picked after ripening.

So if there's no gooseberry bushes around these days where does the stork leave newly-born babies? :confused:

melthebell
07-05-2007, 10:59
So if there's no gooseberry bushes around these days where does the stork leave newly-born babies? :confused:
under the cider bottle tree

Greybeard
07-05-2007, 11:03
As a kid I used to love gooseberry's but when did you last see a fruit shop selling them?

They're usually available in Sheffield markets from around the end of July to mid August.

We have them very year - stewed goosegobs and cold custard....Yumm :D

Nice in a pie too.

Grim Reaper
07-05-2007, 11:06
My grandad used to grow them on his allotment when he was alive, and nanan would make them into Gooseberry jam. :love: :love:

As soon as I have a garden I'll try and get my own little bush to grow - mmm fresh sour Gooseberries. :D

tingle
07-05-2007, 15:25
I thought you meant has the concept of being a "third wheel" died out as opposed to the actual berry. Wonder where that phrase came from?!

Mathom
07-05-2007, 19:24
Oooh, goosegogs! :) I used to be set to picking them as I was the youngest and least likely to be lacerated by the thorns! There'd still be a fair bit of blood on them by the end of a picking session though :(

Damsons - you never see those much either. They make lovely sour jam too.

Goosegogs and cream....lovely....

mc55
07-05-2007, 20:28
there's a big bush at the bottom of my allotment neighbours plot. Neither me nor him like them.

pattricia
07-05-2007, 20:31
Now you mention it, you dont see them do you. I used to love Gooseberry Crumble with custard.

Ginger_Kitty
07-05-2007, 20:32
We are doing our bit for the goosegog cause... we found a huge one last year and planted it, 7 seedling later, 6 survived and are living in various places :)
my mum has about 6 plants and gets fruit every year

And I've seen damsons in loads of places... sadly usually people's gardens so i can't go pinch them!! :(

btbwild
08-05-2007, 21:22
*finds out where btb lives and prepares for scrumping*

Nooooooooooooooooooo not telling :hihi:

poppins
08-05-2007, 21:26
I bet Don K grows Goosberries.:)

btbwild
08-05-2007, 21:36
I bet Don K grows Goosberries.:)

He Pm'd me :hihi:

ValleyBoy
08-05-2007, 21:47
Little chef used to do gooseberry pancakes with ice cream.:)

btbwild
08-05-2007, 21:51
Little chef used to do gooseberry pancakes with ice cream.:)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not as nice as straight off the bush washed & veryyyyyyyyyy sour :hihi:

Pooch_1
08-05-2007, 21:51
All the hedgerows where the goosegogs used to grow, have been replaced by housing, the birds used to carry seeds etc to their nests in the bushes and drop some. but those days are gone now with redevelopment of our green and pleasant land.

btbwild
08-05-2007, 22:15
All the hedgerows where the goosegogs used to grow, have been replaced by housing, the birds used to carry seeds etc to their nests in the bushes and drop some. but those days are gone now with redevelopment of our green and pleasant land.

When my bush bears fruit I will let you all know :hihi: no scrumping though :hihi:

btbwild
08-05-2007, 22:16
When my bush bears fruit I will let you all know :hihi: no scrumping though :hihi:

Ooops meant the gooseberry bushes we planted 6 weeks ago :hihi:

fuzzy
08-05-2007, 22:21
There are loads on our allotment, we even cut loads down. The one next door is absolutly covered in them.

I don't like them but i can see i will have to start to, i do remember picking them at my nans and the topping and tailing them for her to make crumbles.

Pooch_1
08-05-2007, 22:26
Ooops meant the gooseberry bushes we planted 6 weeks ago :hihi:

:hihi: :hihi: Are you sure about that ? :hihi: :hihi:

julado
08-05-2007, 22:50
When I were little....a long time ago....my dad used to tell me that it was only the hairs on a gooseberry that stopped it from being a grape! And me mum used to make gooseberry jam. My dad grew lots of fruit and veg in our garden and once I had eaten all the peas (leaving the evidence of empty pea pods) I would start on the gooseberrys. And of course bellyache was my punishment for scrumping..... those were the days. :gag:

btbwild
09-05-2007, 09:05
There are loads on our allotment, we even cut loads down. The one next door is absolutly covered in them.

I don't like them but i can see i will have to start to, i do remember picking them at my nans and the topping and tailing them for her to make crumbles.

Where do you live we will all come round :hihi: