Help! Whats wrong with my car?

Ne guys (or gals) any idea what might be wrong with my car, apart from me being worried it might break down, im also getting really fed up of it!!!

Right- the problem is the engine seems to be making excessive noise, wirring loudly and can even feel vibration through my peddles!!! got it booked in for next friday at the garage but would like to now what may be causing the prob!!:rolleyes:

Its really bugging me so anyone with any ideas please let me know thanks x

Whatever it is, it sounds expensive. If it makes the noise while the car is stationary, it is almost certainly something gone inside the engine; probably a piston or con rod. If it's old, probably you'll need to scrap it and find another.

Check your spark plugs; and check your exhaust; if you're very lucky one of those will have failed.

I suspect you don't get your car fully serviced regularly; you need to.

oooh that doesnt sound good, there was new spark plugs put in about a month ago so im almost certain it isnt that. Only had the car for 3/4 months so hasnt been serviced.

Park it, open the bonnet, and run the engine. Can you see anything unusual, exhaust smoke coming from anywhere?

Pull out the dipstick; see what the oil looks like.

How old is the car? What is it?

Whatever it is, it sounds expensive. If it makes the noise while the car is stationary, it is almost certainly something gone inside the engine; probably a piston or con rod. If it's old, probably you'll need to scrap it and find another.

Check your spark plugs; and check your exhaust; if you're very lucky one of those will have failed.

I suspect you don't get your car fully serviced regularly; you need to.

do you know anythings about cars? a whirring noise it 90% a fail bearing, broken con rod/piston will not make a whirring noise!

why would spark plug make a noise??? did you know there is no moving part in a spark plug!!

a exhaust failure will not be a whirring noise either, let a mechcanic with a brain to look at it, it should take him a few seconds which bearing has failed,

what car is it?? by the way

well firstly the problem is intermitant, doesnt always make the noise but its become more often thatn not. if it was something serious with the engine the check engine light would have come on surely. I have checked under the bonnet there is no smoke nothing out of the ordinary, everything looks fine. ive checked the oil and it did need a little more putting in so i did. oil looked normal to me.

The car is a p reg, 1997 i think, hyundai accent petrol.

As for smoke nothing, and the car itself is running perfectly apart from the increased engine noise and slight vibration

do you know anythings about cars? a whirring noise it 90% a fail bearing, broken con rod/piston will not make a whirring noise!

u seem to know wot ur talking about, what sorta bearing are we talking??

Hard to say really could be anything,is the nosie worse when you do anything like turn steering wheel etc or dip the clutch,does the car move?I'not sayin take it a run round but just tryin to pick up on points what might make something more obvious

All i can say is when i lift my clutch the noise lessens,or it seems. but no its not making more noise when i turn the steering wheel or anything. The best way i can describe it is that the engine noise sounds more like that of a deisel engine when the noise is there. And it doesnt always do it.plus the noise is definatly coming from under the bonnet

Sounds like may be clutch release bearing or maybe gearbox in that case

why would spark plug make a noise??? did you know there is no moving part in a spark plug!!

a exhaust failure will not be a whirring noise either, let a mechcanic with a brain to look at it, it should take him a few seconds which bearing has failed,

I was thinking of the vibration; and speculating that one piston was not firing. I had a crankshaft crack once between 1st and 2nd cylinder; the car whirred and vibrated all the way to the scrapyard!

Sounds like the thrust bearing, or one of the other clutch bearings, in view of rach's latest post.

I wouldn't drive the car until it's been seen at the garage.