Sign in to follow this  

Commuting to Leeds

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me how long, in their experience, it takes to commute from Sheffield to Leeds by road? I'm wanting to move to Sheffield but haven't had much luck getting a job, so was thinking of casting the net a bit wider.

Thanks a lot

between 60 and 90mins driving, this would be rush hour obviously could be less on the north side of Sheff.

I agree with mikey but it also depends on the time of day. I used to commute up to the Arlington Business Centre, next to White Rose shopping. If I set off at 7 I could be there in 40 minutes from Crookes. It took about the same when I worked on Wellington Street.

The train service is diabolical. The one time I had to get the train it took an hour to do the journey and that was with only one stop at Meadowhall.

Also depends on time of year. I got a job in Leeds in the summer, and it used to take me 45 mins, tho being on flexi time meant I was setting off about 6.45 and getting there about 7.30.

I eventually moved back to Sheffield last winter, and commuted for a month. Absolute nightmare. I think 2 and a half hours was my record!

Any accidents, roadworks or bad weather seriously disrupt the journey.

The train service is appalling. Not too bad if you manage to get one of the newcastle to birmingham virgin trains, which can take about 40-50 minutes. But these are so busy. I remember trying to catch the 5.10 train to Sheffield, but the guards on the station not letting the Sheffield passengers on as they "should get on the Arriva train" which are always late, take about 1 hour 30 and are the oldest, coldest smelliest trains around.

If I was to communte again I would have to be seriously tempted by the cash! And if I was that tempted I would probably move back to Leeds

If you could get something South Leeds, eg junction 42 off the M1, that would be the best option.

Happy travelling!

I'm currently commuting to Leeds by train and I find it eminently do-able. I live in the city centre leave my flat at 7.30 and catch the 7:47 Virgin Train to Leeds which gets me there at 8:32 on a good day - the latest I've arrived is 8:55. The return train leaves Leeds at 17:35, and I'm usually home before 18:30. I have NEVER once had to stand because no seats were available.

Honestly, having just moved up from London I find it a truly painless commute!

I'm thinking of moving out of the city centre to somewhere like Nether Green. I'll then have the choice of driving to Leeds or driving & parking at Sheffield station. Surely the traffic isn't so bad at 7.30 am?

7.30am traffic is slowly building but you 'should' be fine e-man.

PS Good to see you on the boards, where you been bro?

I used to commute between Sheffield and Leeds daily and found the National Express Buses were the best way.

It used to be £10 a week and went from Leeds bus station down the M1 to Meadowhall & Sheffield - i think the prices are now £5 return but I am sure they will still do weekly tickets as well.

This is a lot more reliable that the train and cheaper as well...

The only problem was that the service could get a bit busy at busy times....

:)

Originally posted by DaBouncer

PS Good to see you on the boards, where you been bro?

Hi DaB!

Yeah I've been faaaar too busy this summer - but it's been all good. Indeed, I'm heading off to The Big Chill festival in a couple of hours where I'll be performing on Sunday, which will be a huge larf.

Cheers

E-Man

I live in Nether Green and work in Leeds a couple of days a week. If I leave home at 7:10 I usually get to my North Leeds office around 8:00 (by staying on the M1 to junction 46 and going in from there). If I leave at 7:30 it takes until 9:00 because the traffic gets so bad around the M1/M62 intersection. it also pays to come back a little early or late but that's not as crucial as the morning. Hope this is helpful:D