Sign in to follow this  

Standish Gardens, Shirecliffe

Lo,

Just been to look at a house on this development. Any1 live of lived on their or have any comments on the area. Is it a nice place to live, looked nice and quiet :)

Thanks

Best thing is to go up at night times and different times of the day might not be so quiet then?

Make sure you keep a peg handy as the developement overlooks a landfill site(still active) and a dumpit site.

The landfull site is closed for upgrade but will be re-opened soon.

The smell can be off putting at times but the people who live on that estate think they are the only ones who can smell it.

I live in Longley and some times you can wiff the tip down here but if you asked me wether i would live on there then the answer would be yes, definately. Its a nice estate and the rowdys are further down the road past the pub on the council estate.

If you can get one over looking the tip then i hear in future years it will de landscaped and that should secure a good price in the future.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

The landfull site is closed for upgrade but will be re-opened soon.

The smell can be off putting at times but the people who live on that estate think they are the only ones who can smell it.

If you can get one over looking the tip then i hear in future years it will de landscaped and that should secure a good price in the future.

CR, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a house overlooking the tip. The last I heard was:

(a) the tip was going to be expanded

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/27dec02/landfill.htm

(b) and that the owners were planning to keep it open for another 20 years and raise the lower part of the tip so that it's level with the houses :o

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/messenger/october2001/toxicwaste.shtml

8) Abby its handy if you need to get rid of any rubbish living up there..so thats one advantage ain't it

abby,

those new cuttings are old, the site was being expanded to enable a shield to be built between the houses and the site. This has now been done.

I understand that onyx currently have a 30 year contract with council and will use this site.

I have emailed the parkwood landfill group to find out the current situation as there seems to have been no activity in the last year or so.

Originally posted by spoonz

I have emailed the parkwood landfill group to find out the current situation as there seems to have been no activity in the last year or so.

I did too, for the same reason. They replied saying the landfill site is not closed, and their campaign is continuing

does know one read the local paper the landfill site is no longer going to be accepting toxic waste, the licence has been revoked, so the smell should no longer be a problem. This news was in the Sheffield Star very recently.

dazzer

I looked at a house up there - should have bought it then - has gone up by £ 30 K in last 18 months!

Still unsure as to whats happening over toxic waste fumes - heard rumours that the contractor hadn't done the decontamination work properly and there are still concerns at the local health authority over the long term effect on people's health.

Originally posted by dazzer

does know one read the local paper the landfill site is no longer going to be accepting toxic waste, the licence has been revoked, so the smell should no longer be a problem. This news was in the Sheffield Star very recently.

No dazzer, nobody reads the local paper :roll:

It all depends on how you define toxic waste. Some nasty stuff will still be dumped there, and the smell isn't going to go away overnight.

Anyone know what the stuff that sprays out of a tube attatched to the perimiter fence at the dump is? It smells sort of perfumed? Wonder if that it is a new high-tech solution to dealing with the smell, just spray a different smell so the other isn't as bad!