View Full Version : Questions to Sony PS3 owners ...

Col2k5
16-04-2007, 16:05
Hello ... iam getting the Sony PS3 on the 23rd and was wondering if the people on this forum that actually got one have had any problems or if they have a niffty hacks or tricks ...

Please no XBox Fanboy Thread Spoilers ..

Thanx

Col ..

fredsredhat
17-04-2007, 21:01
gis a go mr :D

Mr Goose
18-04-2007, 07:34
Hello ... iam getting the Sony PS3 on the 23rd and was wondering if the people on this forum that actually got one have had any problems or if they have a niffty hacks or tricks ...
Please no XBox Fanboy Thread Spoilers ..

Are you going to conect it to the net? The Guardian had reviews of some of the downloadable games etc last week - and it sounds a good system.

Also - I have just realised that it (out of the box) plays a variety of movie avi files...

This means that you could (in theory note)

1. Download/backup movies, episodes of Battlestart Galactica etc from the net or DVD as "avi" files,

2. Burn them onto DVD-R, or even CD-R (or whatever recordable media gets your goose)

3. Play said movies on the PS3 - you will fit 5 movies of average length on a DVD-R and 1 on a CD-R

I would not be taken in by any lures to chip or mod the hardware - just buy legit games. Have a read on some of the review sites - but "Resistance Fall of Man" and "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" sound two good choices of initial games to buy.

Then.... wait till Gran Turismo #5 comes out, buy it, then invite me round your house to have a go on it......................:(

Rich
18-04-2007, 07:54
Are you going to conect it to the net? The Guardian had reviews of some of the downloadable games etc last week - and it sounds a good system.

Also - I have just realised that it (out of the box) plays a variety of movie avi files...

This means that you could (in theory note)

1. Download/backup movies, episodes of Battlestart Galactica etc from the net or DVD as "avi" files,

2. Burn them onto DVD-R, or even CD-R (or whatever recordable media gets your goose)

3. Play said movies on the PS3 - you will fit 5 movies of average length on a DVD-R and 1 on a CD-R

I would not be taken in by any lures to chip or mod the hardware - just buy legit games. Have a read on some of the review sites - but "Resistance Fall of Man" and "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" sound two good choices of initial games to buy.

Then.... wait till Gran Turismo #5 comes out, buy it, then invite me round your house to have a go on it......................:(

Um, downloading TV episodes off the net is called Pirating.

TattyBear
18-04-2007, 08:25
I have one and only problem i have with my console (not down to the console) is freezing and chucking me out of games when Im playing online multiplayer. Its down to my router as I dont have this prob when playing the console normally. Its the best console I have ever owned. I have 11 games so if you want any opinions on any games just ask. (no technical reviews though cos im only a 'fun' user)

neeeeeeeeeek
18-04-2007, 08:26
Um, downloading TV episodes off the net is called Pirating.

Get a grip Rich

Rich
18-04-2007, 09:25
Get a grip Rich

Um, I have a grip thank you.

Unlike some people I am a law abiding Internet user that's all.

Do you see?

Beakerzoid
18-04-2007, 09:34
Um, I have a grip thank you.

Unlike some people I am a law abiding Internet user that's all.

Do you see?

Although there are now legal channels for downloading of some TV shows for rewatching (via I-Tunes or another paid for service), and the list is likely to increase over time.

So, you can watch TV shows and abide by the law if you wish. Whatever, the point was that you can play most video formats on the console from the outset without having to mod it.

Mr Goose
18-04-2007, 09:47
Although there are now legal channels for downloading of some TV shows for rewatching (via I-Tunes or another paid for service), and the list is likely to increase over time.

So, you can watch TV shows and abide by the law if you wish. Whatever, the point was that you can play most video formats on the console from the outset without having to mod it.

There are several sites for downloading movies which are legal as well.

Col2k5
18-04-2007, 10:00
Hi .. thanx for replys ... I have 2 games coming with the PS3 .. Motorstorm and Resistance Fall of Man

Didnt know about the AVI thing though ... does it mean it will play Divx or XviD ..? .. i bought a Sony Divx player only a couple of weeks ago .. i could have wasted me money .. lol

Col ..

Mr Goose
18-04-2007, 10:39
Hi .. thanx for replys ... I have 2 games coming with the PS3 .. Motorstorm and Resistance Fall of Man

Didnt know about the AVI thing though ... does it mean it will play Divx or XviD ..? .. i bought a Sony Divx player only a couple of weeks ago .. i could have wasted me money .. lol

Col ..

Yup - it sounds like it does a Divx plus job - look here:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

Col2k5
18-04-2007, 12:52
Will soon found out.. its just turned up .. i will get back to you on it ..

Col .. :D

Guderian
18-04-2007, 13:04
I have one. Its boring.

Wish I had kept my 360......

Ghozer
18-04-2007, 14:28
I'll not be getting one unless i can get one for about 50, or im given one....

TattyBear
18-04-2007, 14:34
I have one. Its boring.

Wish I had kept my 360......

Boring? in comparison to what? an xbox360? both are very similar so how can it be boring? :confused:

Eric_Collins
18-04-2007, 15:35
i'm not a console user but i found a PS2 un-fun at the side of an xbox. I think main thing with that was the use of a hard disk and 3rd party software.
________
TUBE 8 (http://www.****tube.com/)

Guderian
18-04-2007, 15:37
Hard to say.

Just know that i have one, and havent turned it on for a week.

I have Resistance and Motorstorm. Good games, but not sure about their shelf life.
Have also seen a few Blu ray films, which are very nice to look at, but not widely available yet.

All I know is that I used the Xbox more - no idea why.
Am dissapointed with the opening array of PS3 games.

Space
19-04-2007, 16:56
Boring? in comparison to what? an xbox360? both are very similar so how can it be boring? :confused:

Apart from the 360 has a over a years worth of games head start. It goes to show what a fantastic machine the 360 is when the PS3 is 15 months 'newer' and is no better apart from having a Blu Ray drive fitted.

My PS3 keeps making a horrible grating noise when I turn it on :(

TattyBear
19-04-2007, 17:07
Apart from the 360 has a over a years worth of games head start. It goes to show what a fantastic machine the 360 is when the PS3 is 15 months 'newer' and is no better apart from having a Blu Ray drive fitted.

My PS3 keeps making a horrible grating noise when I turn it on :(

you could have a faulty ps3 then because its a well known fact that the xbox sounds like heathrows main terminal compared to ps3!

craigb
19-04-2007, 20:13
I have a PS3 too (since launch day) and I've got nothing but good things to say about it.

I've got MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, Virtua Tennis 3 and Formula 1: Championship Edition, and all 4 games completely astound me every time I play one of them, for a number of reasons.

They all look, sound and play much better than anything I've seen or played before - and these are all early launch titles... I can't wait until the second and third wave of games start to arrive.

As for problems, well I've had mine connected to the 'net via my wireless router and it's been solid and smooth, even playing a 20v20 Team Deathmatch on Resistance whilst talking on my bluetooth headset - and that's with my PC sitting downloading in the background too.

Space - I'd worry about your PS3 if I were you as mine's incredibly quiet... and having heard a 360 running it makes me appreciate the PS3 even more.

As for people calling them boring or no better than the 360... well I guess it's a matter of opinion but personally I really don't see how the two can be compared... the 360 just doesn't come remotely close to the PS3 in any way what-so-ever... and as others point out the PS3 is a good year plus behind the 360 in terms of being out there and developers having time to get the most from it, so I can only see the PS3 getting further and further ahead as time goes on...

...and lets not forget that Sony have a HUGE game development infrastructure themselves (second only in size to EA), who will of course be making plenty of PS3 exclusive titles.

All in all... it's good ;)

Rich
19-04-2007, 22:35
I have a PS3 too (since launch day) and I've got nothing but good things to say about it.

I've got MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, Virtua Tennis 3 and Formula 1: Championship Edition, and all 4 games completely astound me every time I play one of them, for a number of reasons.

They all look, sound and play much better than anything I've seen or played before - and these are all early launch titles... I can't wait until the second and third wave of games start to arrive.

As for problems, well I've had mine connected to the 'net via my wireless router and it's been solid and smooth, even playing a 20v20 Team Deathmatch on Resistance whilst talking on my bluetooth headset - and that's with my PC sitting downloading in the background too.

Space - I'd worry about your PS3 if I were you as mine's incredibly quiet... and having heard a 360 running it makes me appreciate the PS3 even more.

As for people calling them boring or no better than the 360... well I guess it's a matter of opinion but personally I really don't see how the two can be compared... the 360 just doesn't come remotely close to the PS3 in any way what-so-ever... and as others point out the PS3 is a good year plus behind the 360 in terms of being out there and developers having time to get the most from it, so I can only see the PS3 getting further and further ahead as time goes on...

...and lets not forget that Sony have a HUGE game development infrastructure themselves (second only in size to EA), who will of course be making plenty of PS3 exclusive titles.

A lot of former Sony exclusives have gone multiformat though, the one the Sony zealots are most upset about losing is Grand Theft Auto, the last game was on Xbox and GTA 4 is 360 bound apparently, also the last WWE game marked the multiformat debut of the previously PS2 exclusive Smackdown Vs Raw series, and there's been a Tekken on the DS.

Guderian
20-04-2007, 07:39

Thats absolute rubbish. I have no allegiance to either format, but to say they can't be compared is ludicrous.
For example, compare Gears of War on 360 to Resistance on PS3.
Resistance looks almost childish in comparison graphically.
I have watched HD-DVD films on XBox, Blue Ray on PS3. The best picture I have seen?
King Kong on HD-DVD. By a mile.

Space
20-04-2007, 09:31
Thats absolute rubbish. I have no allegiance to either format, but to say they can't be compared is ludicrous.
For example, compare Gears of War on 360 to Resistance on PS3.
Resistance looks almost childish in comparison graphically.
I have watched HD-DVD films on XBox, Blue Ray on PS3. The best picture I have seen?
King Kong on HD-DVD. By a mile.

It goes to prove how good the Xbox 360 is, as it was released 15 months before the PS3 and there is no noticable difference between the two except the 360 has loads of fantastic games for it already! Xbox Live is the best online console network too!

I am disappointed with my PS3.
Call Of Duty 3 looks blurred compared to the 360 version on the same TV and my drive keeps making grating noises. The console itself looks like it was designed in the early 80's. The fans don't seem to cool the console down enough as mine feels like its going to melt after a while (hence the 360 fans sound louder because they seem to do a better job of cooling the internals)

Sony seem to have lost they're way. The PS1 was an amazing console! The PS2 was average but the PS3 is just like, yeah OK...

If Gran Turismo is crap on it, I'm selling it asap!

HD-DVD also is a better picture.

Col2k5
20-04-2007, 14:06
I like the PS3 :D

Col2k5
20-04-2007, 14:53
I was interested in the 360 at one point .. but i saw so many people complaining about the red ring of death it put me off ..

BTW .. Divx dont work on the PS3 .. :(

But iam well impressed with the Fall Of Man Game ...... GAME ON ..!!

Col ...

TattyBear
20-04-2007, 15:14
I have 11 games for my PS3 and other than 1 game I am not dissapointed with any (marvel ultimate alliance). I had my Xbox360 4 months and I struggled to find 3 games I liked! Thats says it all for me.

Nazo
20-04-2007, 15:43
PS3 can run Linux so should work with DivX and just about any other format you can throw at it with a bit of work.

PuressenceUK
20-04-2007, 15:54
I have 11 games for my PS3 and other than 1 game I am not dissapointed with any (marvel ultimate alliance). I had my Xbox360 4 months and I struggled to find 3 games I liked! Thats says it all for me.

Which 11 have you got? The PS3 didn't have 11 exclusives at launch which means at least 6 of the games you must have were out on the 360 anyway, so your argument has just been shot out of the water????

TattyBear
20-04-2007, 16:08
Which 11 have you got? The PS3 didn't have 11 exclusives at launch which means at least 6 of the games you must have were out on the 360 anyway, so your argument has just been shot out of the water????

Im comapring it to the the fact that I couldnt get any games for xbox360. Xbox has always had limited games in comparison. Its a well known un arguable fact that their game base is limited comapred to sonys.

PuressenceUK
20-04-2007, 16:14
Im comapring it to the the fact that I couldnt get any games for xbox360. Xbox has always had limited games in comparison. Its a well known un arguable fact that their game base is limited comapred to sonys.

Yes on the X-box 1 'v' PS2 then you're argument is correct.

But on the 360 'v' PS3 it is not.

You still haven't said which 11 games by the way.

MeMyself
20-04-2007, 16:33

Col2k5
20-04-2007, 16:35
Please stop making this another 360 vs PS3 thread ...

I posted this thread to ask PS3 owners THIER opinions ... not Xbox Fanboys opinions ..

If you have had a PS3 and didnt like it then thats fair enough .. put why you didnt like it ..

All i wanted to know from the people that have PS3s what they think of the sytems tweaks and if anybody had used any sort of hacks or upgrades .. and opinions on the games ...

I even put that i didnt get the 360 because of the ring of death issue but didnt slag it off .. if this issue is resolved by Xbox then i will be gettin one in the future ..

Col ..

Col2k5
20-04-2007, 16:46
Hello TattyBear .. i see from you posts, like me your most impressed with the PS3 .. maybe we could talk through PMs from time to time about the system and the games .. if thats ok with you

Col ..

Guderian
20-04-2007, 19:42
Please stop making this another 360 vs PS3 thread ...

I posted this thread to ask PS3 owners THIER opinions ... not Xbox Fanboys opinions ..

If you have had a PS3 and didnt like it then thats fair enough .. put why you didnt like it ..

All i wanted to know from the people that have PS3s what they think of the sytems tweaks and if anybody had used any sort of hacks or upgrades .. and opinions on the games ...

I even put that i didnt get the 360 because of the ring of death issue but didnt slag it off .. if this issue is resolved by Xbox then i will be gettin one in the future ..

Col ..

Oh dear.
I own a PS3. Did own an XBox 360.
So i just felt I was in a good position to make a comparison.
PS3 has slightly more potential. At the moment, its nowhere near realising it.
I miss the XBox.

Mr Goose
20-04-2007, 20:58
Y..a..w..n

chimaera
20-04-2007, 21:32
Personally the thing that knackers the PS3 for me is the controller - I *hate* the Playstation controller - it was the weakest one of the last generation and they've done nothing to improve it - its too small and the ergonomics suck :(

Other than that I actually like the PS3 a lot - its got a lot of potential and its a suprisingly good Blu-Ray player. If it was cheaper and there were decent 3rd-party controllers out there I could be tempted to pay for one but for the time being I'm sticking with my Xbox360 :)

Mr Goose
22-04-2007, 14:30
Personally the thing that knackers the PS3 for me is the controller - I *hate* the Playstation controller - it was the weakest one of the last generation and they've done nothing to improve it - its too small and the ergonomics suck :(
)

I suppose its a matter of taste - I have had consoles and Pc games etc since, errr, the late 1970's - and think the PS2 controller is the best I have used for any sort of game - even flight sims!

Beakerzoid
22-04-2007, 14:55
I suppose its a matter of taste - I have had consoles and Pc games etc since, errr, the late 1970's - and think the PS2 controller is the best I have used for any sort of game - even flight sims!

I'm with you on this one. Even got an adapter to use my PS controller on the PC. All the buttons are in the right places so that you don't have to strain to hit them (unlike those silly black and white ones on the XBox controller - they did my head in! You had to dislocate your thumb to hit them!), and the size of the controller is a great fit for my palms.

Kry10
22-04-2007, 20:18
I haven't heard much info about the ps3 supposedly being backwards compatible, is this a fact or an unfounded rumour ?

I also heard that only the Jap imports could play ps2 and ps1 games due to them having the emotion chip whereas they removed the chip for the UK release due to the expense, can anyone confirm this rumour ?

Col2k5
22-04-2007, 23:12
I haven't heard much info about the ps3 supposedly being backwards compatible, is this a fact or an unfounded rumour ?

I also heard that only the Jap imports could play ps2 and ps1 games due to them having the emotion chip whereas they removed the chip for the UK release due to the expense, can anyone confirm this rumour ?

I played GTA San Andreas the other day on my PS3 .. you have to set up a Virtual Memory Card on HDD though .. which was easy .. and you can also set up a Virtual Memory Card for the PS1 so it must play them too but i dont have a PS1 game to try it ..

My FW on the PS3 Updated the other night to 1.70 .. on doin a google search this update is so that you can buy and download PS1 games from the Playstation Store .. not that they have put any on yet .. lol ... It also says the Update is for the Vibration to work on PS2 games ...

Happy Days .

Col ..

Kry10
23-04-2007, 08:04
Ah, so, the info I have heard about the emotion chip is a load of rubbish, if anyone else has any more information on this, can they shed some light on it.

Nazo
23-04-2007, 08:11
Basically, the American and Japanese PS3s had the PS2 chips in them to do PS2 backwards compatibility. The EU release (and likely future American and JP too) had these chips removed and all back compatibility is now done in software a la Xbox 360, which means fewer games work though PS3 is far improved on the rather pathetic Xbox effort.
So basically ours isn't as good as theirs at doing it but it does have it. There's a list on the PS3 website somewhere that has a list of games currently compatible. PS2 compatibility is still region encoded by the way so American and JP PS3s won't play UK PS2 games.

Kry10
23-04-2007, 09:04
That's sneaky, so, if you have a ps2 or ps1 game, it doesn't matter if you have the original, you still have to download the software from the store and pay for it, yet again, hmmm, that won't please people.

Beakerzoid
23-04-2007, 09:11
There's a list on the PS3 website somewhere that has a list of games currently compatible. PS2 compatibility is still region encoded by the way so American and JP PS3s won't play UK PS2 games.

The list is http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/bcGames.htm?generation=PS2

It's quite comprehensive!

Nazo
23-04-2007, 09:59
That's sneaky, so, if you have a ps2 or ps1 game, it doesn't matter if you have the original, you still have to download the software from the store and pay for it, yet again, hmmm, that won't please people.

No you misunderstand, you don't have to download the software again, it still runs off your original discs and you don't have to pay for anything again. The difference is that whereas the American and JP units run the game using the original PS2 chips, our Euro units have a software emulator that emulates the PS2 chips.

To put it simply, foreign PS3s really have a PS2 in them, our PS3s pretend to have PS2s in them using software.