View Full Version : Bike crash on snake pass

pavlo1969
14-04-2007, 16:41
Came back over snake around 3 and a biker had gone over crash barrier on glossop side.

the helicopter was in attendance.

looked bad, hope he or she is OK.

medusa
14-04-2007, 16:42
Oh no- I have everything crossed at this point that there's a biker who's just lost one of their nine lives.

babelicious
14-04-2007, 16:47
OMG hope no-ones hurt too bad

Grim Reaper
14-04-2007, 17:00
About 2pm 2 ambulances a paramedic car and 2 police cars, sped over Rivelin way, I assume thats what it was.

I hope that all is as well as can be. The snake can be a horrible road at times.

pavlo1969
14-04-2007, 17:11
About 2pm 2 ambulances a paramedic car and 2 police cars, sped over Rivelin way, I assume thats what it was.

I hope that all is as well as can be. The snake can be a horrible road at times.

must have been something else because ambulance flew pass me at mottram Moore

Grim Reaper
14-04-2007, 17:12
must have been something else because ambulance flew pass me at mottram Moore

Oh dear, thats not good then :(

littlewizzle
14-04-2007, 17:13
Came back over snake around 3 and a biker had gone over crash barrier on glossop side.

the helicopter was in attendance.

looked bad, hope he or she is OK.

lets hope hes ok

pavlo1969
16-04-2007, 17:18
looked on Manchester news, papers ect.

no reports on the crash so i presume he's still with us.

they were taking care in getting him to helicopter and his eye's were open when i saw him.

DancingDave
17-04-2007, 09:59
I was out there on Saturday, loads of bikes out too and some were just going far far too fast, desperate to overtake and doing the most reckless manouveres. Its awful when somebody gets hurt like this, but it's not surprising when bikes are so powerful and there is no special training after you have passed on a 125cc machine.

Knoxville
17-04-2007, 10:07
I saw this on the way back from my parents. The same guy had passed us (on the motorway) shortly before loosing it on snake. When he went passed us he was undertaking, in the inside lane doing about 120mph

DancingDave
17-04-2007, 10:11
Exactly as I said, it is not surprising that they come unstuck is it ?

I1L2T3
17-04-2007, 10:54
was out there on Sunday and have to say the standard of driving and riding was probably the worst I've seen on the snake. Some of the manourvres bikers were doing were crazy and the other bad thing was people overtaking cyclists and crossing the solid white line to do it. I had to brake several times because of oncoming vehicles doing that. It's a miracle more people don't get injured on there.

Stockers
17-04-2007, 11:01
Like the Stocksbridge bypass its always those who don't know the road who cause the accidents.

shirker
17-04-2007, 11:02
I saw this on the way back from my parents. The same guy had passed us (on the motorway) shortly before loosing it on snake. When he went passed us he was undertaking, in the inside lane doing about 120mph

If you'd been on the inside lane, he wouldn't have had to undertake!

I do that journey regularly on 2 wheels, not much room for error, great fun though!

Strix
17-04-2007, 11:07
It's those that ride like idiots and put others in danger that get bikers a bad name :mad:

I have the deepest sympathy for any biker who is in an 'accident', but I regard there as being a difference between an accident and a 'bloody stupid'

I hope this guy is okay, and can take something away from this event :suspect:

Stockers
17-04-2007, 11:08

Probably a women driver hogging the middle lane.....i do a fair amount of motorway driving and i think its time drivers needed to take another test for them to qualify to drive on the motorway.

Some people just don't have the common sense, confidence, awareness or knowhow to be allowed on what is a high speed road.

Strix
17-04-2007, 11:09
Probably a women driver hogging the middle lane.....i do a fair amount of motorway driving and i think its time drivers needed to take another test for them to qualify to drive on the motorway.

Some people just don't have the common sense, confidence, awareness or knowhow to be allowed on what is a high speed road.Seconded - although round these parts middle aged men are the worst middle lane drivers ;)

yummyyumyum
17-04-2007, 11:20
hope the rider is ok!

whenever we hear about a rider who has come off their bike a lot of people assume the biker was speeding or doing something else stupid. fact is there are as many reckless drivers in cars, just that bikers bear the brunt.

many years ago my dad used a bike as he didnt have a car licence, he was knocked off his bike by a drunk car driver who had no insurance etc. luckily his injuries were only minor ones.

Tricky
17-04-2007, 11:23
Seconded - although round these parts middle aged men are the worst middle lane drivers ;)

.....But then the majority of motorway drivers are middle aged men.

I've long speculated whether you can predict driving behaviour based on a driver's age, gender, race, type of car etc and in certain situations you can.

But in my experience hogging the middle lane crosses across all of these types (except for young lads in quick cars who tend not to bother with the middle lane at all).

Darbees
17-04-2007, 11:30
You can't predict how anyone will drive by virtue of age, gender, race etc. Sometimes you can predict it if they have a particularly crap but new or fairly new car such as a Toyota Prius which is the car for an idiot to tell the world that they are one who wants to pretend to be green but carry on driving.

alchresearch
17-04-2007, 12:16
whenever we hear about a rider who has come off their bike a lot of people assume the biker was speeding or doing something else stupid. fact is there are as many reckless drivers in cars, just that bikers bear the brunt.

Unfortunately once the accident has happened we rarely hear the reasons for the crash. Perhaps there should be some statistics that are recorded and publicly available.

It is wrong to judge and assume he was driving like an idiot just because of the sheer number of other bikers doing the same thing, but we've all seen it. My particular 'favourite' was two bikers racing each other on the wrong side of the road just before the high part of the Snake. They almost hit an oncoming car and almost forced another car off the road and they cut in front of him to get back on their own side.

hmr44
17-04-2007, 12:20
Do we have anymore news, like a name/age of the biker?

Stormy
17-04-2007, 12:24
Its true, just because he was riding a bike doesnt mean he was driving like a moron. Have some respect and dont prejudge him because of the vehicle he drives. Anything could have happened to cause this accident and wild speculation is just immature and pointless

Knoxville
17-04-2007, 12:33

I was overtaking someone :loopy: If he'd waited ten seconds I would have been back in the inside lane.

irenewilde
17-04-2007, 13:15

Don't you dare suggest it's just women hogging the middle lane. I've always done a lot of motorway driving - my family are spread around the country. Due to a couple of them being ill, I've done around 2000 miles in the last 4 months, mostly on motorways. Middle lane hoggers come in all shapes and sizes - elderly people of either sex, guys on their mobile phones (seen a few of these, including one texting as he drifted first into the inside lane and then into the fast lane) and a lot of van drivers. I agree with the test idea though - people are clueless on how to drive on motorways. My favourites are the ones who indicate and move out in front of you at the same time no matter how close you are to them - "I'm moving and I'm moving *now* - I don't care if you have to brake sharply. And the ones who overtake and then cut in about 4 feet in front of you.

Glennis
17-04-2007, 13:23

Some people just don't have the common sense, confidence, awareness or knowhow to be allowed on what is a high speed road.

Why a women? They are safer drivers, its usually men who are the bad drivers, according to the accident reports. stop being so sexist.

Tricky
17-04-2007, 13:53
You can't predict how anyone will drive by virtue of age, gender, race etc. Sometimes you can predict it if they have a particularly crap but new or fairly new car such as a Toyota Prius which is the car for an idiot to tell the world that they are one who wants to pretend to be green but carry on driving.

Are you serious? Don't you remember the golden rule? A man in a hat will drive like a ****.

MuteWitness
17-04-2007, 13:55
Are you serious? Don't you remember the golden rule? A man in a hat will drive like a ****.

So true!!! :hihi:

shirker
17-04-2007, 14:04
I was overtaking someone :loopy: If he'd waited ten seconds I would have been back in the inside lane.

10 seconds!?....do you drive a lorry?

Knoxville
17-04-2007, 17:58
10 seconds!?....do you drive a lorry?

No I don't, nob

pavlo1969
17-04-2007, 19:48
Its true, just because he was riding a bike doesnt mean he was driving like a moron. Have some respect and dont prejudge him because of the vehicle he drives. Anything could have happened to cause this accident and wild speculation is just immature and pointless

True mate!

none of us knows what was behind it.

there is a lot of good bikers out there with a hell of a lot of respect for the roads.

there is the odd couple that are stupid.

what people don't realise is bike's and cars are put into the same category and have to keep to the same limits, but the difference is a car doing 70 and a bike doing 70, i know which will stop quicker and i know which one will handle a bend at speed.

the only thing i disagree with, is the bikers that will over take on twin White's.

pavlo1969
17-04-2007, 20:06

i wear a hat!!doe's this count for me?

i am an x ambulance driver, an advanced driver and been on many driving courses, but as usual we are going of the subject!

pavlo1969
17-04-2007, 20:08
looked on Manchester news, papers ect.....nothing has been said.

no news is good news!

Darbees
18-04-2007, 09:52
Are you serious? Don't you remember the golden rule? A man in a hat will drive like a ****.Yes obviously I didn't mean them, you are right there.

SupraSteve
18-04-2007, 11:35
what people don't realise is bike's and cars are put into the same category and have to keep to the same limits, but the difference is a car doing 70 and a bike doing 70, i know which will stop quicker and i know which one will handle a bend at speed.
Out of interest, do you think that a car or a bike will brake, and corner better?

The answer is that (if all other things are deemed equal) a decent sports/performance car will outbrake and easily outcorner a decent sports/performance bike, due to the larger and more numerous points of contact with the road and the inherent stability that come from 4 wheels when compared to just 2 (even if you do lean right over on a bike). This is demonstrable in real life quite easily, but I wonder if you appreciated that as you came across (to me) as thinking that bikes were superior in these respects?

Bike are better at acceleration, and at increased 'bang per buck'; primarily due to their much better power-to-weight ratios and realtive cheapness to buy. :thumbsup:

Tricky
18-04-2007, 11:43
Out of interest, do you think that a car or a bike will brake, and corner better?

The answer is that (if all other things are deemed equal) a decent sports/performance car will outbrake and easily outcorner a decent sports/performance bike, due to the larger and more numerous points of contact with the road and the inherent stability that come from 4 wheels when compared to just 2 (even if you do lean right over on a bike). This is demonstrable in real life quite easily, but I wonder if you appreciated that as you came across (to me) as thinking that bikes were superior in these respects?

Bike are better at acceleration, and at increased 'bang per buck'; primarily due to their much better power-to-weight ratios and realtive cheapness to buy. :thumbsup:

I am quite prepared to believe that is true on the track, although my guess would be that the vast majority of bikes will outperform the vast majority of cars.

However, I wonder whether it is true on public roads which are essentially a car-width wide, where a bike can "straighten out" the corners by moving from curb to white lines but a car can't.

Darbees
18-04-2007, 11:45
Having driven cars and bikes on tracks I know for a fact that a car will corner much faster than a bike which is why outright lap records are always held by cars. A sport bike will have accelaration to match the fastest of sports cars so it can make up time on the straights but on the corner it can only lean over so far before losing grip, a car will just drift but at a higher speed.

Darbees
18-04-2007, 11:47
However, I wonder whether it is true on public roads which are essentially a car-width wide, where a bike can "straighten out" the corners by moving from curb to white lines but a car can't.A bike can increase the radius of the corner compared with a car by coming into the corner, depending which way it goes, nearer to the white line or kerb and then aiming for the apex in the middle of the corner and back out again close to kerb or white line.

Mentalmomma
18-04-2007, 11:50
I Rang my Dad to ensure it wasn't him on his bike as he'd been heading that way. Do we know if the biker was ok etc?

SupraSteve
18-04-2007, 11:52
I've been held up by bikes that are 'gunning it' through twisty bits and using the whole width of the road (a private test track) before, yet like I say on the straight bits they easily pull away from me - it can be difficult to compare as a lot will depend on the rider/driver and their skill/commitment/mentalness, but I still think that cars will win through bends & when braking, bikes will win everywhere else.

The differences make it more fun anway ;)

Tricky
18-04-2007, 12:02
I've been held up by bikes that are 'gunning it' through twisty bits and using the whole width of the road (a private test track) before, yet like I say on the straight bits they easily pull away from me - it can be difficult to compare as a lot will depend on the rider/driver and their skill/commitment/mentalness, but I still think that cars will win through bends & when braking, bikes will win everywhere else.

The differences make it more fun anway ;)

But were you using the whole width of the road?

SupraSteve
18-04-2007, 12:08
But were you using the whole width of the road?
Sometimes I was using the whole of 'my side' of the track, sometimes I was using the whole width - he always used at least the same 'amount of width' as me, if not more as he had better visibility and I was also concentrating on not running into the back of him ;)

<that last comment was a joke, before anyone gets offended or upset :P>

JoeP
18-04-2007, 14:38
This seems to have become a general thread on Bikes / riding.

Closing.