View Full Version : How to clean a Belfast sink?

zweena
10-04-2007, 18:58
Howdy

We have a lovely belfast sink in our house but having never had one before, I was wondering what is the best way to clean it? It came with the house and has taken a little bit of a battering, by the previous owners and ourselves to some degree, and is now looking grey and mucky. Any recommendations or tips?

locket
10-04-2007, 21:38
I use neat household bleach on mine & it comes up lovely.

zweena
11-04-2007, 08:57
I use neat household bleach on mine & it comes up lovely.

It does work, but looking on t'internet they suggest not to as it damages the surface. Saying that, it's worked well on ours. One website suggested some stuff from John Lewis (and it wasn't their website), called "astonish" or similar. Might go have a gander.

locket
11-04-2007, 10:22
Astonish is cheaper at wilkinsons about 99p. You can use in on almost anything

zweena
11-04-2007, 10:49
Astonish is cheaper at wilkinsons about 99p. You can use in on almost anything

Cheers locket, you're a gem!

andco
29-04-2007, 20:30
you can invariably get the same from anywhere else for much less thanwhat John Lewis usually sells. I have seen them go out of stock on things where their competitors are sellingthe same item for a fraction of JLPs RRP.

Strix
29-04-2007, 20:34
Astonish is a gritty paste which isn't dissimilar to
shiny sinks
cif
barkeepers friend
(If I'm not mistaken)

So any of the above will do the trick

*Cinderella*
29-04-2007, 21:58
Astonish is far too abrasive to use with ceramic. Belfast sinks do chip, crack and discolour to a certain extent with age, that can be part of their charm. Household bleach is just fine, honestly. If the cracks worry you, get a bath refinisher to give you a quote to get it sorted. Normally, if you wipe round the sink with a mild detergent immediately after using it, it will not need cleaning anyway. Once they have cracks, they will get worse over a (very long) period of time regardless of whether or how you clean them, unless you get them refinished.