What are your guests getting you? gift lists or not?

Hi,

For your wedding are you asking your guests to buy you gifts? do you have a wedding list? or are you asking for money?

:)

we've got an argos gift list. lots of things ranging from a couple of pounds to about £40ish. also you can select gift cards. plus they will deliver it all to your home address after the wedding if more convienitent.

We are asking for money so we can pay for our honeymoon, we are wanting to drive the West Coast of America.

Were asking for money for a homeymoon too - How are you actually phrasing the asking? Im worried about offending people

We want to ask for money too, either pounds or euros. How exactly do you ask?

I am asking for money as gifts aswel. If you search google it comes up with loads of little poems to put in your invitations, things like.............

As we have set up our home together

and got all our bits and bobs,

we are asking for those that wish to gives gifts

for money for our future as Mr & Mrs...............!

Ok so it may not rhyme but you know the sort of thing I mean.

Can anyone else think of a poem?

:)

The majority will ask you anyway what you want as a gift. I am putting a poem in my invites!

we haven't written a poem, we've just put in small letters on opposite side of card

Your presence is enough on this day, but should you wish to honour us with a gift, we would like money to put towards a deposit on our first house, or STA travel vouchers for a honeymoon xxx

I had great problems phrasing the bits about gifts at all- I would rather that there were no gifts, but the first few people who got their invites all said 'but there's no comment on presents! We're going to get you something anyway, you may as well tell us what you'd like, or you'll get 3 toasters', so we had to amend things for the later invitations.

I find accepting gifts very embarrassing at the best of times (and being the centre of attention- so I'd rather the ground had opened up and swallowed me than been a bride) and as for telling people what to get me, well that felt altogether too much like asking them for money.

i'd really like to ask for money (towards our first house which we can't afford to buy yet!) but I'd feel uncomfortable doing so.

I wanted to sign up to the Oxfam unwrapped gift list but my fiance wouldn't let me - he said we should take advantage of people wanting to get us stuff!

So we've signed up with John Lewis but just for vouchers as we wouldn't have anywhere to put loads of gifts.

We went through the whole wrangle and concluded that dragging the entire wedding party up to Scotland, having some people fly in and others travelling by train, then us travellling back by car, if we didn't give a big fat hint about a wedding list service that would deliver to us after the event, we'd find ourselves in a mess!

we only put dull boring things like towels and some nice new pans on the wedding list, but we kept an eye on it as people made purchases, and had to add to it later

some people who see us often enough made their own decision about a gift, but realtives were relieved to have the legwork done for them ;)