View Full Version : Genealogy: Savage family in Sheffield

Moon Maiden
23-07-2003, 13:02
I have quite a full family tree for my grandma's side of the family and there is a good deal of research been done my for mother-in-laws side.

But for some reason the fellas on both sides seem scarce on information.

So if anyone is reading this and has information on Savage family in Sheffield could you please get in touch.

Moon

starchild
24-07-2003, 18:53
Any chance of you being related to Rick Savage of Def Leppard?:P

Clik32
24-07-2003, 19:49
I went to school with a few Savages, but I doubt it's the one's you're looking for. Live at Intake I think.
Chloé

PaulTansley
25-07-2003, 08:11
Plenty of savages on Manor Chloe.:banana: :help:

davecarrman
11-10-2003, 16:24
I have details of 3 generations of John Blanchard Savage starting in Rotheram 1850's, moved to sheffield before 1884. Any help?
Anne

HappyShopper
12-10-2003, 01:24
I went to school with a lass called Savage. I think her name was Vagania if that's any help.

Funke88
12-10-2003, 04:27
Originally posted by HappyShopper
I went to school with a lass called Savage. I think her name was Vagania if that's any help.
Wow, that's an unfortunate name. Well, almost.

alchresearch
12-10-2003, 11:20
There was a family on the Badger estate in Woodhouse called Savage back in 86-87 that I (and most of the estate) knew. Husband (allegedly) got drunk one night and burnt their house down.

Steve Cooper
23-12-2003, 01:11
I had an aunt and uncle called Savage - my uncle was called Walter and my aunty was called Dorothy (people usually called her Dolly - her maiden name was Glaves). My cousin, their daughter, is called Sheila and has a son and two daughters (Mark, Diane and Yvonne). Walter and Dolly lived on the Greenhill estate for as long as I remember, but have been dead for many years. Walter was one of the troops rescued from Dunkirk. Whilst looking for another relative's grave, in the Pitsmoor cemetery, I came across graves of several Savages.

Maureen
28-12-2003, 18:09
There were some Savages lived at the farm on Manor Lane, not sure which years though. They were something to do with Sheffield Abbotoir on Cricket Inn Road or maybe they just took the cattle there for slaughtering.

I can't find the paperwork at the moment but will let you know when they were there, later.

reidlinda
02-01-2004, 15:40
I have a lot of information on the Savage family of Sheffield. John Blanchard Savage was born in Blacktoft, married Elisabeth Luty in Bramham, lived briefly in Rotherham and then settled in Sheffield.
The children of John Blanchard Savage and Elizabeth Luty are: William. Fred, John Blanchard, George, Thomas, William.
I am descended from Thomas Savage and Annie Marshall Harris. Please contact me if you share this Savage line as I have a lot more information.

deer_stop
20-01-2004, 22:10
my dad is a savage, and well, so are all of us. We live in Sharrow/Nether Edge!

Indigogo
26-01-2004, 14:45
Three generations of Savages worked at Clark's Rolling Mills on Penistone Road near Rutland Road in the 1970's.

The grandfather lived on Myers Grove Lane before the Pine Grove gym was built, then he was relocated to Buchanan Road where he died in the 1980's.

Don Savage senior was married to Norma and lived on Capel Street then moved to Butchill Avenue at Ecclesfield in 1966. Now dead.

Don Savage junior, born in 1952, married/divorced Julie Longmore and now lives in Sydney, Australia.

Moon Maiden
26-01-2004, 15:56
Well this line of Savages has links with Thornhill's (who owned Hagg Hill and later moved to Paradise Square).

I canne get to my records at the minete as the husband hasn't re-installed the family tree maker thingy!

Thanks for replies so far tho!

Moon

PopT
11-02-2004, 06:24
I used to go to school with a George Savage who lived on Beulah Road in Owlerton. You could try looking in a Whites or Kelly's yearly directory for Sheffield for any other traces of the Savage family. I hope this helps you.

Pop T

Jon
25-10-2005, 21:06
There is a Mrs Savage(now re-married) working at Hartley Brook school, Shiregreen.

peppermint
29-10-2005, 20:27
I knew a Graham Savage lived at Toll Bar Pitsmoor had a son called Carl if that helps

Highnote
30-10-2005, 10:59
My Mum and dad had friends during the war who lived on Bath St, Charlie and Nellie,Savage with their children Peter and Rita, Charlie was the Concert Chairman at the old Central Labour WMC on West St he had a very deep loud voice and when he called for order for the"Turns"he got it!!! I hope this might help.

goldenbabe1966
16-06-2006, 20:18
There was a family on the Badger estate in Woodhouse called Savage back in 86-87 that I (and most of the estate) knew. Husband (allegedly) got drunk one night and burnt their house down.
I was born in that house, number 47 i recall.We moved out in bout 86, so yeap it happen not long after that .:(

micheleagle
17-06-2006, 04:38
hi maureen are u ok today thanks for your help with our manor lodge garden project we are having a meet nxt friday any tips for writing up family history!
See you

Jimbob1989
17-06-2006, 08:11
I knew a savage at school :huh: and I once met a tramp called savage after he got in a fight with my dad :rolleyes:

royburgin
17-06-2006, 10:14
I have quite a full family tree for my grandma's side of the family and there is a good deal of research been done my for mother-in-laws side.

But for some reason the fellas on both sides seem scarce on information.

So if anyone is reading this and has information on Savage family in Sheffield could you please get in touch.

Moon
hiya
just seen your post.just to let you know, there still is savage family members living on butchill ave.

Alan52
17-06-2006, 10:30
I remember a savage he was a full time police officer and also a army officer at Edmond Road drill hall mid sixties top guy.

elaineallsop
21-06-2006, 02:57
Hi,

Re message from Indigogo. That branch of the Savage line is my family and my brother Don and his family now reside in Sydney Australia. I myself and my family moved over to Australia 6 years ago and live quite close to Don. Any one wishing to trace him/or my family please post on this site.

taylor1
22-06-2006, 15:35
I knew a Gilbert Savage, he had a daughter called Nicola and a son called Mark. They were living on the Hyde park flats in the 80's.

Sian B
12-09-2006, 12:41
There is a savage family who live on Deerlands Aveune, Parson Cross.

allthegearno
22-10-2007, 13:50
hi my family name is savage a lot of us originate from hackenthorpe but have split up to all parts my dad was ted i am steve my brothers are john(jack) and david my sisters are elisebeth and caroll my mother is betty

hazel
23-10-2007, 09:48
Do you write all your posts like that
hazel

allthegearno
23-10-2007, 10:06
Do you write all your posts like that
hazel
no not at all :hihi::hihi::hihi:

hazel
23-10-2007, 10:08
I suppose I asked for that reply :) or is it just because you're savage?
hazel

allthegearno
23-10-2007, 10:11
I suppose I asked for that reply :)
hazelits the savage in me :loopy:

occelifer
02-12-2007, 17:01
Hello, I had a friend called Jacqueline Savage around 1955. She had a brother whose name I can't remember. Her mother was in charge of a nursing home in the Hunters Bar area of Sheffield, I think it was on Clarkehouse Road. Bye

Myrtle
02-12-2007, 17:33
I think there used to be a family called Savage, lived on Wordsworth Crescent in the 40s/50s. Sheffield 5.

gracie
05-01-2008, 08:19
just seen your post. i am a descendant of john blanchard (thomas brother).maybe we can help each other ?.

JAQU1E
17-01-2008, 21:02
Hi, I was Jackie Savage and my Mum had Nursing homes

gracie
29-01-2008, 16:59
hi reidlinda, i am a descendant of john blanchard and elizabeth. i have info from
1639 to the present day, if you would like to share i will send you my email address.
thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

irene dicker
09-02-2008, 13:06
just seen your posting
my grandmother was a savage her name was frances, she had two sisters one mary who had a pub and one aggie who lived on intake road. their mothers name was agnes and father was thomas
any good if so let me know because i am researching my family tree

regards
irene

worfolk
09-02-2008, 14:58
My grandmother's maiden name was Savage and lived in Sheffield. Her first name was Emma, born in 1868. Her mother - Mary Ann Bownes; father - William; sister - Annie Lavinia; brother - William.

Lostmarbles
09-02-2008, 22:06
I have a Charles Savage in my tree who married a gr aunt of mine Nellie Trickett from S5 area , i'm told by family members he committed suicide by slitting his own throat !!!! not sure of dates but believed to be @ 1920's / 1930's

HughW
09-02-2008, 22:32
My grandmother's maiden name was Savage and lived in Sheffield. Her first name was Emma, born in 1868. Her mother - Mary Ann Bownes; father - William; sister - Annie Lavinia; brother - William.

You may be aware that Emma WORFOLK (nee SAVAGE) is buried with other WORFOLKs in Walkley Cemetery. Her grandparents William & Rebecca SAVAGE are buried in the General Cemetery (Sharrow). Don't know about her parents though.

Hugh
(Friends of Walkley Cemetery)

worfolk
09-02-2008, 22:43
You may be aware that Emma WORFOLK (nee SAVAGE) is buried with other WORFOLKs in Walkley Cemetery. Her grandparents William & Rebecca SAVAGE are buried in the General Cemetery (Sharrow). Don't know about her parents though.

Hugh
(Friends of Walkley Cemetery)

Thanks for that, I'll pass the information on to my son who is compiling our family tree.

howden25
23-06-2008, 14:28
Hi Everybody,

This is a bit late, only just found this Forum, this may help someone.

Willim Savage born 1853 Surfleet, Lincs. came to Sheffield around 1870, married a Hannah England 1875 ( latter widow, maiden name Sharp).

1881 live Spital St. Burngreave, Goods Guard with Joe & Mary step children, Martha,William & Annie.

1891 10 Dorling St. Railway Porter, Wife Hannah children Joseph,Martha,William,Fred & Charley.

1901 Marcus St. 1 House 2 Court. Checker, with Wife Ellin, Fred,Charlie and Niece Maud Roberts.

This may help someone or even me.

ernest52
18-08-2010, 10:20
i am trying to find out any history of ann margaret savage died 1962, at one time lived at 85 cookson road,sheffield
any information would be appreciated,
thanks,
ernest52.

Bethsmummy
18-08-2010, 12:31
Is cookson road at sicey? I know there are savages still living at sicey!

ernest52
18-08-2010, 16:52
The one I am on about is just down from the white horse

Organgrinder
18-08-2010, 16:55
Probably not relevant to you but I knew May & Clifford Savage in the 1940's / 1950's.
They lived on Romney Road Heeley & had a daughter called Shirley.
May worked at some time during those years at the Heeley Green cinema.

Fareast
18-08-2010, 17:11
Haven 't time at the moment to read all the thread----but there was a Detective. Dougie Savage lived on Dover Road [ off Ecclesall Road ], up till the late 1960 's. I know he had a son who would perhaps have been about 20 in 1970.....? Dougie was a nice bloke, and, as far as I know, so was the son ? Sorry, not much help !

gracie
18-08-2010, 21:26
I have a lot of information on the Savage family of Sheffield. John Blanchard Savage was born in Blacktoft, married Elisabeth Luty in Bramham, lived briefly in Rotherham and then settled in Sheffield.
The children of John Blanchard Savage and Elizabeth Luty are: William. Fred, John Blanchard, George, Thomas, William.
I am descended from Thomas Savage and Annie Marshall Harris. Please contact me if you share this Savage line as I have a lot more information.

Reidlinda, John Blanchard was my gt gt gt grandfather I have info going back to 1639 . Would you share please ?

willybite
19-08-2010, 18:21
Haven 't time at the moment to read all the thread----but there was a Detective. Dougie Savage lived on Dover Road [ off Ecclesall Road ], up till the late 1960 's. I know he had a son who would perhaps have been about 20 in 1970.....? Dougie was a nice bloke, and, as far as I know, so was the son ? Sorry, not much help !

hiya
i remember just after ww11 a family called savage lived on egerton street in the broomhall area i didn't know them all that well but i remember the father always wore a stetson hat i think he was a western addict his son got some ragging from some of the local kids as his name was gene thats all i remember.

Catherine100
02-09-2010, 12:22
There was a savage living on wordsworth crescent in the 40's 50's as he was married to my grandmother who's previous married name was Lycett. My grandfather died quite young and she met the gentleman and married him. Unfortunately the children didn't like it so she moved from Dryden Road just up from Wordsworth Crescent and moved into the house on Wordsworth Crescent with the youngest daughter. The other children stayed with the elder sister in the house on Dryden Road. I believe there are still a few Savage's (the suname that is) still living in the Parson cross area.

ibbo
03-09-2010, 17:55
We bought the house that Douglas Savage and his son lived in at Dover Road. May still have his contact address if needed.

ibbo
03-09-2010, 17:58
There was a family called Savage who lived at Cowley Manor, Chapeltown. Annie Savage was the mother, and in some way distantly related to me (my mother always used to say) although I can't quite figure out how yet. She had sons who were horse farmers at the stables next door on Cowley Lane. Son John was killed a few years ago after being kicked by a horse.

jmdee
03-09-2010, 20:03
There was a savage living on wordsworth crescent in the 40's 50's as he was married to my grandmother who's previous married name was Lycett. My grandfather died quite young and she met the gentleman and married him. Unfortunately the children didn't like it so she moved from Dryden Road just up from Wordsworth Crescent and moved into the house on Wordsworth Crescent with the youngest daughter. The other children stayed with the elder sister in the house on Dryden Road. I believe there are still a few Savage's (the suname that is) still living in the Parson cross area.

Went to Southey Juniors with Linda Savage, they lived on Southey Hill.

Sooperdooper
03-09-2010, 21:15
I worked with Lynne Savage married to Nick Savage in the 80's I think they live in Derbyshire

HSavage
04-09-2010, 22:20
I am interested in the Savage Families of Sheffield going back to 1500.
If anyone has any information about any of the Savage famailies in and around Sheffield from 1500 to 1800, I would be most interested.

In c.1600, there were about 3 main families that I know about.
There were in and around : (1) Darnall/Attercliffe, (2) Ecclesall, (3) North Lees.

Further probably related familied existed in the Treeton/Rotherham/Whiston area,
in Yorkshire, and at Castleton/Bakewell and Eckington in Derbyshire.

HSavage
04-09-2010, 22:27

If anyone has any information about any of the Savage families in and around Sheffield from 1500 to 1800, I would be most interested.

There were in and around : (1) Darnall/Attercliffe, (2) Ecclesall, (3) North Lees.

Further probably related familied existed in the Treeton/Rotherham/Whiston area,

Hi Linda, I am also interested in your Savage family of Rotherham, and Thomas Savage. Did you Savage family originate from Rotherham, and if so, how far back do they go ?

Best regards,
Hugh Savage,
Worthing,
Sussex.

denlin
05-09-2010, 07:20
Wow, that's an unfortunate name. Well, almost.

I think they mean Virginia

alanbofors
14-09-2010, 14:34
Hi seems I might be related to a witch found the luty family comes up in my family tree if your interested get in touch sory nothing about the savage family. My family also originally from the bramham area of yorkshire.

Alan Bellwood

gracie
14-09-2010, 16:38
Hi seems I might be related to a witch found the luty family comes up in my family tree if your interested get in touch sory nothing about the savage family. My family also originally from the bramham area of yorkshire.

Alan Bellwood

Hi Alan, I have an Elizabeth Luty born c 1836 and her father Thomas born c1797
in Bramham . Are these in your tree ?.

alanbofors
15-09-2010, 10:15
Hi Sorry no, mine is Ellen Luty born 1822, Married Hugh Bellwood 1855 they were both from the bramham, hunsingore, tadcaster area. She was his second wife.

Alan

ernest52
21-09-2010, 19:47
I am also trying to trace my dads family his name was ernest riley died 1961 and my gradad was also called ernest died 1961 and his wife was called ellen(nellie)died 1955/56?

enchi-meisie
18-02-2011, 22:10

Hi!

My family descends from this line. We are decendents of John Blanchard Savage, Thomas' brother. I also have some details. Would be great to hear from you and learn what information you have.

enchi-meisie
18-02-2011, 22:17

just seen your post. i am a descendant of john blanchard (thomas brother).maybe we can help each other ?.

Hi!

I am also a descendent of John Blanchard Savage. I have a family tree that my grandad gave me (someone in Sheffield did all the research). They have traced the family from Richard Savage of Bolton Percy (died in 1639, no birth date included). Please get in touch if you would like more information.

gracie
18-02-2011, 22:27
Hi Enchi I am a descendant of John Blanchard Savage , I too have gone back to the 1600s
Who was your Grandad ?.

enchi-meisie
18-02-2011, 22:29
If anyone has any information about any of the Savage famailies in and around Sheffield from 1500 to 1800, I would be most interested.

Hi!

I have a family tree, given to me by my late-grandfather, which shows our family settling in Sheffield. The first to settle in Sheffield being John Blanchard Savage (1832-1876).

enchi-meisie
18-02-2011, 22:32
Hi Enchi I am a descendant of John Blanchard Savage , I too have gone back to the 1600s
Who was your Grandad ?.

Hi Gracie!

His name was Ronald. Son of John and Mary.

Claire

gracie
18-02-2011, 22:39
Enchi I have PMd you.

enchi-meisie
18-02-2011, 22:42
Enchi I have PMd you.

Thanks. Will take a look now.

gracie
19-02-2011, 00:00
Enchi I have PMd you again.

cliffelad
21-02-2011, 19:35
does anyone have anymore info on the savages who worked from manor oaks farm,manor lane.i worked on the referbishment of the house now occupied by green estates.they left behind loads of paperwork in the old barn!

Mrs Overall
02-09-2011, 15:39
Hi Sorry no, mine is Ellen Luty born 1822, Married Hugh Bellwood 1855 they were both from the bramham, hunsingore, tadcaster area. She was his second wife.

Alan

Hiya im a friend of someone researching his Family history, he's sent me an email regarding this post mentioning the"Bellwood" name, as he's living in Leeds he's not a member of SF, but he's asked me to try and get in touch with you after browsing the forum...

I havent been on here for a while, can we still pm? if so i'll give you his email addy...:)

friend
02-09-2011, 17:53
I knew an Elise Savage,but that was though the probation , she has a bit of a drink problem, i Know she died about 20/25 years ago.I also knew a Gilbert Savage, i am not sure if ths was mother and son, though they did look like each other.Gilbert still livess on the manor. His wife Carol died a few years ago of cancer.they would be in their 60s