Intermediate guitar class starting soon

I'm the tutor for a WEA course covering all styles of guitar, including both electric and acoustic. Last term we looked at songs by the Eagles, Status Quo, Crowded house, the Beatles, Kaiser Chiefs, The Who, Rory Gallagher and Led Zeppelin. We've also looked at soloing, hammering, pulling off (!) and both left and right hand technique. You should be familiar with the basic chords, E, A D G major and minor and ideally have an idea what a barre chord is. We work from tab, so you don't need to read music.

Places are limited, so please get in touch to reserve a place. We meet on tuesday evenings at Woodseats junior school, with a bus stop right outside. Enrolment is on the opening night, 17th April and the course lasts 5 weeks. Fees are 20.50 (full), 16.50 concessions, with a 2.50 registration fee.

Hi

Do you do any evening courses for beginners? I've been wanting to learn for ages....

I am unable to make Tuesday evenings but if you do run other courses on other evenings I would be interested.

I'm the tutor for a WEA course covering all styles of guitar, including both electric and acoustic. Last term we looked at songs by the Eagles, Status Quo, Crowded house, the Beatles, Kaiser Chiefs, The Who, Rory Gallagher and Led Zeppelin. We've also looked at soloing, hammering, pulling off (!) and both left and right hand technique. You should be familiar with the basic chords, E, A D G major and minor and ideally have an idea what a barre chord is. We work from tab, so you don't need to read music.

Places are limited, so please get in touch to reserve a place. We meet on tuesday evenings at Woodseats junior school, with a bus stop right outside. Enrolment is on the opening night, 17th April and the course lasts 5 weeks. Fees are 20.50 (full), 16.50 concessions, with a 2.50 registration fee.

I'm actually a guitarist going the other way.

I've played since 1983 but after seeing the likes of Dr Ray Winston and Jo Brand reading music on that BBC programme (which I think is called Play It Again [?]), I really want to read music (over tab).

Thus, I've bought a book and already started. It's certainly a case of multi-tasking, remembering notes on the fretboard, notes on the musical stave and of course, what each note is worth.

That's the problem with tab IMO. It teaches you what to play without necessarily telling you what it is you're playing. With real music, at long last I intend to become really, really familiar with every note over the fretboard.

Chords and scales (pentatonic, blues, mixolydian etc) are fine, but I want to get -in a word - deeper into the music.

I'm actually a guitarist going the other way.

I really want to read music (over tab).

If poeple have the desire and patience to learn "proper" music, I'd encourage them all the way. Tab allows less driven people to at least know what notes are played in what order.

this sounds like it would suit me quite well....but... i cant do tuesdays and the location is bad for me... damn!

this sounds like it would suit me quite well....but... i cant do tuesdays and the location is bad for me... damn!

I'm no longer teaching this class, but offer 1 to 1 tuition in a variety of styles, looping and other effects a speciality. PM if interested.

If poeple have the desire and patience to learn "proper" music, I'd encourage them all the way. Tab allows less driven people to at least know what notes are played in what order.

Are you saying that the people who pay for your class are the type of people who don't have the drive to learn what you call "proper" music?

Fees are 20.50 (full), 16.50 concessions, with a 2.50 registration fee.

So that would be £23.00 full and £19.00 concessions then? Calling it a registration fee just makes you comparable to concert ticket vendors racking up an extra tenner through extra charges by the time youve paid your money.

When are these classes running again please? How do I get in touch with you?