Please suggest a lovely walk for Londoners

Hello People - I am having some friends to stay in May - poor dears live in London so never see any greenery! They are dead excited that we are going out for a walk (one of them studied in Sheff). We'd like to take them on about a two/three hour walk starting/ending at or near a pub for yummy lunch. We're not mountaineers but would love to get up nice and high for some beautiful views. And to blow away the cobwebs.

All your expert (;) ! lol!) recommendations are gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

S

Get to Castleton, nice walks, good pubs and a couple of caves.

last year we went down the Speedwell cavern (in Castleton)and really enjoyed it.

There are quite a few steps to negotiate but several old (older than us at 65) people in front of us took it slowly and they thought it was great too.

When we come up in May we'll take our g/daughter down.

Edit.

A walk from Grindleford to Hethersage along the river side, recommended here by "Me and Pippo", is a nice easy stroll which will take a couple of hours there and back and you can have a drink or tea and cake in Hathersage or as I did read in the Observer the cafe at Grindleford Station does a fantastic English breakfast.

Biggest bang for the buck has to be Win Hill!

Either from Ladybower/Yorkie Bridge or Hope.

B

B

If you're not mountain climbers forget Win Hill, its very steep. Castleton has got to be a good bet. Use car park in Castleton, as you come out of car park there is a stream with a path at the side of it. Follow the path till you reach a road, turn left down the road, keep going till the road becomes a foot path. Follow the path up the hill keeping to the left, this will take you up Mam Tor. Come down Mam Tor to the road, follow the road down Winnets Pass back to Castleton. Hope the weathers fine.

Thanks for all your answers! I think the Castleton option sounds good. Which car park (is it on the way to Winnats Pass?) Thanks again.

When you get into Castleton, theres a mini-roundabout where the visitors centre is which takes you to the car park. If it's busy, or you don't fancy paying and displaying, you can drive straight on, through the village, and park on the roadside further up. There's usually plenty of cars parked along there - that's slightly nearer for Winnats, but further from the pubs and chippy!

There`s also Chatsworth. Keep an eye out for the Walking Groups next walk, which hopefully will be a short one round Chatsworth park. Why not consider coming with us and giving it a try, that way you`ll know somewhere perfect to take an out-of-town visitor from first hand experience!

B

from Thornhill is the more pleasant walk, although as someone else has already said, the last stretch up to the summit is not exactly a gentle stroll....

There`s also Chatsworth. Keep an eye out for the Walking Groups next walk, which hopefully will be a short one round Chatsworth park. Why not consider coming with us and giving it a try, that way you`ll know somewhere perfect to take an out-of-town visitor from first hand experience!

Hi - quite interested in joining in with this. What do I do? Is it just a matter of checking posts? Thanks in advance. (Inspired by the lovely weather we've been having on and off and by the clocks going forward).

Hi - quite interested in joining in with this. What do I do? Is it just a matter of checking posts? Thanks in advance. (Inspired by the lovely weather we've been having on and off and by the clocks going forward).

Hi Samstar.

You`ll be very welcome if you do come! There is nothing you need to "do" to be able to go on a walk, just read the posts as you`ve said!

There are several options for getting there if you do decide to come.

Either come in your own transport, catch the bus mentioned in the thread, or get a lift from one of the regulars.

I`ve got room in my car if you`re anywhere along my route - where do you live?

Hi Scubz - just checked the main board and I am keen on this walk. I have a friend staying on Saturday night - so hopefully I can persuade her to come too (or chuck her out on early on Sunday!) I will check with her and get back to you. I live just off Abbeydale Road and the 218 goes past the end of my street. Might see you all on Sunday! Thanks again. S