View Full Version : I need a cheap mobile PAYG to recieve calls only

Tony
20-10-2004, 06:02
Whether he likes it or not my Dad is having a mobile :D.

I need a PAYG sim card that will stay live to receive calls even if it isn't always topped up each month.

Is there anything out there that does this?

some_boy
20-10-2004, 08:09
not sure if there is anything that does that specific job.

the mobile phone companies didnt like the idea of people having mobiles on PAYG that they didnt spend lots of money on.

I have a cheap phone im selling, and you can pick up a cheap sim, then id recommend just not topping it up.

as long as he has a few pence on, he can recieve calls.

also if your worried that he might use it and spend all the credit, just bar outgoing calls.

only way i can think you can achieve your aim.

pm me if you have any questions

wendy
20-10-2004, 09:30
I'd recommend you get one with a virgin sim card in as they don't have a time limit on theirs. I think they are currently doing a nokia at 39.99 or thereabouts.

Tony
20-10-2004, 17:06
Well I'm now the proud owner of 4, (yes that's 4!) O2 sim cards and numbers that I applied for from a link on SF (thanks whoever it was :))

The small print says that they will be barred (even for receiving) if they aren't topped up every month!

I didn't want to buy a new handset because I know it's just for him to have in case he breaks down or I want to call him, but does anyone do anything where I can just get a cheap or free sim card to do the job?

:help:

wendy
20-10-2004, 17:15
You can buy virgin sim cards separately too I think they are about 10 including 5 of credit.

Sorry, I could have told you that before but I thought he needed a new phone too!

Tony
20-10-2004, 17:45
That sounds spot on Wendy - thanks! :thumbsup:

spook
20-10-2004, 22:03
tony - can recommend virgin and prolly best deal is off of ebay - simcard comes with 5 airtime already.

ToryCynic
20-10-2004, 22:12
Ditto Virgin - I've been with them for ages. Excellent lot.

Alex

Draggletail
21-10-2004, 18:50
Originally posted by Tony
Well I'm now the proud owner of 4, (yes that's 4!) O2 sim cards and numbers that I applied for from a link on SF (thanks whoever it was :))

The small print says that they will be barred (even for receiving) if they aren't topped up every month!

I didn't want to buy a new handset because I know it's just for him to have in case he breaks down or I want to call him, but does anyone do anything where I can just get a cheap or free sim card to do the job?

The sim link was me. Are you 100% sure about the top up restriction, Tony? I didn't think any of the networks had that sort of restriction on top ups. (5 years ago, maybe) just a bit puzzled about this. I have an unregistered 02 online sim you could have (free) but presumably it's the same as the one you have got? This one is called 'online pay as you go'

coopster1974
21-10-2004, 19:00
Originally posted by Tony

I had one of those and stopped using it about 18 months ago when I went onto contract.

Funnily enough I tried it in my phone the other day and could still make and receive calls on it!!!

Draggletail
21-10-2004, 23:18
I checked the small print re tony's post on 02 sims and was shocked to find that they DO say they will cut you off if you don't top up 10 every 90 days:o
Maybe they are just 'trying it on' Coopster. They seem desparate to give away huge amounts of free sims, so they obviously need to expand there customer base

wendy
22-10-2004, 00:13
T-Mobile have a similar clause with their too and I'm not absolutely certain but I think Vodaphone do too - I know they used to. Virgin is the only one I've come across that doesn't.

Greybeard
24-10-2004, 12:16
Originally posted by draggletail
I checked the small print re tony's post on 02 sims and was shocked to find that they DO say they will cut you off if you don't top up 10 every 90 days:o
Maybe they are just 'trying it on' Coopster. They seem desparate to give away huge amounts of free sims, so they obviously need to expand there customer base

I have an old O2 payg simm, it was converted (on the phone) from contract about two years ago. I've only topped up twice for 10 since then and never been cut off or warned that I will be.

I think they leave it connected so they can keep sending me text messages about their new deals :D