Wentworth Walk Sunday 11th March 11.0 am

A walk will take place Sunday 11th March on a circular route from Elsecar railway station, through Street and Hoober to Nether Haugh, and then back via Wentworth Park, Wentworth village and Elsecar Heritage Centre.

As far as I`m aware, although I`ll confirm this nearer the time, there is a train which leaves Sheffield at 10.39 and arrives at Elsecar at 11.0 precisely. The walk will commence when the train arrives.

This is not an arduous walk, but is very picturesque, taking in the follies on the Earl of Fitzwilliams estate, such as Hoober Stand, The Mausoleum and Needles Eye, which are all fascinating structures, as well as Wentworth Woodhouse, the largest house in the country.

As there will be lots of stops along the way, including the attractions at Wentworth Garden Centre, for those who are interested, I would anticipate the walk to take at least 5 hours.

There are refreshments at the garden centre and in Wentworth village, as well as a dog-friendly pub, the Rockingham Arms in Wentworth towards the end of the walk. Total distance possibly 6-7 miles.

Count me in,too! A lift will be available once again,for folks living in my area.

*********************** WALK INFORMATION *****************

(No 1)

I have just been told by my Rotherham colleagues that one of the follies on this walk,the Needles Eye, is a momument built by one of the 19th Century Earls of Fitzwilliam, to fulfill a bet he made to a friend. Apparently the bet was that the young Earl bragged to his pal that he "could drive a horse and carriage throughthe eye of a needle". So he built a large replica of a needle on a hillside, and won his bet!

Just a little anecdote to tempt any would be walkers!

More to follow in due course hehe!

Definitely wanna go on this walk - was great last time !

Lots of info on the needles eye here - including details of the musket ball holes i talked about last time we were there - believed to be due to a firing squad...

http://www.dacha.freeuk.com/wfolly/1ne0-0.htm

:gag: :gag:

Definitely wanna go on this walk - was great last time !

Lots of info on the needles eye here - including details of the musket ball holes i talked about last time we were there - believed to be due to a firing squad...

http://www.dacha.freeuk.com/wfolly/1ne0-0.htm

:gag: :gag:

Hey Grissom, cheers for the link. Although I know a bit about the history of the place, there`s loads in the official Wentworth website that I didnt know, or had forgotten. The bear pit for instance, thats not commonly known about, and can be seen from the formal gardens that are inside the Garden Centre, if we get time to go in there.

Incidentally, some smashing pics from Sunday, keep up the good work!

Wentworth Brewery also have a popular session beer named after it. :)

http://www.wentworth-brewery.co.uk/product2.aspx?id=46

I only just matched the two up. :rolleyes:

Apparently, if you e-mail and ask the Brewery, they will give you a guided tour of the brewery, if you fancy it! Or maybe thats an idea for another day, seeing as the drinking may become staggering, and priorities would change with it

Hmmm, I'm tempted by this one Scubz. 6-7 miles is fine, but how many hills are there? If we need to be roped together, I'm staying in. :D

Hmmm, I'm tempted by this one Scubz. 6-7 miles is fine, but how many hills are there? If we need to be roped together, I'm staying in. :D

No good is it Kristian, feeling ropey on a sunday morning!

Re the walk, there are one or two slight inclines, but its mainly flat, and on good paths too.

One bit of info for you. I had a phone call from the Fitzwilliam Estate office today saying that although the Mauseleum grounds don`t officially open until May, they are going to let us in free of charge on that Sunday, seeing as we`re a respected organisation (apparently). They`re going to send me a letter giving permission! I hope a few turn up now, would look silly if there just 3 or 4!

Hope you can make it!

:o Wow Scubz!!! You have got friends in high places!

Count me and Andrea in for this one, of course. If we are getting priority treatment at the estate, should one attend in one's best satin gown and sequinned walking boots?

:banana: :banana: :banana: Great work,scubz! Thank you!

Try to come along won't you,Kristian? (And Meaks,of course).It'll be great to see both of you,again.