Paint fumes - anyone reacted badly?

My partner did the gloss paint in the downstairs loo, hall stairs and landing including a lot of bannisters, yesterday. Today me and the two little ones are poorly.

What symptoms would you expect from a reaction to paint fumes? I admit that we could just have a virus, but we all have slightly different symptoms.

I've had bad headaches from paint fumes in enclosed spaces - did you open the windows to ventilate the place?

Typically it's the gloss paints that use VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) as their solvent base - the ones that smell 'chemically', basically - that you need to watch out for.

I try and use non-VOC based paints these days.

I don't know if you've still got painting to do or if it's all finished, but in case you do here's a tip that really works: Cut an onion in half and leave it in the corner of the room while you're painting. It neutralises all the fumes from the paint, so you get no smell at all. But don't eat the onion afterwards. :gag:

I hope y'all feel better soon.

I have experienced the same symptoms as Jo states, and mine were from Willco quick drying gloss.

I was going to say the same as purdy...... but she beat me to it.

Paints and aerosols of all descriptions cause asthma attacks and headaches for me- and that includes some non-smelly glosses and emulsion paints too.

The onion thing doesn't work for me- the only thing that works is lots of Ventolin and fresh air.

The quick drying ones are often worse, because they use the VOCs more - that's why they dry quickly; the carrier liquid evaporates off faster than with the slower drying paints.

The onion trick I'll have to try - but best bet now is to get the windows open and ventilate the house.

The other one that works for me if i can't keep windows open is to light numerous candles (in safe holders, obviously) as these will slowly but effectively burn off the VOCs in the air.

I once cooked a large curry (I like the smell) to over power the paint smell, but the combined smell of curry and gloss paint is just :gag:

Personally i can't see how the onions work, and it has been recommended to me by a few decorators.

It's a bit like spraying an air freshener in a room when someone trumps, the gas is still present even though you can't smell it.

Only good ventilation will disperse it. :)

Personally i can't see how the onions work, and it has been recommended to me by a few decorators.

It's a bit like spraying an air freshener in a room when someone trumps, the gas is still present even though you can't smell it.

Only good ventilation will disperse it. :)

Though I'm flailing about in the dark here, I think the molecules of the gas that onions give off (which we all know about as it's what makes our eyes water) lock onto the particles of the paint gas, so they neutralise each other chemically, rather than acting as a mask. The gas isn't still there, it's changed into a different chemical form. I think. :help:

i think that also the onion absorbs the fumes, as when you've done with it, it stinks of paint fumes and not much like an onion any more!

My partner did the gloss paint in the downstairs loo, hall stairs and landing including a lot of bannisters, yesterday. Today me and the two little ones are poorly.

What symptoms would you expect from a reaction to paint fumes? I admit that we could just have a virus, but we all have slightly different symptoms.

My brother suffers from inflamation of the throat, asthma attacks, and his head/face swells up and goes a sort of reddy/purple: as a reaction to paint fumes, and cement also.