View Full Version : Car siezed by police

lisa2402
19-02-2007, 20:38
out of curiosity does anybody know, a friend of mine had their car siezed by police because of no insurance can be claimed and driven back by me who has fully comp insurance to drive any car.

im fully aware theres a charge to collect the car and a daily fee.

if not can you actually go down and collect your belongings from inside the car?

tinkabel
19-02-2007, 20:43
what i really don't get is why people buy cars and don't get insurance and to drive them with no insurance really winds me up :mad:

anyway i'm not 100% sure you can but i'm pretty sure you'd be allowed to collect belongings, phone and check.

Cyclone
19-02-2007, 20:48
I believe that for your 3rd party on another vehicle (with permission) cover to be valid, someone has to have the car insured as their primary vehicle (not fully comp, just insured at all).
So no, you couldn't. Perhaps you could squeeze your friend into the car just before it's crushed though?

Magneteer
19-02-2007, 20:50
No you can't. You have to show a valid certificate of insurance relevant to that particular vehicle. Otherwise, all someone like your friend would have to do is get one of their mates to flash their own insurance to the police and drive the car away probably to be used again without proper insurance and the whole exercise would be a complete waste of time and money.

Trickle
19-02-2007, 21:07
www.dayinsure.com

Foot
19-02-2007, 21:53
a friend of mine had their car siezed by police because of no insurance

Oh dear what a shame.

Twiglet
19-02-2007, 22:00
www.dayinsure.com

You have to show insurance that covers the day the car was actually seized, i.e. prove it wasn't being driven illegally, and that covers the person driving it. What would be the point otherwise, hardly a deterrant.

troubledjoe
19-02-2007, 22:06
and its 105 pound recovery plus 12 quid per day storage. so 117 pounds for the first dat increasing by 12 pound every day after that!

theres a lesson to be learned.

Trickle
19-02-2007, 22:41
You have to show insurance that covers the day the car was actually seized, i.e. prove it wasn't being driven illegally, and that covers the person driving it. What would be the point otherwise, hardly a deterrant.

Hmmm. I dont see why he cant day insure his mate's car.

have no prosecution or police enquiry pending

All the stated exclusions seem to be about the person and not the car. As logically it would be.

---
Edit: I've just realised what you are trying to say.

I'm suggesting they day insure it for a tenner or whatever to get it out of there which was the purpose of the thread :)

whitewitch
19-02-2007, 22:47
I believe that for your 3rd party on another vehicle (with permission) cover to be valid, someone has to have the car insured as their primary vehicle (not fully comp, just insured at all).
So no, you couldn't. Perhaps you could squeeze your friend into the car just before it's crushed though?

This is correct, i am fully comprehensive, but if i drive someone elses car then im only 3rd party, if the other car is not insured then im not covered. Some mechanics have full insurance (those that go and fetch cars in) as they have to drive cars that are insured and not insured. If your friends car is in the compound then you will get charged so much per day, get it out quick:)

Trickle
19-02-2007, 22:53
Edit no.4: ugh I'm going to bed, my brain (cell) hurts.

1Man&hisBMW
19-02-2007, 22:54
you can get daily insurance from norwich union direct aswell

kingdon
20-02-2007, 00:39
out of curiosity does anybody know, a friend of mine had their car siezed by police because of no insurance can be claimed and driven back by me who has fully comp insurance to drive any car.

if not can you actually go down and collect your belongings from inside the car?

is about time you dump 'friends' like that, as it so wrong to drive without insurance

Dark Moomin
20-02-2007, 07:50
You can't insure somethign that doesn't belong to you - he has no financial interest in the car (ie he doesn't stand to loose if something happens to it, as he doesnn't own it) therefore cannot insure it.

His mate could day insure it - but whats the point - why not either accept the loss, or buy full insurance like a normal person.

neeeeeeeeeek
20-02-2007, 08:33

Like someone else mentioned, your fully comp insurance only covers you to drive another car third party if that car is insured already.

Nice one to the cops, shame they don't do more of this. I hope the car and all that sail in it get crushed!
:)

carcrash
20-02-2007, 08:39
Have you thought about asking the police, they tend to know about these things

Mr Goose
20-02-2007, 08:41
Nice one to the cops, shame they don't do more of this. I hope the car and all that sail in it get crushed!
:)

I agree, I know several people who have been involved in accidents with uninsured drivers.

Driving uninsured generally links to other issues - no MOT, the driver being banned etc...

Vulcan B2
20-02-2007, 08:50
No sympathy. We don't like paying for boring things like insurance either, but we do it!:(

RazorSHarp
20-02-2007, 08:57
There is a current loophole in the law that allows you to collect the car if you turn up with a valid insurance certificate for it. And it doesn't have to be from the date it was seized, just current.
Although I doubt that they would accept a single days insurance certificate and to be honest, pro rata that would be more expensice than setting up a monthly direct debit for valid third party fire and theft.
The driver will (should) still be prosectuted for no driving with no insurance but can still retrieve the car.
The penalties for this type of crime compared to the damage the ignorant driver could cause are pathetic. If I knew a friend that was driving uninsured I would at the very least offer to contribute to the cost of getting some.

20-02-2007, 09:01

yes you can go down and claim the car if you are insured to drive any car, i know this because i used to work at the compund where they take such cars. failing that you can just get a cover note & use that, most companys will supply cover notes without actually having anything to pay.

you'll probably have a fee of around 90 quid to pay, and yes you can go and collect property from the vehicle, after all it is your property. make sure you take your DL and insurance documents. good luck :thumbsup:

millwak
20-02-2007, 09:37
Why do people drive without insurance????

Then worry about valuables in the car, such as phones etc. How about not having a mobile phone, but spending money on things such as car insurance, like everyone else does.

Things like this wind me up!

upinwath
20-02-2007, 10:21
No insurance = twit.

Let the car get crushed and sod him. Still if you help him out you may be the next driver to have to sort out the mass of paperwork after being hit by an uninsured driver.
I been there and it's a pigbag of a game when one of these idiots runs into your parked car.

I do hope the driver gets a massive fine and looses the car.

Twiglet
20-02-2007, 10:29
There is a current loophole in the law that allows you to collect the car if you turn up with a valid insurance certificate for it. And it doesn't have to be from the date it was seized, just current.

This wasn't what I was told by a police officer. He said that it must be proved that the car was being legally driven at the time it was seized, i.e. insurance covering that day and the person driving it, i.e. current day insurance would NOT be adequate, you can't backdate insurance. If the car was being driven illegally there's no way out of it, it will be crushed. Perhaps it varies from force to force.

lyndix
20-02-2007, 10:45
should`ve had it insured in the first place, then he wouldn`t be in this situation.

Mr Goose
20-02-2007, 10:55
should`ve had it insured in the first place, then he wouldn`t be in this situation.

I agree

Dont help him, instead go and torch his house - see if that is insured

fox20thc
20-02-2007, 11:00

You are quite right Razorsharp, however the insurance companies and the police have seen a massive upsurge in this activity and steps are being taken to shut the loophole down.

steevie/d
20-02-2007, 11:04
Totally Agree With Other Posts Should Be Insured In The First Place Take Your Chance And Pay The Fine And Costs And Loose The Car Serves Him Right

muddycoffee
20-02-2007, 11:47
yes you can go down and claim the car if you are insured to drive any car, i know this because i used to work at the compund where they take such cars. failing that you can just get a cover note & use that, most companys will supply cover notes without actually having anything to pay.

you'll probably have a fee of around 90 quid to pay, and yes you can go and collect property from the vehicle, after all it is your property. make sure you take your DL and insurance documents. good luck :thumbsup:

It is clear that your information is a few years out of date, because I know that the fee has been around 125 for 18months to 2 years at least.

lisa2402
20-02-2007, 12:46
update:

thank you for the replies, im sure he knows now whats right and wrong. but i wasn't asking if it was right or wrong i was interested in the facts.

he has spoken to police and they say he cannot get the belongings out of his car at all full stop.

in order to claim his car back he has to produce his docs and then they will give him a release form for his vehicle.

as a matter of interest his insurance had expired by 2 days as he didn't realise as his wife always deals with it, he knows this is not an excuse but he does feel the punishment doesnt fit the crime.

he has always been lagit and this one simple error has cost him dearly. IN10 and 6 points and a heavy fine that will follow.also the release costs for his vehicle.

as far as im concerned this matter is dealt with and i'd like to thank you all again for your relevent replies.

RazorSHarp
20-02-2007, 13:15
This wasn't what I was told by a police officer. He said that it must be proved that the car was being legally driven at the time it was seized, i.e. insurance covering that day and the person driving it, i.e. current day insurance would NOT be adequate, you can't backdate insurance. If the car was being driven illegally there's no way out of it, it will be crushed. Perhaps it varies from force to force.

That's probably got more to do with him being prosecuted for driving whilst uninsured. Trust me a valid inurance cert and your driving docs will enable you to get the car back. It's wrong but totally within the law.

Your totally right about back dating insurance but that's not what you have to do to claim the car back.

tallpaul
03-03-2007, 17:55
as a matter of interest his insurance had expired by 2 days as he didn't realise as his wife always deals with it, he knows this is not an excuse but he does feel the punishment doesnt fit the crime.

he has always been lagit and this one simple error has cost him dearly. IN10 and 6 points and a heavy fine that will follow.also the release costs for his vehicle.

His opinion that the punishment doesn't fit the crime would be much different of course if an uninsured driver had collided with his car, or knocked one of his relatives down.

Of course, he'd be banging on the police station door wanting the offending driver to be hung, drawn and quartered...

"One simple error"... yep.. perhaps it was. But it's an expensive mistake, as he's found out.

Also with an IN10 on his licence, each renewal of his insurance should be a painful experience too...

I know I sound harsh....but it's just one of those things. You have to make sure your affairs are in order with things like car insurance..and a simple note in a diary or on a calendar near the renewal date is all that is required...Just in case the insurance company doesn't send a renewal notice out..(WHICH THEY ALWAYS DO, IN PLENTY OF TIME)

daftlad
03-03-2007, 18:03

Lets hope for all us honest people around here, the police keep it until your friend gets insured, or scraps it all together. One less uninsured car off the road is a start.