Sign in to follow this  

What is Council Housing?

Hi Everyone!

I am moving to Sheffield from Canada and have heard mention "council housing"....what is it exactly? I probably am aware of what it is, but might be using a different term for it. The general response on the forum seems to think it is a bad thing so I would like to know before I buy something in a coucil housing area.

Thanks so much! :D

It's housing provided by the council (local government) for people who cannot afford to or do not wish to own their own property / rent privately. The poorer you are the cheaper you get these houses. Obviously, a side effect is that the undesirables in society get housed in these places, and that has a detrimental effect on whole council estates, despite 99% of residents being perfectly upstanding citizens.

If you can afford it, then in most cases you'd buy or rent in a private area.

Thank you Monk. I appreciate the explination! :banana:

Arky...it's pretty similar to what you probably know in your country as 'co op housing':?

There is council housing for the poor of Sheffield like me then the next stage up is to be an asylem seeker and get better housing without waiting and not being English.........okay i'm of to Greece to try this over there bet i dont get a house and car or a job :evil:

and not all council estates are bad either ;)

take a place like wisewood etc. it has the aire of leafy suburb :)

alot of the council housing was bought out by its tenants which leaves a few "select" estates where the majority own and tend to be nice areas :)

Hang on a bit though, if you are moving to Sheffield and expect a council house you have no chance at all anyway.

You have to be on the waiting list for a start, sometimes for years and only if you live in the Sheffield catchment area are you allowed to register.

You will have to buy or rent from a private landlord, the latter i would avoid.

not alll are bad but in myexperience many, sadly are quite bad..

Hang on a bit though, if you are moving to Sheffield and expect a council house you have no chance at all anyway.

You have to be on the waiting list for a start, sometimes for years and only if you live in the Sheffield catchment area are you allowed to register.

You will have to buy or rent from a private landlord, the latter i would avoid.

Pay attention ;)

Hi Everyone!

.... I would like to know before I buy something in a coucil housing area.

:D