Sunday 11th Feb - Porter Valley/Ringinglow

Here's a nice suggestion from young master Taxman and others for a nice jaunt next weekend.

Starting at 10.30, walking up through Endcliffe park and the Porter Valley, calling at the Alpacca farm, a pint (for those who want) in the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow then back via Limb Valley and Whirlow Hall farm.

Suitable for all plus dogs - with only one major climb. Completely circular walk with pub at end for those who want.

There are already 4 or 5 interested in this one, so it looks like it might be a fair old crowd of us! :clap:

My knitting radar picked up a blip from this direction... Alpaca farm? Anyone fancy taking along some shears and a few carrier bags? Cream fleece preferable, but dark brown will do at a push :lol: .

Count me in!

I know most of the route, but have no idea how far it might be, any idea the mileage......roughly?

My neck of the woods. I must have done it a hundred times by now. I should be there, if I don't suffer uPVC poisoning, brick dust suffocation, muscular paralysis with vomiting, alarm clock malfunction or sudden death.

Hey this sounds good. Do you have details of how to get there on bus ?

And what do Alpaca's taste like ? :)

I'm in.

I think the Norfolk Arms is being refurbished,though.It was last time I drove past it.There was scaffolding all around it.I *think* it's closed.

If my cold as gone and my wife gives me permission, I will join the next walk to Whirlow Bridge.

I'll check regarding the Norfolk Arms. Last week it was being refurbished. (When that is done, I doubt if people wearing Rambling Clothes are going to find a welcome).

Where at 10.30 in Encliffe Park does it start from?

Guest Mod_Man

Hi there all. After having a chat with a lovely member of the walking group I have decided to partake in this walk. I hope you don't mind. I will be on my best behaviour and look forward to meeting you fellow walkers.

Of course we don't mind Mod_Man! Standard Walkers Group policy is "the more the merrier" I reckon! :thumbsup:

Grissom - not sure about buses yet... we'll try and look into it and post more detailed meet-up instructions soon.

As for the taste of alpaccas, well, as a vegetarian I would not know. :o Maybe the wool gets stuck in your teeth? :confused:

After chatting with Mod_Man about this I found myself asking if I could join him. He suggested I ask you all nicely so...

Please can I come too? :P

I'll do my best not to complain about sore feet, but how far is the walk? I intend on doing the full circular. And are there any muddy bits (dependent upon weather obviously)?

Hurrah, more new people!

Taxman reckons the walk is about 8 miles. I'm sure there will be some minor muddyness, although looking at the weather forecast for this weekend, it might be too cold and have all frozen over! Still, a good frost usually means nice clear views I suppose :)

Link below to the first walk SF Walkers did along this route if anyone is interested:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=136827

This link shows the statue where we are meeting near hunters bar roundabout

http://www.citysnapper.org/dm/sheff2002/08/2002080615endcliffe.jpg

Hey this sounds good. Do you have details of how to get there on bus ?

Apparently, there are loads that go up Ecclesall Road - the 272 goes from the interchange if anyone needs it. It leaves at 10.00, gets to stop 10.09.