Sign in to follow this  

Places near the M1

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone knew anywhere suitable to live near junction 30 of the M1. My partner and I are moving to Sheffield and need somewhere for him to join the M1 to commute to Derby.

If anyone out there is doing a similar commute - is is manageable ?.

Thanks for your help,

Claire

Hi Claire,

I am new to the Sheffield area, moved here 2 weeks back due to hubby's job. He commutes into Sheffield so I can't help too much on the drive down to Derby but we are living just off J31 in Kiveton Park and did look at all the areas from J29 - J34 and as we are not city people and wanted to be close to the M1 so chose this are.

We did look at Clowne, Barlborough, Killamarsh & Staveley, I would recommend looking back at all the previous posts as there was one listing good and bad areas but I really feel it's best to look at a place and get the feel for it yourself if that's possible. Not necessarily my opinion but some here said Killamarsh had a car crime problem, I don't like the feel of it but that's just me.

Barlborough has a new development of homes, very big and nice if that's where your budget is I think these are up to £300K with older properties at £140K+. Clowne is close and I thought was nice but not much to it.

If you can afford the extra time I think if you look around J31 there will be more options and you will find property for a lower budget.

After only 2 weeks here I am still learning but if you want any info on J31 areas post here or pm me and will do my best to help.

Cheers,

Belinda

Don't take this as a criticism, but I'm curious as to why you're buying in Sheffield when he's working in Derby ?

Yeah. The motorway is a b*tch all the way down from J30 to Derby.

Clare,

Theres a new housing development (still under development) just off Junction 30 in Renishaw village. The houses there are quite pricey thought buts its just under 2 miles off the M1.....:D

Could try the Broadmeadows housing estate in South Normanton - thats Junction 28, and would make the commute to Derby nice and easy cos its just 15 miles down the A38 - wouldn't even need to go on the M1 at all. Not a bad area to live in either,

Probably not really helpful, but I commute by train from Sheffield to Derby. Train journey is no more than 40 minutes, and there are 3 trains per hour.

Or if you live in the south of the city you could drive to Chesterfield station instead, where the train only takes 20 mins to Derby.

I'm told by colleagues that the drive into Derby at rush hour is a nightmare.

we have nice 3 bed semi detached house to let - very close to rail and motorway network (less than 10 mins) - has large detached garage, nice residential area, new kitchen, modern bathroom, mostly newly decorated, new lounge carpet, other carpets good

Claire,

We live in Renishaw at Junction 30 and I daily commute to Nottingham. Its an easy commute if you watch the time. I work from 7.30ish to 4.30 and can do the journey in 45 mins each way most days, apart from when it rains and evryone on the M1 seems to slow down!!

stephen

my other half is making the commute from sheffield to derby on the train every day, so that's doable, and I pass junction 28 at about 7:00 on my way to Telford, if you leave it much later on the motorway thought the traffic is a bitch.

I''ve been looking at Renishaw and Barlborough myself, I reckon that it would save me about 1 hr of my 2.5 - 3 hr commute on the way home, even though it's only the last 25 miles of a 125 journey.

Being near Junc 31 wouldn't add more than about 5 mins to your journey, just don't make the mistake of being on the other side of the town centre.

Originally posted by monkjack

Don't take this as a criticism, but I'm curious as to why you're buying in Sheffield when he's working in Derby ?

have you ever been to derby? obviously not

my house is up for sale soon in Beighton.

3 bed detached on a cul-de-sac. very very nice location and close to all amenities.

just thought id plug it :)