Sheffield slang

I was just reading a thread and a phrase popped up that made me realise that moving to Sheffield may require more research! Are ther any typically Sheffield words/phrases that I, as a newcomer, should learn?

Many Sheffielders have the inability to distinguish between "while" and "until" (though I've never understood why). You may often hear people saying "I'm working 9 WHILE 1", but beware of more confusing examples like "Don't cross WHILE the green man comes on".

There used to be a brilliant book in the early 80's, that many of you will remember - "Sheffieldish - a Beginners Guide" (the one with the pink cover). It taught the reader a number of Sheffield phases in a real funny way. I'm not sure whether you can still get it anymore new, but this link may help you get it used...?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0900660627/qid%3D1096995933/026-5794667-0740410

The only problem is... I'm not sure how funny it'd be for someone not originally from the area ???

So... anyone else remember this book or any of the phrases in it??

Are you a bloke, Paddywack? Don't panic if a bus driver calls you 'Love'. It's nothing personal. Pretend he called you 'mate'.

Although BUNS in Liverpool are for making butties, Sheffield BUNS are sweet and sticky.

'Be reet' is intended to mean 'it will be alright', but can be translated as 'I don't give a stuff, it's your problem'. So be VERY careful of that one!

Do you know what 'mardy' means?

Every Sheffielder does but most of them have a lot of difficulty telling outsiders just what it means. Anybody care to try - must admit it's beyond me.

misery-guts in some parts of the country

Originally posted by extaxman

Do you know what 'mardy' means?

Every Sheffielder does but most of them have a lot of difficulty telling outsiders just what it means. Anybody care to try - must admit it's beyond me.

Whiney, whingey, miserable, grizzly.

A good start would be to watch Fred Dibnah on tv. If you can understand him, you will not be far off!

t020 wrote:

Many Sheffielders have the inability to distinguish between "while" and "until" (though I've never understood why). You may often hear people saying "I'm working 9 WHILE 1", but beware of more confusing examples like "Don't cross WHILE the green man comes on".

I have never even noticed that discrepancy until now!. I guess i am a Sheffielder through and through :)

I use the word "mardy" and I live in New Zealand and no-one has heard of it,

We used to call people "mardy bum", if kids were grissly crying, not getting there own way etc.

As a Sheffielder myself there are a few you must listen out for:

Oreight - Hello

Be reight - It will be OK

Mashin - Making a cup of tea

Neow - No

Goodun - Good one

E'ad - Head

Snap - Food

These may well be known throughout the Country, just thought they may confuse you a bit!.

Dan

I'll not even go into the whole fishcake, rissole arguement

Originally posted by danielford99

Snap - Food

WTF?! How??? :huh: