Superstitions And Pregnancy

My other half, bless her, refuses to allow baby clothes or the new pram or cot into the house until after the babys born. Its all stored at her sisters house. I asked her why and she told me its bad luck to keep things for the baby in the same house as the pregnant mother.

Do you have any superstitions like this? She was told at the beginning of her pregnancy that if she eats lots of red meat, she`ll have a boy and lots of fruit for a girl...

Not quite pregnancy, but when I was born my Aunt refused to let my mother visit her until my mum and I had been 'churched'. This was like a little thanksgiving service for safe delivery of mother and baby.

if a woman falls pregnant its a sure sign life will be difficult...

I'm not one for superstitions, to do with pregnancy or otherwise, but I'd go with whatever the pregnant woman wanted re. not bringing baby things into the house; anything to minimise the possibility of stress.

The one about eating different things to ensure different sexes is nonsense, especially if it's meant to apply once she's actually pregnant. I suppose the 'kernel of truth' aspect is that different conception environments might influence sperm motility, and what a woman eats might influence that. Whether it applies differently to X and Y-bearing sperm, and so influence the sex of the baby, I've no idea.

The way I looked at it was: is not bringing all that stuff into the house going to guarantee me a safe, well baby? No.

So I brought it all in and made sure I was well prepared and ready to go. (Except really big stuff, which I kept at other people's houses for the sake of space - and returned when he no longer needed it, lol).

But I agree with Hecate, there's no point messing with the hormonal...if a pregnant woman wants to keep all that stuff out because it makes her feel better...fine.

I bought my 1st pushchair when i wasn't even 12 weeks, ordered everything then too, by the time monster had arrived everything was in my flat.

Not quite pregnancy, but when I was born my Aunt refused to let my mother visit her until my mum and I had been 'churched'. This was like a little thanksgiving service for safe delivery of mother and baby.

Ive heared of this expression before... like a pre-christening, yes?

A similar ritual, probably handed down from the mother in-law…

When we had our first born “Leah”, it was frowned upon to take her into another house until she had been to church.

So off we went to church, when there the wife reversed into a grave stone, I’m sure I heard a voice emanate from the bowels of the earth “Oh no! not again”

:suspect:

My dear ol' mum was incredibly superstitious. It used to make her life quite difficult sometimes, so I've tended to react against it (walking under ladders just to prove a point, kind of thing!). Anyway, she was horrified at the thought of my even buying the pram before baby was born, let alone having it in the house. Near apoplexy was achieved when she saw the pram was green!

ive been told to put my 1st baby's cot down and back up again when 2nd gets here. some have said for superstition and some have said to help 1st adjust.

I think super. are all a bit silly, if something happens are you really going to blame on that black cat/ladder/pram in house/open umbrella indoors? errr no